Born into an ecclesiastical family on 18 March 1909 and educated at Haileybury, Oriel College, Oxford and Ripon College Cuddesdon, he was ordained in 1935. He began his career as Curate of his old Ripon College Cuddesdon and then held similar posts at Pocklington and Harrogate. After this he was Rector of Melsonby and then Principal of Edinburgh Theological College. In 1963 he became Bishop of Argyll and The Isles. From 1974 he was also Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church. Resigning in 1977 he became Priest in charge of Etton with Dalton Holme and an Assistant Bishop in the Diocese of York.
He died on 4 January 1994.
- NPG details
- His father was the Rev. Canon J. S. Wimbush, sometime Vicar of Terrington > “Who was Who” 1897-2007 London, A & C Black, 2007 ISBN 978-0-19-954087-7
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 1947-48 Oxford, Oxford University Press, 1947
- ”Scottish Episcopal Clergy, 1689-2000” Bertie, D.M: Edinburgh T & T Clark ISBN 0-567-08746-8
- The Times, Wednesday, 12 June 1963; p. 7; Issue 55725; col C News
- Obituary, The Independent
|Bishop of Argyll and The Isles
1963 – 1977
George Kennedy Buchanan Henderson
|Primus of the Scottish Episcopal Church
1974 – 1977
|This Scottish biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a member of the Christian clergy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|