Roscommon–Galway (Dáil Éireann constituency)
|County council||Roscommon County Council
Galway County Council
Roscommon–Galway is a parliamentary constituency in Dáil Éireann, the lower house of the Irish parliament or Oireachtas. It first returned 3 members (Teachtaí Dála, commonly known as TDs) in the 2016 general election. The method of election is the single transferable vote form of proportional representation (PR-STV).
History and boundaries
The Constituency Commission proposed in its 2012 report that at the next general election a new constituency called Roscommon–Galway be created. The report proposed changes to the constituencies of Ireland so as to reduce the total number of TDs from 166 to 158.
It was established by the Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2013. The new constituency will incorporate all of County Roscommon from the existing Roscommon–South Leitrim constituency, and thirty three electoral divisions from the Galway East constituency.
The 2013 Act defines the constituency as:
- "The county of Roscommon;
- and the county of Galway except the part thereof which is comprised in the constituencies of Galway East and Galway West.
|Teachtaí Dála (TDs) for Roscommon–Galway 2016–|
Note: The columns in this table are used only for presentational purposes, and no significance should be attached to the order of columns. For details of the order in which seats were won at each election, see the detailed results of that election.
2016 general election
|2016 general election: Roscommon–Galway|
|Party||Candidate||% 1st Pref||Count 1||Count 2||Count 3||Count 4||Count 5||Count 6||Count 7||Count 8|
|Fianna Fáil||Eugene Murphy||14.9||6,813||7,157||7,162||7,192||7,260||7,368||7,565||10,104|
|Fine Gael||Maura Hopkins||14.9||6,812||7,317||7,324||7,428||7,555||7,698||8,388||9,313|
|Sinn Féin||Claire Kerrane||6.7||3,075||3,196||3,207||3,256||3,301||3,591||3,826|
|Fianna Fáil||Shane Curran||4.4||2,006||2,164||2,168||2,198||2,240||2,294||2,389|
|Labour Party||John Kelly||2.7||1,211||1,254||1,258||1,320||1,373||1,442|
|Green Party||Miriam Hennesy||0.6||286||305||307|
|Electorate: 64,235 Valid: 45,680 Spoilt: 315 Quota: 11,421 Turnout: 71.6%|
- Parliamentary constituencies in the Republic of Ireland
- Politics of the Republic of Ireland
- Elections in the Republic of Ireland
- "Constituency Commission Report 2012 – Galway – Mayo – Roscommon area" (PDF). Constituency Commission. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "Constituency Commission Report 2012 – Introduction and summary of recommendation" (PDF). Constituency Commission. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "Electoral (Amendment) (Dáil Constituencies) Act 2013: Schedule". Irish Statute Book database. Retrieved 7 April 2013.
- "General election 2016: Roscommon–Galway". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 23 February 2016.