Rangoon (2017 Tamil film)
|Directed by||Rajkumar Periasamy|
Fox Star Studios
|Written by||Rajkumar Periasamy|
|Cinematography||Anish Tharun Kumar|
AR Murugadoss Productions
Fox Star Studios
Rangoon is a 2017 Indian Tamil-language action crime drama film written and directed by Rajkumar Periasamy and produced by AR Murugadoss. The film features Gautham Karthik in the leading role and 8 Thottakkal fame Lallu in a prominent role. The film's soundtrack was composed by Vikram RH, while the background score was composed by Vishal Chandrasekhar.It is dubbed into Hindi as same name.
Venkat (Gautham Karthik) hails from Rangoon. His family has migrated to Chennai long time back in search of livelihood. After his father’s death, responsibility lies on Venkat’s shoulders to support his mother and sister Renu. Kumaran is Venkat’s close friend. Venkat and Kumaran works for an illegal gold merchant Gunaseelan (Siddique). Venkat’s sharpness earns the goodwill of Gunaseelan. Venkat also befriends Sasi (Daniel) who also works for Gunaseelan. Venkat falls in love with Natasha (Sana). Kumaran is married to Renu. Meanwhile there is DRI officer Syed (Anand) who wants to arrest Gunaseelan and his gang.
Gunaseelan gets a big deal to smuggle gold to Rangoon and gives the responsibility to Venkat who decides to have this as his last smuggling. Venkat, Kumaran and Sasi leave to Rangoon and successfully deliver the gold and they get cash of Rs.6 crore to be transported back to India. To their shock, the money is lost and they return to India without money. Gunaseelan gives them a week time to somehow find the money.
Sasi comes up with a plan of kidnapping his ex-boss Nyle Thomas’ son and demand a sum of Rs.6 crores. Venkat although not interested in this plan, accepts as he has no other option. But the kidnap plan fails. Kumaran gets killed by a few thugs with whom he had problems. Venkat finds that it was only Sasi who was behind the money robbery. Venkat fights with Sasi and during the course Sasi reveals that Gunaseelan is the master brain behind this. Gunaseelan tries to kill Venkat but a police officer saves him by killing Gunaseelan. Venkat and Sasi are jailed. Venkat gets released from jail after 4 years. He starts his own small jewelry business and marries Natasha.
- Gautham Karthik as Venkat
- Sana Makbul as Natasha
- Daniel Annie Pope as Sasi (Tip Top)
- Lallu as Atho Kumar
- Siddique as Gunaseela
- Raneesh as Shanmugham
- Sripriya as Indirani, Venkat's mother
- Sreekumar Ganesh as Kesavan, Gunaseela's right-hand man
- Anand as DRI Officer Syed Nawazuddin
- Prashanth Nair as Business Tycoon Nyle Thomas
- Ruthru Kumar as Pillaiyar Manivannan
- Upasana as Renu, Venkat's sister
- Supergood Subramani as Inspector Manohar
- Sindhu Shyam Ganesh as Teena
- Sathyajith as Natasha's father
The project was first announced in August 2014, with AR Murugadoss revealing that he would produce a film titled Rangoon directed by his associate Rajkumar Periasamy, which would feature Gautham Karthik in the lead role. Anirudh Ravichander was revealed to be the film's music composer but he was replaced by a newcomer Vikram RH who had earlier assisted G. V. Prakash Kumar. Anish Tharun Kumar was selected as cinematographer.
- "Rangoon First Look ". The Times of India. Retrieved 2014-11-20.
- "The Gautham Karthik starrer Rangoon will introduce a new composer, Vikram RH".
- "Anirudh – Gautham Karthik together". Behindwoods. Retrieved 2014-11-20.
- "'Rangoon' first look: A lungi-clad Gautham Karthik stares you down from the first poster of the Rajkumar Periasamy film ". CNN IBN. Retrieved 2014-11-20.
- "Rangoon – a hard- hitting crime thriller". www.deccanchronicle.com/. 22 May 2017. Retrieved 2017-05-21.