Stadium station (Edmonton)
|Edmonton LRT station|
|Owned by||City of Edmonton|
|Website||Stadium LRT Station|
|Electrified||600 V DC|
Stadium station is an Edmonton Light Rail Transit station in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. It serves the Capital Line. It is a ground-level station located at 111 Avenue and 84 Street, next to the Commonwealth Stadium and Clarke Stadium.
The station opened on April 22, 1978, and is one of the original five stations on the LRT system.
In 2013, ETS began to replace the platform at the station. Temporary platforms will be built at either end of the station while the new platform is built.
In 2008, the City initiated a transit-oriented development (TOD) study in the area surrounding the station. The TOD would develop and improve the commercial and residential areas within walking distance (400–800 meters) of the station. In 2012, the City Council tabled the project due to costs, but in early 2014 said it was still interested in exploring a TOD.
The station has a 125 metre long centre loading platform that can accommodate two five-car LRT trains at the same time, with one train on each side of the platform. The platform is just under eight metres wide, which is narrow by current Edmonton LRT design guidelines. 468 parking spaces are available to commuters at the station.
Stadium station has been the scene of several violent crimes in recent years.
- In 2010, a 23-year-old woman was shot in the face and killed by a stranger.
- In 2012, a man was robbed, while a second man who tried to help was stabbed.
- In 2013, a 19-year-old man was stabbed in broad daylight in front of several witnesses.
Around the station
Stadium Transit Centre
|Platforms||9 bus bays|
|Website||Stadium Transit Centre|
The Stadium Transit Centre is located on the east and west side of the LRT station (along 111 avenue). It is connected to the station by a pedestrian underpass below the station. This transit centre has park & ride and a drop off area. There are no public washrooms, pay phones, or vending machines at this transit centre.
The following bus routes serve the transit centre:
|Belvedere Transit Centre||125, 512|
|Coliseum Transit Centre||125, 512|
|Clareview Transit Centre||2, 512|
|Downtown||2, 120, 512|
|Jasper Place Transit Centre||120, 125|
|Kingsway/Royal Alex Transit Centre||125|
|Northlands||577 (during K-Days)|
|West Edmonton Mall Transit Centre||2|
|Westmount Transit Centre||125|
The above list does not include LRT services from the adjacent LRT station.
School special routes that arrive/depart from Stadium Transit Centre include routes: 837 and 858.
- "SD160 Light Rail Vehicle" (PDF). Siemens Transportation Systems, Inc. May 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on October 26, 2010. Retrieved August 1, 2014.
- "2017 LRT Passenger Count Report" (PDF). Edmonton Transit System. March 2018. Retrieved 7 May 2018.
- The other four are Belvedere station, Coliseum station, Churchill station and Central station.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-08-19. Retrieved 2013-06-17.
- "Stadium Station Transit Oriented Development Project". City of Edmonton. Retrieved February 21, 2013.
- Kent, Gordon (February 4, 2014). "City taking second look at development around Stadium LRT station". Edmonton Journal. Archived from the original on March 2, 2014. Retrieved February 5, 2014.
- City of Edmonton (July 2011). "LRT Design Guidelines 2011" (PDF). City of Edmonton. p. 700. Archived from the original (PDF) on June 1, 2012. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- "Stadium Transit Centre Map" (PDF). City of Edmonton. Retrieved October 2, 2017.
- "Stadium Transit Centre". City of Edmonton. Retrieved October 2, 2017.
- "Brochures in PDF". City of Edmonton. Retrieved October 2, 2017.
- "School Service: ETS Trip Planner". City of Edmonton. Retrieved October 2, 2017.
Media related to Stadium station (Edmonton) at Wikimedia Commons