Pilipinas Commercial Basketball League
|Most recent season or competition:|
2016 PCBL Chairman's Cup
|Founded||October 11, 2015|
|Jumbo Plastic Linoleum Giants|
|Most titles||Jumbo Plastic Linoleum Giants (2 titles)|
Pilipinas Commercial Basketball League (also known as PCBL) was a commercial amateur basketball tournament based in the Philippines that caters to the development and grassroots program for future Filipino basketball players, inspired from the MICAA and the Philippine Basketball League (PBL). The league was established by nine commercial teams, some of which have played in the PBA D-League. The PCBL does not intend to compete with the existing semi-professional leagues that focuses on the development in Philippine basketball, including Filsports Basketball Association (FBA), PBA D-League and planned Countrywide Basketball League (CWBL). The chairman of the league was Buddy Encarnado, who was also the board governor representing the Sta. Lucia Realtors during its stint in the Philippine Basketball Association (PBA).
The PCBL is sanctioned and officiated by the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP), the Philippine governing body of basketball. The league was tasked by the SBP to form the national basketball teams that will participate in the Southeast Asia Basketball (SEABA) and the Southeast Asian Games, replacing the Gilas Cadets program.
The league envisions a three-conference first season (2015-2016). Its inaugural conference, the Founders Cup, began on October 11, 2015. The games were held at the Pasig City Sports Center and Filoil Flying V Arena. Games are aired on AksyonTV on a delayed basis.
The second conference, which started on March 2016, is envisioned to be an import-reinforced tournament, while the third conference called the Commissioner's Cup will be an invitational tournament, and the fourth conference Homegrown Cup will be an All-Filipino conference. The PCBL also planned to have out-of-town games in Baguio, Lipa, Batangas and Lucena.
The PCBL's second conference will be headed by five returning teams - Jumbo Plastic Linoleum Giants (Founder's Cup champion), Euro-Med, Supremo Lex Builders, Foton, Sta. Lucia Realty, - and new teams, Mighty Sports & SCTEX Road Warriors.
On May 27, 2016, the 2016 PCBL Chairman's Cup title was awarded to Jumbo Plastic Linoleum Giants setting the first record for back to back championship wins for the Pilipinas Commercial Basketball League, after beating the heavily star-studded team Mighty Sports 80-68 on game 3.
In October 2016, PCBL Chairman Buddy Encarnado officially bared that the league will expand its reach to Cebu by forming the PCBL-Cebu league. 11 teams have signified their intention to join the league, which will be start in January before the Sinulog Festival annual festivities. The league planned to stage games at the Minglanilla Sports Complex.
|Team||Company||Colors||Team Manager||Head Coach|
|Foton Toplanders||United Asia Automotive Group, Inc.||Alvin Lu / Nico Ocampo||Jonathan "Buds" Reyes|
|Jumbo Plastic Linoleum Giants||AliKaiser Manufacturing Corporation||Jefferson Dela Cruz||Stevenson Tiu|
|Mighty Sports||Mighty Sports Apparel and Accessories||Jean Alabanza||Mike Fermin|
|Biyaheng SCTEX||Manila North Tollways Corporation||Ronald Dulatre||Adonis Tierra|
|Sta. Lucia Realtors||Sta. Lucia Realty and Development Corporation||Buddy Encarnado||Bonnie Garcia|
|Supremo Lex Builders-Our Lady of Fatima University||Supremo Lex Architectural Design and Builders||Harlem Ruiz||Ralph Rivera|
- Ato Badolato (2015)
- Joel Banal (2016)
- Kama Motors
- Caida Tile Masters
- Cagayan Rising Suns
- Euro-Med Laboratories
Even the league lived only for several months, the league crowned Jumbo Plastic Linoleum Giants as its champions for both conferences in its one and only season.
|1||Jumbo Plastic||2–0||Euro-Med Laboratories|
- Terrado, Reuben (10 August 2015). "Newly-formed PCBL intent on finding own niche in basketball market, says Encarnado". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- Badua, Snow (5 August 2015). "Top companies sign up as PCBL aims to fill void in amateur commercial basketball". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- "New amateur league PCBL tasked by SBP to form PH's SEABA, SEA Games teams, says chair Buddy Encarnado". Interaksyon.com. Retrieved October 8, 2015.
- "PCBL under way at Pasig Sports Center". The Philippine Star. 10 October 2015. Retrieved 29 October 2015.
- Talao, Tito (March 3, 2016). "Ravena banners Mighty in PCBL". Manila Bulletin. Retrieved March 12, 2016.
- Joble, Rey (February 28, 2016). "Banal as PCBL commissioner". BusinessWorld. Retrieved March 1, 2016.
- "Mighty Sports thinking out big, ready to take act in fledgling PCBL". Spin.ph. February 6, 2016. Retrieved February 6, 2016.
- "Buddy Encarnado bares plans to bring PCBL to Cebu". Sports Interactive Network Philippines. September 23, 2016. Retrieved September 30, 2016.