SM Lanang Premier
Front facade of SM Lanang Premier
|Location||Davao City, Philippines|
|Address||J.P. Laurel Ave., Brgy. San Antonio, Agdao District, Davao City|
|Opening date||September 28, 2012|
|Developer||SM Prime Holdings|
|Management||SM Prime Holdings|
|Owner||Henry Sy, Sr.|
|Architect||Point Design Inc.|
|No. of stores and services||273|
|No. of anchor tenants||2|
|Total retail floor area||182,340 m2 (1,962,700 sq ft)|
|No. of floors||4|
SM Lanang Premier (generally referred to a just "SM Lanang" by residents) is an indoor four-story shopping mall in Lanang, Davao City, Philippines along Jose P. Laurel Avenue and within S.P Dakudao loop. The mall is owned by Henry Sy, Sr. and managed by SM Prime Holdings. Construction of the mall started in 2011. SM Lanang Premier opened to the public on September 28, 2012 on the site of the former Lanang Golf and Country Club.
The mall has a gross floor area of 182,340 m2 (1,962,700 sq ft) making it the largest shopping mall in Mindanao. The mall has 273 stores along with several restaurants. The mall has SM Store and SM Supermarket as anchor stores. It featured 6 cinemas, an IMAX Theater, SMX Convention Center, SM Science Discovery Center, a bowling center, an Al fresco dining situated along the fountain court, located at the back of the mall. SM Lanang Premier is the 4th largest taxpayer in Davao City along with SM City Davao.
SM Lanang Premier is SM Prime Holdings' fourth mall in Mindanao after SM City Davao, SM City Cagayan de Oro and SM City General Santos. It is located on the site of the previous Lanang Golf and Country Club in Lanang, Davao City. It is 2.5 kilometers away from Francisco Bangoy International Airport and 4 kilometers away from Port of Davao.[n 1] The mall is bordered by S.P Dakudao loop and Jose P. Laurel Avenue on its north. The mall is located near AH26 and R. Castillo Street which is being used as an access and exit point for vehicles. The mall is also near to Davao Museum.
The mall's exterior design is inspired by origami, the traditional Japanese art of paper folding. The abstract and asymmetric lines of the origami are introduced in the mall's the north, south and west facades.
Planning and construction
SM Prime Holdings developed SM Lanang Premier, a Philippine-based shopping center management firm. SM Prime Holdings bought 10 hectares out of the 40 hectare property of Lanang Golf and Country Club from Dakudao and sons on 2008 for the mall. SM Prime Holdings saw potential in the northern sections of the city where upscale subdivisions are located. The mall was to be an SM City mall, a shopping mall with SM Store, SM Supermarket or SM Hypermarket and SM Cinemas together with retail shops< and it was scheduled to open in 2011. It was planned that the mall would be bigger than SM City Davao, the first SM Mall in Mindanao. This original plan would have generated over 1,000 jobs. The mall was unofficially dubbed SM North Davao. Officers of SM Prime Holdings requested anonymity because they could not discuss project details. The mall project was planned to start in January 2010. The start was moved to 2011, together with SM City General Santos, was scheduled to open in late 2012.
Tenant partners, retailers, food chains, service centers and merchants attended the tenant's preview of SM Lanang Premier on March 22, 2012. SM Prime Holdings announced the mall's name as SM Lanang Premier. Point Design, Inc. designed the mall. G&W Architects was Architect of Record; NGCB was General Contractor; D.A. Abcede and Associates was Project Manager; Edge its Cinema Designer; Abesamis-Guerrero was SMX Convention Center Designer,[n 2] and HBO+EMTB was Cyberzone designer.
8 days before it opened, SM Lanang Premier has 160 out of 273 stores occupied. The mall opened to the public on September 28, 2012. It has an operating hours from 10:00 am until 9:00 pm  A sellout crowd filled the mall. Motorists and commuters got stuck in heavy traffic along Jose P. Laurel Avenue. At the time it opened, the mall's occupancy rate is 91%. Last March 2013, SM Lanang Premier hosted the M.I.C.E convention along with the annual Philippine Advertising Congress. It accommodated 5,000 people. As of August 2013, the mall's daily foot traffic has seen 20,000 people on weekdays and 40,000 on weekends.
SM Lanang Premier serves as a major tourist attraction in Davao city and is the 4th largest taxpayer in the area, together with SM City Davao. As of 2013, it has an income tax return of ₱8 million. The mall employed 10,000 people in 2012. IBEX Global Solutions opened a Business process outsourcing within the mall last October 2013 with a gross floor area of 3,500 m2 (38,000 sq ft) which employed additional 700 people. As a result of SM Lanang Premier's very strong profit and Mindanao's growing economy, SM Prime Holdings will open 2 more malls in Mindanao area, one in Butuan City and a second mall in Cagayan de Oro City. MegaWorld Corporation is planning to open a residential building within the mall's vicinity, with an investment amounting to ₱15 billion. SM Lanang Premier together with SM City Davao accounts for 80% of total profit of SM Prime Holdings in Mindanao.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SM Lanang Premier.|
- Although reference states that SMX Convention Center is 2.5 and 4 kilometers respectively, it is stated that SMX Convention Center is inside of SM Lanang Premier, in which those facts for SMX Convention Center Davao can also be applied for SM Lanang Premier, given it is inside of SM Lanang Premier. 
- SMX Convention Center and Trade Hall do have the same functions but do not have the same branding and both are managed by SMX Convention Specialist Corporation (SMX Corp.) under SM Hotels and Conventions Corporation.
- Dumlao, Doris C. (September 28, 2012). "SM Group to open biggest shopping mall in Mindanao". Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- "SMX Excites events scene in Davao" (Press release). August 1, 2012. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Austria, Jenniffer B. (March 20, 2014). "MegaWorld goes to Davao City". Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Paloma, Jereco (September 20, 2012). "Councilors Discuss SM Lanang Access Road Today". Sun.Star Davao. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- "SM Lanang in Davao opens". Manila Bulletin. Manila Bulletin. October 3, 2012. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- Mallo, Carlo P. "SM Lanang Premier to redefine Davao's lifestyle". Edge Davao. Retrieved October 7, 2012.
- "More shopping malls to rise in Davao City". Philippine Star. July 19, 2008.
- Liu, Kristine Jane R. & Francisco, Carmelito Q. (April 29, 2009). "Davao Expansion". Business World.
- Villamor, Marites S. (July 6, 2009). "SM to build more malls in Cebu". Business World.
- Padillo, Maya M. (June 6, 2009). "SMIC to put another mall in Davao City". Mindanao Daily Mirror.
- Quiros, Judy (April 28, 2009). "SM City mall to rise in Lanang". Mindanao Daily Mirror.
- Deligero, Greg G. (March 21, 2011). "New malls in Davao to increase city's demand for power supply". Edge Davao. Retrieved October 7, 2012.
- Mallo, Carlos P. (February 19, 2010). "Construction of SM Lanang to start soon". Sun. Star Davao. Retrieved April 24, 2014.
- "SM North Davao to start construction". Sun.Star Davao. November 16, 2009.
- "SM Mall in Lanang to employ 1000". Edge Davao. Retrieved October 7, 2012.
- Dela Peña; Zinnia B. (April 28, 2010). "SM Prime forms REIT vehicle to raise $500 million". The Philippine Star.
- "World-class SM Lanang Premier reshaping malling in Mindanao". Sun. Star Davao. April 18, 2012. Retrieved April 24, 2014.
- "Point Design : SM Lanang Shopping Center". Point Design Inc's workers. Point Design Inc. Retrieved October 16, 2012.
- "About Us". SM Prime. Retrieved October 26, 2012.
- Colina, Antonio IV (September 18, 2013). "SM Lanang Premier boasts of world-class facilities". Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- "Information | SM Supermalls". SM Supermalls. p. 1. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- Cayon, Manuel T. (October 1, 2012). "SM to put up premier mall in Taguig, five more malls in Mindanao". Business Mirror.
- "SM Lanang Attracts record crowd". October 9, 2012. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- Paloma, Jerecco O. (September 29, 2012 (Newspaper); September 28, 2012 (Web)). "Mall opening jams Lanang". Sun.Star Davao. Davao City. Retrieved October 16, 2012. Check date values in:
- Alcantara, Jojie & Bagaforo, Nelson C., RaiN (September 30, 2012). "SM Lanang Premier opens". Sun.Star Davao. Retrieved October 7, 2012.
- "SM Prime Holdings, inc. Annual Report 2012" (PDF). SM Prime Holdings. p. 17. Retrieved April 22, 2014.
- "Investment Matters" (PDF). City Government of Davao. February 2013. p. 7. Retrieved April 22, 2014.
- Dumlao, Doris C. (August 25, 2013). "SM Mindanao malls gets big boost from BPOs". Retrieved April 22, 2014.
- Enriquez, Spanky (January 17, 2013). "SM Lanang Premier: Davao's Newest Tourist Attraction". Retrieved April 22, 2014.
- "Malls among Davao's top taxpayers". Business World. April 2, 2014. Retrieved April 22, 2014.
- "SM Plans to build five more malls in Mindanao cities". Edge Davao. October 1, 2013. Retrieved April 22, 2014.
- "IBEX Global Solutions Davao to serve 6 more international clients". Sun.Star Davao. November 26, 2013. Retrieved April 24, 2014.
- "SM Expands presence in Mindanao". August 26, 2013. Retrieved April 24, 2014.
- Morales, Neil Jerome C. (August 26, 2013). "SM Expands in Mindanao". The Philippine Star. Retrieved April 24, 2014.
SM City General Santos
|46th SM Supermall
SM Aura Premier