Road Rules: Semester at Sea
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Road Rules: Semester at Sea|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||19 (including two specials)|
|Original release||June 8 –|
October 11, 1999
Road Rules: Semester at Sea was the eighth season of the MTV reality television series Road Rules. This season featured six cast members in the shipboard Semester at Sea study program, and followed the cast as they travelled aboard a cruise ship, both while taking school classes and embarking on the various adventures and scavenger hunts typical of Road Rules. This is considered to be the final season of the 'classic era' of Road Rules, as the format of the show would change significantly beginning with Road Rules: Maximum Velocity Tour. This season was filmed in: Nassau (Bahamas), Havana (Cuba), Salvador (Brazil), Cape Town (South Africa), Mombasa and Chyulu Hills (Kenya), Madras (India), Penang (Malaysia), Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam), Hong Kong and Shanghai (China), Osaka and Tokyo (Japan) and Seattle, WA.
A pair of specials — a casting special and a "Passport to Road Rules 8: Semester at Sea" special, aired on June 8 and June 14, 1999, respectively, and the season premiered on June 21, 1999.
|Ayanna Mackins||20||Media, Pa.|
|Pawel Litwinski||21||Brooklyn, N.Y.|
|Pua Medeiros||19||Hilo, Hawaii|
|Shawn Sealy||19||Boston, Mass.|
|Veronica Portillo||21||Tustin Ranch, CA|
|Yes Duffy||19||Berkeley, Calif.|
- ^Note 1 : Age at time of filming.
|1||Sky Dive Onto A Desert Island||Completed|
|2||Make Your Way To Civilizations||Completed|
|4||Picolino Circus Performance||Completed||The guys are able to give an Apple computers for street kids|
|5||Live with South African Families||Completed||At the end of this mission the guys do a presentation of Apartheid on the ship|
|7||Install Solar Energy in Dalit Village||Completed|
|8||Job at Matang Wildlife Centre||Completed|
|9||"A Day in the Life of Vietnam" Race||Completed|
|10||Ho Chi Minh Millions||Completed|
|11||Dragon Boat Race||Completed|
|12||Perform in Chinese Opera||Completed||The first half of this episode marred by protests within the Kosovo War took place in Shanghai|
|15||Salon at Sea||Completed|
|Title||Original air date|
|1||103||"All Aboard"||June 21, 1999|
|2||104||"Running Off With the Circus"||June 28, 1999|
|3||105||"Answering to the School Bell"||July 5, 1999|
|4||106||"A Coming Home"||July 12, 1999|
|5||107||"A Coming Home (2)"||July 19, 1999|
|6||108||"Pawel's Kenyan Experience"||July 26, 1999|
|7||109||"Hot Voodoo"||August 2, 1999|
|8||110||"Pulling Together"||August 9, 1999|
|9||111||"Paint or Pay"||August 16, 1999|
|10||112||"Just Say Yes"||August 23, 1999|
|11||113||"Good Morning Vietnam"||August 30, 1999|
|12||114||"Ho Chih Minh's Millions"||September 6, 1999|
|13||115||"Growing and Rowing"||September 13, 1999|
|14||116||"Shaghai Surprise"||September 20, 1999|
|15||117||"The Perils of Pua"||September 27, 1999|
|16||118||"Accusations"||October 4, 1999|
|17||119||"10 Days"||October 11, 1999|
- The infamous tension between Veronica and Ayanna began when landing in Cuba, Ayanna had told Veronica that she too knew some Spanish. Ayanna claims that Veronica responded with such a disbelief and negative attitude, that it caused them to start off on the wrong foot.
- In one mission, the cast had to compete against a team of Japanese people in a skiing competition. Pua expressed her hesitance to do the mission because she had never been skiing before. However, the Road Rules team beat the Japanese team.
- In one mission, the cast was told to spend 12 million Vietnamese đồng, and if they did, 12 million dong would be donated to an orphan center. The cast came into conflict when Ayanna didn't want to spend money on an expensive Armani salon, but instead wanted to spend money at a family-owned Vietnamese business. She later gave in and got a massage. Pawel was so touched by the orphans at the center that he sold his prints and raised over $2000 for the orphan center.
- Containers of alcohol were found in Yes' quarters, in violation of the Semester at Sea rule against it, for which he was disciplined.
- Pawel, an aspiring photographer, was crestfallen when he did not win a mission involving photography.
- Pua, after a garment of hers turned up missing, found the garment among Veronica's belongings, apparently having been stolen by the latter. Pua decided to wear the garment to a public gathering on the ship, where she hoped that Veronica, seeing her wearing it, would be shamed by her act. Veronica was later forced to admit stealing the garment after she pulled Pua into the bathroom late at night and had confessed that she had stolen it. Veronica had asked Pua to cover it up for the cameras to avoid embarrassment, but Pua confessed the next day.
- Pua became upset on a mission in which the cast had to entice elephants to paint on canvases using paintbrushes held by their tusks, when one of the elephant handlers used violent discipline on her elephant to motivate it to paint. Pua rebuked the handlers for doing this, and later insisted that the abuse she herself had suffered in her past was not a motivating factor in her taking offense at the act.
- Ayanna came into conflict at times with other cast members, for example, during an argument in which Pua accused Ayanna of placing talcum powder and matchsticks on her bed in a voodoo ritual intended to inflict bad fortune on Pua and Veronica after the two became close friends. In another incident, she accused Veronica of plagiarizing her paper. In comparing the two papers, Ayanna read off each and the two ended up so similarly that Veronica looked as if she did indeed plagiarize. While Veronica asked to read both papers, Ayanna refused and took off running to slide the papers under the dean's door. Veronica ran after her, but couldn't catch up. Although Veronica was never formally accused or admitted to stealing the paper, they both had to re-write them.
- Ayanna was forced to deal with the separation from her mother, who was suffering from breast cancer. Ayanna was reunited with her mother during the show, though her mother later died from the disease, as Ayanna mentioned on the Extreme Challenge reunion.
|Cast Member||Challenges||Challenges Won||Total Money Earned|
|Ayanna Mackins||Extreme Challenge, Battle of the Sexes, Battle of the Sexes 2||None||$0|
|Shawn Sealy||Battle of the Sexes 2||None||$0|
|Veronica Portillo||Challenge 2000, Battle of the Seasons, Battle of the Sexes,
The Gauntlet, The Inferno, Battle of the Sexes 2,
The Inferno II, The Ruins, XXX: Dirty 30,
Vendettas, Final Reckoning
|Challenge 2000, The Gauntlet, The Inferno||$79,309|
|Champs vs. Pros||None||$1,000|
|Yes Duffy||Challenge 2000, Battle of the Seasons, Battle of the Sexes||Challenge 2000||$11,254|
- Challenge in bold indicates that the contestant was a finalist on The Challenge.
Veronica returned to the series as part of the alumni cast of Road Rules 2007: Viewers' Revenge.
| Road Rules
Semester at Sea
Maximum Velocity Tour