||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||Queens, New York, U.S.|
|Genres||Hip-hop, R&B, pop|
|Instruments||Bass, keyboards, drums, guitar|
|Associated acts||Nas, Fergie, Miguel, Amy Winehouse, Jazmine Sullivan, Nelly Furtado, Estelle, Liam Bailey, Mack Wilds, Jordin Sparks, Fugees|
Salaam Remi is an American record producer known for his association with Nas, Amy Winehouse, Fugees, Fergie, Estelle and Miguel, and for his reggae-tinged (often referred to as "broken-bottle") approach to production. On some releases in 2012 such as Girl on Fire by Alicia Keys and R.E.D. by Ne-Yo, Remi's productions are credited as Salaamremi.com.
|This section relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (November 2015)|
The son of studio musician Van Gibbs, Remi first appeared on record as the keyboard player on Kurtis Blow's 1986 release Kingdom Blow. In the late 1980s, Remi began mixing records. His first full production was in 1992, for the hip-hop group Zhigge. He worked with the Fugees and Black Sheep.
Salaam Remi has been associated with releases like Lil' Flip's "I Need Mine", Ini Kamoze's "Here Comes the Hotstepper", The Fugees' multi-platinum The Score LP, and Toni Braxton's "You're Makin Me High". He produced 10 tracks on the 2002 UK sensation Ms. Dynamite's album titled A Little Deeper, including the hugely successful lead single "Dy-Na-Mi-Tee", which had moderate crossover success in the U.S. market.
Remi contributed tracks to Jurassic 5's 2006 LP Feedback and Nas's 2006 album Hip Hop is Dead, and racked up production credits on Frank, the platinum debut from North London soul-jazz singer Amy Winehouse. He worked on Winehouse's followup, Back to Black, and was producing her third album that was to be released in 2011, up until her death. Remi worked with Nelly Furtado on her first Spanish language album, Mi Plan. His projects in late 2008 included working with with Jazmine Sullivan, Nas, Free, Julian Perretta, Leona Lewis and Corrine Bailey Rae.
Remi has also done film work. He worked on the soundtracks for Office Space, Zoolander, The Departed, Blood Diamond, and Sex and the City. He also scored the Mike Tyson documentary, TYSON, worked as executive music producer on After the Sunset and Rush Hour 3, and was music supervisor and composer for a 2008 TV pilot called Blue Blood. Salaam Remi was nominated for Non-Classical Producer of the Year at the 55th Grammy Awards, an award won by Dan Auerbach.
In 2013, Remi started his own label imprint, Louder Than Life, as a subsidiary of Sony Music, with two subimprints, Re Mi Fa Music and Flying Buddha Records. New York: A Love Story by Mack Wilds was the first release under Remi's label.
- "Pull Up To My Bumper (Remix)" (Patra)
- "Skettle Combo" (Ricky General)
- With Amy Winehouse
- Amy Winehouse - "You Sent Me Flying/Cherry"
- Amy Winehouse - "I Heard Love Is Blind"
- Amy Winehouse - "In My Bed"
- Amy Winehouse - "Just Friends"
- Amy Winehouse - "Me & Mr Jones"
- Amy Winehouse - "Moody's Mood For Love"
- Amy Winehouse - "Mr. Magic"
- Amy Winehouse - "'Round Midnight"
- Amy Winehouse - "Some Unholy War"
- Amy Winehouse - "Stronger Than Me"
- Amy Winehouse - "Tears Dry On Their Own"
- Amy Winehouse - "Brother"
- Amy Winehouse - "Like Smoke"
- With Nas
- Nas - "Bridging The Gap"
- Nas - "Get Down"
- Nas - "Hey Nas"
- Nas - "I Can"
- Nas - "Made You Look"
- Nas - "The N"
- Nas - "Nasty"
- Nas - "Suicide Bounce"
- Nas - "Thief's Theme"
- Nas - "What Goes Around"
- Nas - "Where Y'all At?"
- Nas - "Zone Out"
- Nas - "You Can't Stop Us Now"
- Nas - "A Queens Story"
- Nas - "Reach Out"
- Nas - "World's an Addiction"
- Nas - "Cherry Wine" (feat. Amy Winehouse)
- Nas - "Bye Baby"
- Nas - "The Black Bond"
- With Nelly Furtado
- Nelly Furtado - "Suficiente Tiempo"
- Nelly Furtado - "I'll Never Get Over You" (unreleased)
- Nelly Furtado - "Girlfriend in the City"
- Nelly Furtado - "Something" (feat. Nas)
- Nelly Furtado - "The Most Beautiful Thing" (feat. Sara Tavares)
- Nelly Furtado - "Enemy"
- Nelly Furtado - "End Game"
- Nelly Furtado - "Mystery" (unreleased)
- Nelly Furtado - "Secret" (unreleased)
- Nelly Furtado - "Skylight"
- Nelly Furtado - "Soak It Up"
- Nelly Furtado - "Special" (unreleased)
- Nelly Furtado - "Whole Woman" (unreleased)
- James Arthur - "New Tattoo"
- Beenie Man - "Love Me Now" (feat. Wyclef Jean)
- Big Boi - "Follow Us" (feat. Vonnegut)
- Blaque - "Can't Get It Back"
- Buckshot LeFonque - "No Pain, No Gain" (Salaam Remi Remix)
- Mutya Buena - "B Boy Baby"
- Tego Calderón - "Payaso" feat. Eddie Dee & Voltio
- Canibus - "Get Retarded"
- Cee-Lo Green - "Bodies"
- Changing Faces - "Keep it Right There" (Salaam Remix)
- Ciara - "Click, Flash"
- Da Bush Babees - "Remember We" (Remix)
- Melanie Fiona - "Running" (feat. Nas)
- Livvi Franc - "Now I'm That Bitch"
- Fugees - "Fu-Gee-La"
- Fugees - "Nappy Heads" (Remix)
- Fugees - "Ready or Not" (Salaam's Remix)
- Fugees - "Vocab" (Salaam's Remix)
- Groove Collective - "Lift Off" (Salaam Remi Remix)
- Ella Henderson - "Hard Work"
- Whitney Houston - "My Love Is Your Love" (Salaam Remix)
- I-20 - "Fightin In The Club" (feat. Lil Fate, Titty Boi & Chingy)
- I-20 - "The Realist"
- I-20 - "Point 'Em Out" (feat. Juvenile)
- Jamiroquai - "Virtual Insanity" (Peace of Mind Mix)
- Wyclef Jean - "Bubblegoose" (co-produced by Wyclef Jean)
- Ini Kamoze - "Here Comes The Hotstepper"
- Lemar - "Trust Me"
- Leona Lewis - "Forgiveness" (co-produced and co-written by Remi & Kara DioGuardi)
- Leona Lewis - "You Bring me Down" (co-produced by Taj Jackson and Remi and co-written by Remi, Jackson & Lewis)
- Lil' Flip - "You'z A Trick"
- Lil' Flip - "You'z A Trick" (remix, feat. UGK)
- Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes - "The Block Party"
- Ludacris - "Virgo" (feat. Nas & Doug E. Fresh)
- Kevin Lyttle - "Last Drop" (feat. Spragga Benz & Assassin; produced by Nicholas Brancker & Salaam Remi)
- Kevin Lyttle - "I Got It" (feat. Trey Songz & Troy Taylor; produced by Nicholas Brancker & Salaam Remi)
- Kevin Lyttle - "My Lady" (produced by Salaam Remi)
- Kevin Lyttle - "Dancing" Like Making Love (produced by Nicholas Brancker & Salaam Remi)
- Kevin Lyttle - "My Love" (produced by Da Bhann & Salaam Remi)
- Major Stress - A Day In Da Stuy"
- Angie Martinez - "No Playaz" (feat. Lil' Mo & Tony Sunshine)
- Angie Martinez - "Live At Jimmy's" (feat. Big Pun, Cuban Link, Domingo & Sunkiss)
- Pras Michel - "Dance Hall" (feat. Sean Paul, Spragga Benz & Roundhead)
- Chrisette Michele - "In This For You, Good Girl"
- Mis-Teeq - "All In One Day"
- Mis-Teeq - "Can't Get It Back" (co-produced by Staybent)
- Mis-Teeq - "Strawberrez"
- Motown Remixed (2005) - "ABC" (Jackson Five Remix)
- Nas & Cee-Lo - "Less Than An Hour"
- Ne-Yo - "Alone With You (Maddie's Song)
- Ne-Yo - "Should Be You" (feat. Fabolous & Diddy)
- Ne-Yo - "All She Wants" (feat. Young Jeezy)
- Greg Nice - "Set It Off"
- Rupee - "Do The Damn Thing"
- Carlos Santana - "Manana" (feat. Keon Bryce)
- Nina Sky - "On Some Bullshit"
- Nina Sky - "Too Long To Let Go"
- Joss Stone - "Young At Heart"
- Jazmine Sullivan - "Bust Your Windows"
- Jazmine Sullivan - "Lions, Tigers & Bears"
- Amy (2015)
- "New Music: Salaam Remi "Cup Of Tea" ft. Estelle". Ddotomen.com. Retrieved July 13, 2014.
- "Exclusive: Salaam Remi Launches Louder Than Life Imprint Through Sony". billboard.com. Retrieved September 27, 2013.
- "Salaam Remi: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. 2013-09-30. Retrieved 2014-07-13.
- "ONE: In the Chamber by Salaam Remi". itunes.apple.com. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- "One In The Chamber (feat. Akon)". SoundCloud. Retrieved October 6, 2013.
- "New music". Ddotomen.com. Retrieved July 13, 2013.