|Full name||Seth Wescott|
|Born||June 23, 1976|
Durham, North Carolina, U.S. 6 ft 1 in (185 cm)
|Residence||Whistler, British Columbia, Canada|
Life and career
Wescott was born in Durham, North Carolina, and lives in Whistler, British Columbia. Growing up Seth Wescott went to Mount Blue regional school district in Farmington Maine. His father Jim Wescott was the Track and Cross Country coach at Colby College. He began snowboarding at age 10, but had also grown up skiing. In 1989, after competing in both sports for a few years, he stopped skiing to focus mainly on snowboarding. Wescott attended Carrabassett Valley Academy where he studied and trained with fellow Olympians Bode Miller, Jeff Greenwood, Kirsten Clark and Emily Cook. He started out in Sugarloaf USA in Carrabassett Valley, Maine.
In his Olympic debut, at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy, Wescott won gold in the snowboard cross as the first Olympic champion in the event. Having won gold, Wescott was invited to meet president George W. Bush but turned down the offer, citing his opposition to Bush's foreign and domestic policies. At the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, Wescott successfully defended his Olympic gold. Wescott, who started off the race in fourth, slowly advanced throughout the field until the end, when he narrowly defeated hometown favorite Mike Robertson on the final jump.
Wescott co-owns The Rack, a restaurant and bar near Sugarloaf that caters food and drinks to skiers and snowboarders.
- "Seth Wescott". teamusa.org. United States Olympic Committee. Retrieved February 13, 2014.
- Lindsay Berra (February 17, 2006). "Wescott grinds through to reach first 'cross gold". ESPN The Magazine. Retrieved February 15, 2010.
- JENN MENENDEZ (February 17, 2006). "Boss of the 'cross". Portland Press Herald. Retrieved February 15, 2010.
- "Wescott of U.S. wins snowboard cross gold". NBCSports.com. February 15, 2010. Retrieved February 15, 2010.
- Deborah Charles (February 15, 2010). "Wescott grabs second snowboard cross gold". Reuters. Retrieved February 15, 2010.[dead link]
- Hibberd, James (May 8, 2012). "Fox's 'The Choice' cast revealed! Joe Jonas, Dean Cain, The Situation, many more -- EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- Seth Wescott at the International Ski Federation
- "Seth Wescott on Go211.com – blogs, photos, videos". Archived from the original on June 15, 2007. Retrieved April 17, 2019.
- Official website
- NBC Olympics
- U.S. Olympic Team bio
- AP Winter Games Profile: Seth Wescott
- Snowboardcross steals some spotlight from downhill
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill. "Seth Wescott". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC.