Shadow Creek Ranch
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2009)|
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (November 2009)|
Shadow Creek Ranch is a master planned community in Pearland, Texas, United States. Shadow Creek Ranch, which has 3,500 acres (1,400 ha) of space, is west of State Highway 288, south of Beltway 8, and about 10 miles (16 km) from the Texas Medical Center.
Shadow Creek Ranch, the largest master planned community in Pearland, is a bedroom community for commuters to Houston. The construction of State Highway 288 led to the development of Shadow Creek Ranch. The master planned community has experienced solid population growth due to its proximity to Downtown Houston.
- 1 History
- 2 Geography
- 3 Economy
- 4 Education
- 5 Parks and recreation
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
|This section requires expansion. (March 2014)|
The City of Pearland annexed areas that are now Shadow Creek Ranch in 1996, 1997, and 1998.
The community is being developed by the Shadow Creek Ranch Development Co. In 2001 sales of houses in Shadow Creek Ranch began. In June 2001 four lakes were created and 600 acres (240 ha) of land were excavated as part of the first phase of development. One of the companies that built 300 of the original houses was Perry Homes.
The plans call for there to be about 12,000 housing units, including 6,200 single-family houses, when the development is fully built out. The lakes are scheduled to take up 300 acres (120 ha) of land.
As of 2007 the housing prices range from $150,000 to $1 million. That year, David Goswick, a real estate advisor for the development, stated that the average sale price was $249,955.
The Shadow Creek Ranch Town Center, a 616,000 square feet (57,200 m2) retail development near Shadow Creek Ranch that is named after the master planned community, is located at the intersection of Texas State Highway 288 and Farm to Market Road 518. As of 2008 the center was 80% leased. Prior to 2008, WCF Development, Transwestern Development Co. and Buchanan Street Partners owned the center. In 2008 JPMorgan and an affiliate fund of AmREIT closed a deal which let them purchase the center for an amount not disclosed to the public. As of 2008, tenants in the center include Academy Sports & Outdoors, Ashley Furniture, H-E-B Plus!, and Hobby Lobby.
Primary and secondary schools
The Brazoria County portion of Shadow Creek Ranch is within the Alvin Independent School District. The Fort Bend County portion of Shadow Creek Ranch is within the Fort Bend Independent School District.
Alvin Independent School District
Students are zoned to:
- Mary Burks Marek Elementary School
- Laura Ingalls Wilder Elementary
- Glenn York Elementary School
- Nolan Ryan Junior High School
- Manvel High School (Manvel)
Prior to the opening of Marek in fall 2004, all Shadow Creek Ranch students were zoned to Don Jeter Elementary School in unincorporated Brazoria County .
Fort Bend Independent School District
FBISD plans to build a new elementary school for its section of Shadow Creek Ranch.
The Fort Bend County portions of SCR include: Arbor Lakes, Autumn Brook, Azalea Creek, Black Berry, Brook Run, Cedar Wood, Country Glen, Eden Cove, Edgewater, Holly Landing, Lake Meadows, Pelican Shore, Orchard Village, Piney Trails, West Haven, Westwood Spring, and Windy Shore.
Around 2005 the president of the Shadow Creek Ranch Development, Gary Cook, asked Alvin ISD to make an exception for its transfer policy for Shadow Creek Ranch residents living in Fort Bend County. The Alvin ISD school board approved the policy, and beginning in the 2005-2006 school year students in kindergarten through sixth grade in the Fort Bend County portion were allowed to transfer to Alvin ISD until Fort Bend ISD builds schools to accommodate Shadow Creek Ranch children in its area.
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston operates the St. Helen School, a K-8 parochial school, in Pearland. St. Helen is east of Shadow Creek Ranch.
The Brazoria County Library System operates the Pearland Westside Library, located on 6,000 square feet (560 m2) of space in an area at the intersection of Business Center Drive at Memorial Hermann Drive, behind the H-E-B in the Shadow Creek Ranch Town Center.
Colleges and universities
Additionally, Alvin Community College provides basic undergraduate courses and adult education; the AISD portion is in the ACC taxation zone.
Parks and recreation
According to the development plans by the Shadow Creek Ranch Development Co., parks, hike and bike trails, and parks are to occupy over 700 acres (280 ha) of land in Shadow Creek Ranch.
In 2003 the developers of the community donated 120-acre (49 ha) of parkland along Kingsley Drive, north of Shadow Creek Parkway in the northeast of the community, to the City of Pearland. At the time, the land was worth over $11 million. This land was scheduled to be used as a regional sports park. KGA Deforest was hired as the landscape architecture firm for the new park.
- Evans, Thayer (Chronicle Correspondent). "Pearland's housing market being led by Shadow Creek Ranch's growth." Houston Chronicle. April 18, 2007. Retrieved on March 20, 2014.
- "Shadow Creek Ranch developers donate land to Pearland." Houston Business Journal. September 8, 2003. Retrieved on March 20, 2014.
- "Annexation Map" (Archive). City of Pearland. Retrieved on March 21, 2014.
- Sarnoff, Nancy. "Perry building up momentum in Pearland's Shadow Creek Ranch." Houston Business Journal. August 26, 2001. p. 2. Retrieved on March 20, 2014.
- Pulsinelli, Olivia (web producer). "McCann Realty Partners building another Houston-area apartment community." Houston Business Journal. January 8, 2014. Retrieved on March 20, 2014.
- Dawson, Jennifer. "AmREIT, JPMorgan buy Shadow Creek Ranch Town Center." Houston Business Journal. February 29, 2008. Retrieved on March 20, 2014.
- Meeks, Flori. "Kelsey-Seybold expands its base in Pearland." Houston Chronicle. June 18, 2013. Retrieved on March 21, 2014.
- "City of Pearland School Districts." (Archive) City of Pearland. Retrieved on March 21, 2014.
- "Blue-ridge.pdf" (Archive). Fort Bend Independent School District. Retrieved on March 21, 2014.
- "McAuliffe.pdf" (Archive). Fort Bend Independent School District. Retrieved on March 21, 2014.
- "willowridge.pdf" (Archive) Fort Bend Independent School District. Retrieved on March 21, 2014.
- [dead link]
- "Residential Subdivisons and Apartments" (Archive). City of Pearland. Retrieved on March 21, 2014.
- "Alvin ISD to enroll Fort Bend ISD students" (Archive) Brazosport Facts. July 31, 2005. Retrieved on March 20, 2014.
- "PEARLAND WESTSIDE LIBRARY." Brazoria County Library System. Retrieved on March 21, 2014.
- "Pearland Westside Library" (Archive). Shadow Creek Ranch Town Center. Retrieved on March 21, 2014. "The facility, opened May 2013, consists of 6,000 square feet and is located on Business Center Drive at Memorial Hermann Drive in the back of the HEB Center."