June 14, 1974 |
Baldwin Park, California, US
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, US|
|Other names||Raja, Raja Gemini|
|Ethnicity||Indonesian / Dutch|
|Known for||RuPaul's Drag Race (season 3) winner|
|Height||190 cm (6 ft 3 in)|
Sutan Amrull (born June 14, 1974), also known as Raja and Raja Gemini, is an American make-up artist and drag performer. He is best known for his work on the reality television show America's Next Top Model, serving as the show's make-up artist for nine cycles (fourth through twelve), and as the winner of Season 3 of RuPaul's Drag Race. Amrull's clients include Dita von Teese, Pamela Anderson, Paulina Porizkova, Iman, Tyra Banks, Iggy Azalea, and Twiggy. Since 2009, Amrull has been make-up artist to singer Adam Lambert for print media, live U.S. appearances, and Lambert's international 2010 Glam Nation Tour.
RuPaul's Drag Race
Amrull was a contestant on the third season of RuPaul's Drag Race, performing as his drag persona Raja Gemini. He was a member in the "Heathers" clique on the program, which took its name from the popular cult film, Heathers. In the final episode, after a lip sync battle with Manila Luzon, Raja was declared the winner of the show's third season and crowned America's Next Drag Superstar. As part of his duties as the third season winner of Drag Race, Amrull toured the U.S. and Canada on Logo's Drag Race Tour in 2011.
In May 2011, Amrull released his first single as Raja, titled Diamond Crowned Queen. The single debuted at number fifty on the Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs, before peaking at number thirty-five. On August 21, 2012, his second single "Sublime" was released. His third single, Zubi Zubi Zubi (roughly translating to Dance Dance Dance), was released June 1, 2013.
|Title||Year||Peak chart position||Album|
|"Diamond Crowned Queen"||2011||35||Non-album singles|
|"Zubi Zubi Zubi"||2013||—|
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
- The Young and Evil (2008)
- TupiniQueens (2015)
- Loza, Josefina (11 September 2010). "Designer eyes leaving Omaha to achieve his dreams". Omaha World-Herald. Retrieved 19 June 2011.
- Sutan Amrull at the Internet Movie Database
- Jessie Peterson (14 July 2014). "Conchita Wurst Walked At Paris Fashion Week, Might Be Drag's New Fashion Superstar". MTV News. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- Tanner Stransky (3 May 2011). "'RuPaul's Drag Race: Reunited!': 'The Drag Race may be over, but the real drama is just getting started...'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- Davis, Madeliene (2011-03-01). "RuPaul’s Drag Race Takes a Page Out of Heathers". Gawker. Gawker Media. Retrieved 2011-11-25.
- Parsley, Aaron (April 26, 2011). "What's Next for the Winner of RuPaul's Drag Race?". People. Retrieved 19 June 2011.
- John Polly (11 May 2011). "Get Ready! The RuPaul's Drag Race Season 3 Winner's Tour Is Sashaying Your Way!". LOGO Blog. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- Jethro Nededog (26 April 2011). "'RuPaul's Drag Race': Raja on her controversial win, 'I don't mind the criticism'". Zap2It. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- Lyndsey Parker (17 February 2015). "7 Actually Great Singles By 'RuPaul's Drag Race' Contestants". Yahoo! Music. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- "Dance Club Play Songs - Week of July 02, 2011". Billboard. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- "Dance Club Play Songs - Week of July 30, 2011". Billboard. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- Dan Avery (1 June 2013). "Raja Serves New Single, "Zubi Zubi Zubi": LISTEN". LOGO Blog. Retrieved 9 June 2015.
- "Dance Songs: Top Dance Music Chart – August 6, 2011". Billboard. August 6, 2011. Retrieved September 5, 2015. (subscription required)
|RuPaul's Drag Race winner
Season 3 (2011)