Trams in Potsdam
|Locale||Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany|
The Potsdam tramway network (German: Straßenbahnnetz Potsdam) is a network of tramways forming part of the public transport system in Potsdam, the capital city of the federal state of Brandenburg, Germany.
The network opened on 12 May 1880: It was a horsecar system owned by the society Reymer & Masch, named Potsdamer Straßenbahn-Gesellschaft and consisted of a pair of lines. 1907 saw the introduction of electric trams which ran on a new line of 8 km. In 1908 the network was composed by 4 lines (named from A to D) and in 1949 by 5 (named from 1 to 5).
At the end of the 1950s, new streetcars models were introduced (typical during the DDR era), the Gothawagen (T57, G4-61, G4-65 and T2-62), produced in the Thuringian town of Gotha by the Gothaer Waggonfabrik.
In the 1980s, a pair of new routes were built: in 1984 through the new residential center in Babelsberg and in 1988 from Am Stern stop to the new south-eastern residential area in Drewitz. The Czech trams Tatra KT4 were introduced in 1993, and the modern Combino and Variotram in the 2000s.
The network consists, as of December 2014, of 7 lines:
|Bhf. Pirschheide ↔ Bhf. Rehbrücke|
|Kirschallee ↔ Marie-Juchacz-Straße|
|Glienicker Brücke ↔ Bhf. Rehbrücke|
|Schloß Charlottenhof ↔ Fontanestraße|
|Viereckremise ↔ Marie-Juchacz-Straße|
|(Bhf. Pirschheide ↔ Bisamkiez) only in Rush hour|
|Fontanestraße ↔ S Hauptbahnhof (↔ Bisamkiez) to Bisamkiez only in Rush hour|
- (German) BVG: Berliner public transport pdf maps showing fare zones
- (German) Fares of Berlin on BVG website
- (German) Günther Wolf-Dietger, Michael Wolf-Dietger, Machel Wolf-Dietger: "Potsdamer Nahverkehr: Straßenbahn und Obus in Brandenburgs Landeshauptstadt". Geramond-Verlag GmbH, Munich 1999 - ISBN 3-932785-03-7
- (German) Gothawagen in Potsdam
- (German) History of transport in Potsdam
- (German) Potsdam tram network infos on ViP website
- Note the DVG logo on the vehicle
- Bauer, Gerhard; Kuschinski, Norbert (1995). Die Straßenbahnen in Ostdeutschland [The Tramways in East Germany]. Band 3: Berlin, Brandenburg, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern [Volume 3: Berlin, Brandenburg, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern]. Aachen, Germany: Schweers + Wall. ISBN 3921679818. (German)
- Schwandl, Robert (2012). Schwandl's Tram Atlas Deutschland (in German and English) (3rd ed.). Berlin: Robert Schwandl Verlag. pp. 116–117. ISBN 9783936573336.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Trams in Potsdam.|
- Stadtwerke (and Verkehrsbetrieb) Potsdam (German)
- Potsdam Tramway (map, infos, pictures) at urbanrail.net
- Tram Travels: Verkehrsbetrieb Potsdam (ViP)
- Article about Potsdam Tramway at railway-technology.com
- Potsdam database / photo gallery and Potsdam tram list at Urban Electric Transit – in various languages, including English.
- Potsdam database / photo gallery at Phototrans – in various languages, including English.