|Headquarters||Beijing, People's Republic of China|
|People's Republic of China|
|Chairman: Mr. Zhang Zifei|
|Services||Coal production, transportation, Electricity generation|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||China Shenhua Energy Company|
Shenhua Group (Chinese: 神华集团) is a leading state-owned mining and energy company in China. It is the second largest coal-producing company in the world, next only to Coal India. It was founded in October 1995 under the auspices of the State Council of the People's Republic of China.
The Shenhua Group operates Shenfu Dongsheng coalfield as well as the affiliated railway assets, power plants, port facilities, shipping fleet, and coal liquefaction projects. In addition to the coal production in China, Shenhua is also looking at coal investments in Mongolia, Indonesia and Australia.
Shenhua opened a coal-to-liquid (CTL) plant, based in coal-rich Inner Mongolia, in 2008. The firm constructed the first coal-to-olefin plant.
On November 2, 2010 Dow Chemical Company announced plans to apply for permission to build the Yulin Integrated Project, a joint venture with Shenhua, to build an integrated complex of coal, power and chemicals in Yulin, Shaanxi.
The company has more than 30 subsidiaries, including:
- Shenhua Shenfu Coal Co.
- Dongsheng Coal Co.
- Shenhua Coal Trading
- Shenhua Shendong Power Co.
- Shenhua Railway Co.
- Shenhua Huanghua Port Co.
- Shenhua International Trading Co.
- Shenhua International (Hong Kong) Co.
- Shenhua Clean Coal Co.
The group plans to build the A$1 billion Shenhua Watermark coal mine in the Liverpool Plains in New South Wales, Australia. The Liverpool Plains are primary agricultural land and the mine has sparked controversy within Australia.
- "Shenhua Group – Present and Future" (PDF). IEA. Retrieved 2008-03-13.
- Richard McGregor (2007-10-09). "Shenhua Group: A pivotal position in the energy industry". Financial Times. Retrieved 2008-03-13.
- "Taking another important step forward… Dow and Shenhua Submit Project Application Report for Yulin Integrated Project" (Press release). Shanghai: Dow Chemical. November 2, 2010. Retrieved March 3, 2013.
Shenhua Group has made great achievements in the field of coal to liquids and chemicals where the direct coal liquefaction plant with independent intellectual property and the first coal-to-olefin plant in the world have all been put into operation.
- Chinese coal company releasing toxic wastewater, Greenpeace says The Guardian 23 July 2013
- Greenpeace reveals Chinese state coal company's ruthless water grab July 23, 2013
- The coal mine in NSW farmland that no one wants to claim responsibility for approving news.com.au, published: 11 July 2015, accessed: 12 July 2015