Picos, also known as Achada Igreja, is a town in the central part of the island of Santiago, Cape Verde. It is the capital of São Salvador do Mundo municipality. Picos is located 23 km northwest of the capital city of Praia, on the main road from Praia to Tarrafal via Assomada.
The natural park of Pico da Antónia is situated south of the town.
On February 14, 1834 Portuguese colonial governor Manuel António Martins decided to transfer the colonial seat from Ribeira Grande (now Cidade Velha) to Picos.
It was a famine-stricken area in 1855 as was the rest of the island, the governor temporarily moved the residence to Picos, not Praia.
- ^ "2010 Census results". Instituto Nacional de Estatística Cabo Verde (in Portuguese). 17 March 2014.
- ^ "Discurso PM, Dr. José Maria Pereira Neves, na Cerimónia de Inauguração da Universidade de Santiago", Assomada, February 16, 2009
- ^ Michel Cahen (dir.), "Vilas" et "cidades" : bourgs et villes en Afrique lusophone (preface by Catherine Coquery-Vidrovitch), L'Harmattan, Paris, 1989, p. 30 (ISBN 2-7384-0431-6)
- Plano comunal de São Salvador do Mundo (May 2009, p. 28) (Portuguese)
- "Achada Igreja/Achada Leitão road to open Thursday" (A Semana, May 11, 2011) (Portuguese)
- "Moradores da zona alta d Achada Igreja reivindicam melhores condições de vida" (RTC TV news - video, September 14, 2011) (Portuguese)
- "Água chega a centenas de casas em Achada Igreja e Achada Leitão" (A Nação, December 14, 2011) (Portuguese)