|Designer(s)||Jakub Dvorský, Václav Blín|
Samorost 2 is a puzzle point-and-click adventure game developed by Amanita Design. Released for Microsoft Windows, OS X and Linux on 8 December 2005, the game is the second video game title in the Samorost series and the sequel to Samorost.
Together with his freelance Flash and web design agency, Amanita Design, Dvorský produced a sequel, Samorost 2. In Samorost 2, the gnome goes on a longer quest to save his kidnapped dog and return safely home. The first chapter of this game (comprising the first 4 levels) can be played online for free. The second chapter (with 3 levels) is only playable in the full version, which cost $6.90 until the price was later lowered to $5.00.
Samorost 2 has won several awards. These include a 2007 Webby in the games category; Independent Games Festival award 2007 for Best Web Browser Game; Best Web-Work Award at the Seoul Net Festival in 2006. The soundtrack won the Original Sound category at the Flashforward Film Festival 2006. The game was also nominated in 3 categories (Best Game, Best New Character and Best Visual Effects) in the GameShadow Innovation in Games Awards.
The Samorost 2 was released in several physical and digital formats.
- International release - includes cd with Win and Mac versions of the game and the soundtrack (CD-DA and mp3 files). Packaged in digipak. Was released on 5 June 2006.
- Collector's Edition (Russian) - includes cd with Russian version of the game, cd with soundtrack and artbook with some sketches, informations, etc. Packaged in DVD-box. Was released on 21 November 2008.
- Amanita Design Store - includes Win, Mac and Linux versions of the game and soundtrack in mp3 format. Was released on 8 December 2005.
- Steam - includes Win version. Was released on 11 December 2009.
- Mac App Store - includes Mac version. Was released on 28 April 2011.
Samorost 2 has been featured in Humble Indie Bundle which took place from 4 May 2010 - 11 May 2010 which was subsequently extended to the 15th and raised $1,273,613. Of this, contributors chose to allocate 30.90% to charity: $392,953 for the Electronic Frontier Foundation and Child's Play Charity.
Critical reviews were generally positive. The game was praised for its visuals and simple gameplay.
As of March 2011, Samorost 3 is in development for various platforms. There is no release date yet. In the December 2011 issue of the UK games magazine Edge, Amanita Design revealed that Samorost 3 is a huge game which they are looking to release on many platforms including consoles.
- "Amanita Design".
- Samorost 2 CD at Minority Records
- Samorost 2 (Russian Collector's Edition) at snowball.ru
- Samorost 2 at Amanita Design Store
- Samorost 2 page on Steam
- Samorost 2 on Mac App Store
- "The Humble Indie Bundle".
- "Samorost 2 for Windows (2005) MobyRank". MobyGames. 2007-12-04. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- McElroy, Griffin (2011-03-26). "Machinarium developer reveals three upcoming projects". Joystiq. Retrieved 2013-08-17.