Rock Island State Park (Wisconsin)
|Rock Island State Park|
|Wisconsin State Park|
Icelandic Boathouse in Rock Island State Park
|Named for: Rock Island|
|Area||912 acres (369 ha)|
|Management||Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources|
|IUCN category||V - Protected Landscape/Seascape|
|Website: Rock Island State Park|
Rock Island State Park is a state park of the state of Wisconsin, in the United States, located on Rock Island in Lake Michigan off the tip of the Door Peninsula. The only public transportation to the island is by the passenger ferry Karfi from Washington Island. However, there is mooring and dock space for people with their own boats, and during winter the island is accessible via snowmobile and foot traffic. No "wheeled vehicles" (cars, all-terrain vehicles, bicycles) are allowed to be brought onto the island by visitors, although park staff use them routinely.
Activities and amenities
Attractions include the stone Viking boathouse and other structures including a historic water tower built by inventor Chester H. Thordarson in what is now known as the Thordarson Estate Historic District, Native American artifacts, as well as Pottawatomie Light, which is Wisconsin's oldest lighthouse. The island is a destination in the fall for deer hunters and in the winter for snowmobilers from nearby Washington Island. The park has campsites available and is a destination for day trippers.
In July 2010, the Midsummer's Music Festival became the first performing organization to present a professional chamber music concert on Rock Island in the Viking boathouse, an event that was repeated in July 2011.
- "Washington Island Ferry | Rock Island Ferry". www.wisferry.com. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Rock Island Camping - Wisconsin DNR". dnr.wi.gov. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Friends of Rock Island State Park". fori.us. Retrieved 2018-07-03.
- "Rock Island State Park: Activities and recreation". Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources. September 3, 2013. Retrieved September 4, 2013.
- Staff Reporter (May 21, 2010). "Door County's Midsummer's Music Festival to celebrate 20 years with "Best of the Best" concerts beginning June 11th". Door County Style Magazine. Archived from the original on 2010-06-15. Retrieved September 4, 2013.
- Pearson, Kathleen (May 25, 2011). "Midsummer's Music classical concert on Rock Island almost sold out!". Midsummer's Music. Archived from the original on 24 March 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2011.
- Kastner, Stephen (July 22, 2011). "Classical music in the boathouse on Rock Island". Door County Style Magazine. Retrieved September 4, 2013.