St. Mary's Assumption Church (New Orleans, Louisiana)
St. Mary's Assumption Church
Corner of Constance and JosephineNew Orleans, LA 70130
|Architectural style||Baroque Revival, Late Victorian|
|NRHP Reference #||71000361|
|Added to NRHP||August 12, 1971|
|Designated NHL||May 30, 1974|
St. Mary's Assumption Church is a National Historic Landmark church at Constance and Josephine Streets in New Orleans, Louisiana. The church was completed in 1860, built for the swelling German Catholic immigrant population in the Lower Garden District section of the city (the church across the street, Saint Alphonsus Church, was built at the same time for the swelling Irish Catholic immigrant population in the same area). Both churches are extremely beautiful and ornate.
St. Mary's Assumption is home to a shrine and museum for Blessed Francis Xavier Seelos, a German priest who came to the United States to minister to German-speaking immigrants. Fr. Seelos died while serving as the pastor at St. Mary's Assumption: after visiting and caring for the victims of yellow fever, he succumbed to the disease himself in 1867. In recognition of his virtuous life, Fr. Seelos was beatified by the Roman Catholic Church in 2000.
In 1965, the church was heavily damaged by Hurricane Betsy, which resulted in the church being temporarily closed, and almost resulted in the church being demolished. In 2005, Hurricane Katrina caused heavy rain and wind damage, and water infiltration damaged interior plaster and ceiling, according to the National Park Service.
Best-selling novelist Anne Rice renewed her marriage vows at St. Mary's Assumption with her husband Stan. In addition, Anne Rice included the church in her fictional work. For example, in The Witching Hour, two of the main characters, Rowan and Michael, were married at St. Mary's Assumption. Also, in Blackwood Farm, the church is the setting of Aunt Queen's funeral. In 2005, Rice added text and pictures on her website that encouraged donations to St. Mary's Assumption to help repair the damage caused by Hurricane Katrina.
- List of National Historic Landmarks in Louisiana
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Orleans Parish, Louisiana
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St. Mary's Assumption Church, New Orleans.|
- National Park Service (2007-01-23). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "St. Mary's Assumption Church". National Historic Landmark summary listing. National Park Service. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Paul Goeldner (January 14, 1974), National Register of Historic Places Inventory-Nomination: St. Mary's Assumption Church (pdf), National Park Service and Accompanying 3 photos, exterior and interior, from 1955 and c.1964. (1.11 MB)
- "A History of St. Mary's Assumption Church". Jack Belsom. Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- "The Gospel according to Anne". BookPage. Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- "Help St. Mary's Recover from Hurricane Katrina". AnneRice.com. Retrieved 2008-04-19.
- Seelos Shrine - information about St. Mary's Assumption Church, Seelos Shrine and Museum