Spokane Intermodal Center
|Amtrak inter-city rail station|
221 West 1st Avenue|
Spokane, Washington 99201
|Owned by||City of Spokane|
|Line(s)||BNSF Railway Spokane Subdivision|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
Amtrak Thruway Motorcoach|
Spokane Transit Authority
|Passengers (2017)||50,347 1.69%|
The Spokane Intermodal Center is an intermodal transport facility located in Spokane, Washington, United States. Built in 1891 for the Northern Pacific Railway, the historic facility now serves as a station, re-fueling, and service stop for the Amtrak Empire Builder, as well as the Greyhound, Trailways, and Jefferson Lines station for Spokane. The Empire Builder provides service daily between Chicago, Illinois and Spokane before continuing on to Seattle, Washington or Portland, Oregon.[Note 1]
The Intermodal Center is unique in the operation of the Empire Builder in that the westbound train splits into two sections. Since 1981, one heads to King Street Station in Seattle and the other to Union Station in Portland. Of the cars in the arriving westbound train, the first six Superliner cars (five passenger cars, a diner and a baggage car) go to Seattle, while a single locomotive from Spokane takes the last four cars (the Sightseer Lounge, two coaches and a sleeper) to Portland. The eastbound trains use the reverse operation, joining in Spokane before continuing on to the east end of the line at Chicago Union Station in Chicago. (The next eastbound stop is in Sandpoint, Idaho and the next westbound stops are in Ephrata, Washington for the Seattle section and Pasco, Washington for the Portland section.)
The station located just north of Interstate 90 and is about 0.5 miles (0.80 km) southwest of the Spokane campus of the University of Washington and 1 mile (1.6 km) southwest of the campus of Gonzaga University.
Boardings and alightings
- As of 6 October 2013, the westbound trains (Routes 7 & 27) are scheduled to arrive together at 1:40 am and depart to Seattle (Route 7) at 2:15 am and to Portland (Route 27) at 2:45 am. The eastbound train from Portland (Route 27) is scheduled to arrive at 12:13 and the train from Seattle (Route 7) at 12:45 am. Both trains are scheduled to depart together at 1:30 am.
- "Spokane, WA (SPK)". amtrak.com. Amtrak. Retrieved 3 Jan 2014.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2017, State of Washington" (PDF). amtrak.com. Amtrak. Nov 2017. Retrieved 16 July 2018.
- "Empire Builder" (PDF). amtrak.com. Amtrak. 6 Oct 2013. p. 2. Retrieved 3 Jan 2014.
- "Great American Stations: Spokane, WA (SPK)". greatamericanstations.com. Amtrak. Retrieved 3 Jan 2014.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2011: State of Washington" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2011. p. 1. Retrieved 6 Jan 2015.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2012: State of Washington" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2012. p. 1. Retrieved 6 Jan 2015.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2013: State of Washington" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2013. p. 1. Retrieved 6 Jan 2015.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2014: State of Washington" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2014. p. 1. Retrieved 12 Jan 2016.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2015: State of Washington" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2015. p. 1. Retrieved 12 Jan 2016.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2016: State of Washington" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2016. p. 1. Retrieved 12 Jan 2017.
Media related to Spokane Intermodal Center at Wikimedia Commons