Picos, Cape Verde
|Municipality||São Salvador do Mundo|
|Civil parish||São Salvador do Mundo|
Picos, also known as Achada Igreja, is a town in the central part of the island of Santiago, Cape Verde. It is the capital of São Salvador do Mundo municipality. Picos is located 23 km northwest of the capital city of Praia, on the main road from Praia to Tarrafal via Assomada. Its name etymology are that several short and tall peaks and rock formation dominate the area, the main peak is not far in the north elevating 491 meters above sea level and around 400,000 to 200,000 years ago, it was a little taller and was a volcanic plug to the nearby mountains around Pico da Antónia. It was around 600 meters during the Ice Age. Nearby is the settlement of Faveta (probably the main name of Manipulo).
The natural park of Pico da Antónia is situated south of the town. It is also the east of the parish of São Salvador do Mundo and has its church.
The football (soccer) club of União de Picos is based in the town, it is also the club of the municipality which is also a parish, they have a football (soccer) field but the club plays in Assomada at Estádio de Cumbém.
|1990 (Census)||3,414|
It was a famine-stricken area in 1855 as was the rest of the island, the governor temporarily moved the residence to Picos, not Praia.
- "2010 Census results". Instituto Nacional de Estatística Cabo Verde (in Portuguese). 17 March 2014.
- Vieira, Henrique Lubrano de Santa Rita (1993). A Vila de Assomada. Associação dos Amigos do Concelho de Santa Catarina.
- Including the area around Picos
- "Discurso PM, Dr. José Maria Pereira Neves, na Cerimónia de Inauguração da Universidade de Santiago", Assomada, February 16, 2009
- Michel Cahen (dir.), "Vilas" et "cidades" : bourgs et villes en Afrique lusophone (preface by Catherine Coquery-Vidrovitch), L'Harmattan, Paris, 1989, p. 30 (ISBN 2-7384-0431-6)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Picos (Cape Verde).|
- Plano comunal de São Salvador do Mundo (May 2009, p. 28) (in Portuguese)
- "Achada Igreja/Achada Leitão road to open Thursday". A Semana (in Portuguese). May 11, 2011.
- "Moradores da zona alta d Achada Igreja reivindicam melhores condições de vida" (in Portuguese). RTC TV news - video. September 14, 2011.
- "Água chega a centenas de casas em Achada Igreja e Achada Leitão". A Nação (in Portuguese). December 14, 2011.