The village of Raritan along its main street, 400 N in April 2017
Location of Raritan in Henderson County, Illinois.
Location of Illinois in the United States
|• Total||0.10 sq mi (0.25 km2)|
|• Land||0.10 sq mi (0.25 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||760 ft (230 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,284.21/sq mi (495.59/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|Wikimedia Commons||Raritan, Illinois|
Raritan is located in southeastern Henderson County at (40.696535, -90.826079).
According to the 2010 census, Raritan has a total area of 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2), all land.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 140 people, 59 households, and 44 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,411.7 people per square mile (540.5/km2). There were 65 housing units at an average density of 655.4 per square mile (251.0/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 99.29% White, and 0.71% from two or more races.
There were 59 households, out of which 35.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.4% were married couples living together, 6.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.4% were non-families. 25.4% of all households were made up of individuals, and 13.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.37 and the average family size was 2.82.
In the village, the population was spread out, with 23.6% under the age of 18, 6.4% from 18 to 24, 27.9% from 25 to 44, 23.6% from 45 to 64, and 18.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 41 years. For every 100 females, there were 102.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.1 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $27,917, and the median income for a family was $30,313. Males had a median income of $21,563 versus $18,750 for females. The per capita income for the village was $14,484. None of the population and none of the families were below the poverty line.
Founding of the village
This section does not cite any sources. (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
“ In the southeast corner of Henderson county, the village of Raritan began in 1856 when a group of immigrants of the Dutch Reformed denomination from New Jersey came to what was then called Bedford Precinct. Since many of the settlers came from New Jersey towns located along the Raritan River, it was only natural for them to name their new community after the land they left behind.” http://www.hendersoncountyedc.com/Communities/Raritan
Tornado outbreak of 1995
Raritan was hit with an F1 tornado in May, 1995.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 14, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Raritan village, Illinois". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved June 14, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)[dead link]
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "G001 - Geographic Identifiers - 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2020-02-13. Retrieved 2015-12-25. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)