Giuntoli at San Diego Comic-Con, 2014.
June 18, 1980
|Education||St. Louis University High School|
|Alma mater||Indiana University-Bloomington|
|Home town||St. Louis, Missouri|
|Spouse(s)||Bitsie Tulloch (m. 2017)|
David Giuntoli (born June 18, 1980) is an American actor. He is best known for the lead role of Detective Nick Burkhardt in the NBC supernatural drama Grimm. He co-starred in the 2016 Michael Bay film 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi and Buddymoon.
Giuntoli was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to Mary and David Giuntoli. He is of Italian (father) and Polish and Austrian (mother) descent. He was raised in Huntleigh, a suburb of St. Louis, Missouri. He admits to not being very athletic as a child. In an Access Hollywood interview Giuntoli stated "I was like three feet shorter than I am now until I was a sophomore in high school. But I had the same sized head and ass as I do now. I was an awkward little fellow. In high school I started gravitating a little toward acting." After graduating from St. Louis University High School in 1998, he attended Indiana University at Bloomington, earning a bachelor's degree in International Business and Finance in 2002.
Giuntoli returned to St. Louis after college. However his heart was in being an entertainer instead of a career in finance, something his family realized early on as he always enjoyed making people laugh from a young age. Reconnecting with his high school theater teacher, he began taking acting lessons locally.
His first career break came in 2003 when he was discovered by talent scouts for MTV and cast in the networks reality series Road Rules: South Pacific. The three-month adventure in the South Pacific, and a subsequent appearance on the seventh season of Real World/Road Rules Challenge provided the resources to pay off his college debt and further cemented his decision to pursue acting as a full-time career.
In 2007, he moved to Los Angeles to further pursue an acting career. There he studied under director and acting teacher Chris Fields before joining the Echo Theater Company. A long series of guest appearances on various TV series and TV movies followed, including Nip/Tuck, Veronica Mars, Grey's Anatomy, Ghost Whisperer, Privileged, Without a Trace, and Cold Case among others. Giuntoli was also in consideration for the title role of the relaunched Superman movie Man of Steel, but was eventually beaten out by English actor Henry Cavill.
His biggest role in TV to date is the series Grimm, which premiered in October, 2011. He played the lead role of Nick Burkhardt, a Grimm detective who hunts monsters. In addition to his work on Grimm, Giuntoli was seen in 2012 in the motion picture Caroline and Jackie in a supporting role. He played the role of Scott Wickland, DS agent, in the 13 Hours directed by Michael Bay. In 2016, he played the lead role of David in the comedy film Buddymoon.
In December 2014, his Grimm co-star, Bitsie Tulloch, confirmed they are in a relationship. In July 2016, he and Tulloch revealed they became engaged in April 2016. They married in June 2017.
Giuntoli currently lives and works in Portland, Oregon, where Grimm was filmed. He often rode his bicycle to the set. During a 2012 break in Grimm production, Giuntoli visited an elephant orphanage in Kenya, adopting one of the animals.
|2009||Weather Girl||James||Minor role|
|2010||Camera Obscura||Walter||Short film|
|2010||Turn The Beat Around||Michael|
|2011||6 Month Rule||Jared||Minor role|
|2012||Caroline and Jackie||Ryan|
|2016||13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi||Scott Wickland|
|2016||Buddymoon||David||executive producer, co-writer|
|2003||Road Rules: South Pacific||Himself||Regular cast member|
|Real World/Road Rules Challenge: The Gauntlet||Himself||Contestant/Winner|
|2007||Ghost Whisperer||Rick||Episode: "The Walk-in"|
|Veronica Mars||Sneed Batmen Guy||Episode: "Un-American Graffiti"|
|2008||Nip/Tuck||Evan||Episode: "August Walden"|
|Grey's Anatomy||Todd||Episode: "The Becoming"|
|Finish Line||Turner||Television film|
|Privileged||Jacob Cassidy||5 episodes|
|Eli Stone||Scott Colby||Episodes: "Waiting for That Day", "Should I Stay or Should I Go?"|
|The Unit||Major Paul Grand||Episode: "Misled and Misguided"|
|Without a Trace||Seth||Episode: "Push Comes to Shove"|
|Cold Case||Dean London '60||Episode: "Wings"|
|2009||Crash||Brad||Episode: "The Pain Won't Stop"|
|U.S. Attorney||Andrew Moore||unsold pilot|
|2010||The Quinn-tuplets||Martin Quinn||unsold pilot|
|The Deep End||Jason Carpenter||Episodes: "An Innocent Man", "White Lies, Black Ties"|
|Hot in Cleveland||Tyler||Episode: "Who's Your Mama?"|
|Private Practice||Daniel||Episode: "In or Out"|
|2011||Love Bites||Jordan||Episode: "Firsts"|
|2011–2017||Grimm||Detective Nick Burkhardt/Grimm||Main role, Directed Episode: "Oh Captain, My Captain"|
|2013||Key & Peele||Mack||Episode: "Sexy Vampires"|
- Pennington, Gail (March 8, 2013). "Life is anything but grim for actor David Giuntoli". St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- "SLU High grad is chasing monsters on NBC's 'Grimm' | Tube Talk". stltoday.com. Retrieved 2017-06-07.
- "Rising Star: Grimm's David Giuntoli". Access Hollywood. October 28, 2011. Retrieved March 8, 2013.
- "David Giuntoli talks Grimm, his character's identity crisis and his former MTV days". The Huffington Post. November 11, 2011.
- "David Giuntoli biography". NBC official Grimm website. 2013. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- "David Giuntoli". TVGuide.com. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- Prudom, Laura (2016-04-05). "'Grimm' Renewed for Season 6 by NBC". Variety. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- "Caroline and Jackie: Film Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- "13 Hours Cast: CS Sits Down with the Stars". ComingSoon.net. 2016-01-12. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- Harvey, Dennis (2016-02-04). "Film Review: 'Honey Buddies'". Variety. Retrieved 2017-03-18.
- Schwartz, Terri (December 19, 2014). "Grimm's Bitsie Tulloch and David Guintoli Dating". Zap2it.com. Retrieved July 23, 2016.
- Warner, Kara and Kimble, Lindsay (July 23, 2016). "David Giuntoli and Bitsie Tulloch Engaged". People.com. Retrieved July 23, 2016.
- Vulpo, Mike (July 23, 2016). "Bitsie Tulloch and David Giuntoli Confirm Engagement During Comic Con". Eonline.com. Retrieved July 23, 2016.
- "Instagram post by David Giuntoli • Jul 6, 2017 at 9:25pm UTC". Instagram. Retrieved 2017-07-07.
- "Instagram post by Elizabeth Tulloch • Jul 6, 2017 at 9:27pm UTC". Instagram. Retrieved 2017-07-07.