Skokomish Indian Tribe
Skokomish twined basket of red cedar bark, bear grass, cattail leaf, ca. 1890
|(796 enrolled members)|
|Regions with significant populations|
|United States ( Washington)|
|traditional tribal religion|
|Related ethnic groups|
|other Twana, Klallam, and Chimakum people|
The Skokomish Indian Tribe, formerly known as the Skokomish Indian Tribe of the Skokomish Reservation, and in its own official use the Skokomish Tribal Nation, is a federally recognized tribe of Skokomish, Twana, Klallam, and Chimakum people. They are a tribe of Southern Coast Salish indigenous people of the Pacific Northwest located in Washington. The Skokomish are one of nine bands of Twana people.
The Skokomish Reservation is located on several square miles of Mason County, just north of Shelton, Washington at . Some Klallam people were relocated onto the reservation after signing the 1855 Point No Point Treaty.
The Skokomish Indian Tribe is headquartered in Skokomish, Washington. The tribe is governed by a seven-member, democratically elected General Council. The current tribal administration is as follows:
- Chairman: Charles "Guy" Miller
- Vice-Chairman: Joseph Pavel
- Secretary: Alex Gouley
- Council Member: Terri Twiddy-Butler
- Council Member: Tim "Wiggs" LeClair
- Council Member: Annette Smith
- Council Member: Cody Andrews
- General Council President: Gilanne "Sissy" Delacruz
- Executive Secretary: Darlyn Warren.
The Skokomish tribe has become its one enterprise and is recognized as Skokomish Indian Tribal Enterprises. SITE owns the Lucky Dog Casino, North Fork Bar and Grill, the Drift Bar and Gift Shop, and Waterfront at Potlatch Hotel, all located in Skokomish, Washington. As of April 2015, the Skokomish Tribe acquired the beautiful Glen Ayr resort, located north of Hoodsport, Wa, along the beautiful Hood Canal.
- "Skokomish Tribe." Northwest Portland Area Indian Health Board. Retrieved 26 Sept 2013.
- "Twana." Ethnologue. Retrieved 26 Sept 2013.
- Pritzker 200
- INDIAN ENTITIES RECOGNIZED AND ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE SERVICES FROM THE UNITED STATES BUREAU OF INDIAN AFFAIRS Archived 2017-02-25 at the Wayback Machine.: Federal Register, Volume 79, Number 19: 5. 29 January 2014. Accessed 10 June 2014.
- "CORPORATE CHARTER of the SKOKOMISH INDIAN TRIBE OF THE SKOKOMISH INDIAN RESERVATION WASHINGTON." 18 June 1984.
- Skokomish Tribal Nation website
- Pritzker 203
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Skokomish Indian Tribe
- "Tribal Council Members." Skokomish Tribal Nation. Retrieved 26 Sept 2013.
- "Angel of the Winds Casino." 500 Nations. Retrieved 26 Sept 2013.
- Pritzker, Barry M. A Native American Encyclopedia: History, Culture, and Peoples. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000. ISBN 978-0-19-513877-1.
- Rebecca McLain, Skokomish Indian Tribe, Shelton, Washington - Academia.edu
- Skokomish Tribal Nation, official website
- Constitution of the Skokomish Indian Tribe, 17 March 1980
- "Skokomish Tribe reclaims its land, breath", Seattle Times