Spencer Township, Aitkin County, Minnesota
|Spencer Township, Minnesota|
|• Total||37.7 sq mi (97.6 km2)|
|• Land||36.9 sq mi (95.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.7 sq mi (1.9 km2)|
|Elevation||1,211 ft (369 m)|
|• Density||14/sq mi (5.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0665661|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 37.7 square miles (97.6 km2), of which 36.9 square miles (95.7 km2) is land and 0.73 square miles (1.9 km2), or 1.96%, is water.
The east edge of the city of Aitkin extends into the township, but is a separate entity.
- Hansen Lake
- Johnson Lake
- Little Hansen Lake
- Olson Lake
- Sisabagamah Lake (north half)
- Soderman Lakes (northeast quarter)
- Morrison Township (north)
- Fleming Township (northeast)
- Kimberly Township (east)
- Glen Township (southeast)
- Nordland Township (south)
- Farm Island Township (southwest)
- Aitkin Township (west)
The township contains these three cemeteries: Church of the Blessed Virgin, Evergreen and Spencer.
As of the census of 2000, there were 602 people, 222 households, and 166 families residing in the township. The population density was 16.3 people per square mile (6.3/km²). There were 258 housing units at an average density of 7.0/sq mi (2.7/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.51% White, 1.16% Native American, 0.33% Asian, 0.17% Pacific Islander, 0.50% from other races, and 0.33% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.66% of the population.
There were 222 households out of which 38.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 67.1% were married couples living together, 3.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.2% were non-families. 19.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.71 and the average family size was 3.11.
In the township the population was spread out with 28.4% under the age of 18, 5.0% from 18 to 24, 24.8% from 25 to 44, 29.2% from 45 to 64, and 12.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 102.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $63,542, and the median income for a family was $73,365. Males had a median income of $77,708 versus $41,875 for females. The per capita income for the township was $37,396. About 1.6% of families and 3.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.5% of those under age 18 and 8.7% of those age 65 or over.
- United States National Atlas
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States Board on Geographic Names (GNIS)
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Spencer township, Aitkin County, Minnesota". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved June 17, 2013.