5 September 1924|
|Died||17 September 1999
Riccardo Cucciolla (5 September 1924 – 17 September 1999) was an Italian film actor. He appeared in 60 films between 1953 and 1999. He won the Best Actor Award at the 1971 Cannes Film Festival for the film Sacco e Vanzetti.
Life and career
Born in Bari, Puglia, Cucciolla graduated in law, then he made his stage debut in an amateur dramatics of his city. Since 1946 he started working in radio as a prose actor and as narrator of documentaries; at the same time he started working in cinema as a dubber and a voice actor.
Cucciolla made his film debut in 1953, in Anton Giulio Majano's La domenica della buona gente. After some minor roles, he had his first role of weight in Italiani brava gente (1965), followed by a significant role in Giuliano Montaldo's Grand Slam.
Cucciolla came to national and international recognition with the leading role in Montaldo's Sacco e Vanzetti, for which he was awarded best actor at Cannes and won a Silver Ribbon, and in the wake of that sudden popularity he intensively worked throughout the decade, alternating notable films with others of more modest quality and ambition. Starting from eighties he thinned out his appearances, mainly focusing on dubbing and television roles.
- Italiani brava gente (1965)
- Ad ogni costo (1967)
- I sette fratelli Cervi (1968)
- Sacco e Vanzetti (1970)
- The Case Is Closed, Forget It (1971)
- Un flic (1972)
- La violenza: Quinto potere (1972)
- The Assassination of Matteotti (1973)
- No, il caso è felicemente risolto (1973)
- Borsalino and Co. (1974)
- Cani arrabbiati (1974)
- The Sensual Man (1974)
- Pronto ad uccidere (1976)
- Antonio Gramsci: The Days of Prison (1977)
- Il coraggio di parlare (1987)
- 32 dicembre (1988)
- La voce del cuore (1995) - TV miniseries
- Felice Cappa, Piero Gelli, Marco Mattarozzi. Dizionario dello spettacolo del '900. Dalai editore, 1998. ISBN 8880892959.
- Roberto Chiti, Roberto Poppi. Dizionario del cinema italiano. Gli attori. Gremese Editore, 2003. ISBN 8884402131.
- Adler, Renata; Thompson, Howard (21 February 1968). "Movie Review". The New York Times.
- Vito Attolini, Alfonso Marrese, Riccardo Cucciolla. Ritratto di attore, Edizioni Dal Sud, 1990, ISBN 8875531528.