Testino in 2007
Mario Eduardo Testino Silva
30 October 1954 (age 64)
|Education||Universidad del Pacífico|
Pontificia Universidad Catolica del Peru
University of San Diego
Apprenticeship John Vickers Studio (London)
Apprenticeship Paul Nugent Studio (London)
|Known for||Fashion photographer|
Mario Eduardo Testino Silva OBE (born 30 October 1954) is a Peruvian fashion and portrait photographer. His work has featured internationally in magazines such as Vogue, V Magazine, Vanity Fair and GQ. He has also created images for brands such as Gucci, Burberry, Versace, Michael Kors, Chanel, Stuart Weitzman, Carolina Herrera and Estée Lauder.
In 2007, he formed MARIOTESTINO+, which provides creative direction, art direction, brand strategy, graphic design, film and stills production, digital and social media, product development, books, exhibitions, licensing and partnerships.
Testino was born and grew up in Lima into a well-to-do Roman Catholic family. He was the eldest of six children and is of Spanish, Italian, and Irish descent. He attended a Catholic school, Santa Maria Marianistas. As a child he wanted to be a priest.
In 1976, he went to London to study photography after abandoning his studies of Economics, Law and International Affairs. It was during apprenticeships at the studios of John Vickers and Paul Nugent that he made his first attempts as a photographer. Living in an unconverted (?) floor of a hospital, without much money, he funded himself by working as a waiter. He had his hair dyed pink which helped him get noticed as a photographer and took inspiration from British celebrity fashion photographer Cecil Beaton. London was a city that allowed him to flourish expressively without the restrictions he felt were imposed on him in Peru.
During the early 1990s, Testino looked to his childhood growing up in Peru and his teenage summers in Brazil for inspiration, which helped him to shape his photographic language. His work first appeared in Vogue in 1983.
Testino has become one of the world's best-known and most celebrated fashion photographers. He has documented subjects from A-list stars, musicians, supermodels and artists as well as subjects he has encountered throughout his travels. His work has been featured in magazines such as Vogue, V Magazine, Vanity Fair, GQ, LOVE, Allure and VMan. Eighteen exhibitions and more than 16 books have been published on his work. Suzy Menkes, Vogue's International Editor explains, "Testino's skill is first and foremost to catch the moment and to bring out the humanity in his subjects".
Some of Testino's most recognizable work derives from his portraits of royals, most famously, his series with Diana, Princess of Wales in 1997. Commissioned for Vanity Fair he said: "[Diana] opened a door for me because I then started photographing the royal families of Europe extensively ... this brings out my love for tradition, for a way of showing family and the longevity of people". Testino was also the official photographer for portraits of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on the occasion of their engagement in December 2010. In July 2015, he took the official photographs of the British Royal Family after Princess Charlotte of Cambridge's christening at Sandringham Estate. He has photographed many other royal families in a similar fashion.
Testino's collaboration with Tom Ford and fashion stylist Carine Roitfeld on provocative advertising campaigns in the mid-1990s is widely credited to have led to the revival of Gucci as a major fashion house.
Aaron Hicklin of The Observer described him as "the world's most prolific magazine and fashion trade photographer". His persistence in shooting Gisele Bündchen and Kate Moss is widely credited with elevating their supermodel status.
Testino was nicknamed the "John Singer Sargent of our times" by Terence Pepper, photography curator at the National Portrait Gallery in London. The Gallery's 2002 Portraits exhibition attracted more visitors than any other show in the museum's history at the time. For ten years it had the highest attendance of any exhibition ever to be held there. Over the next four years the exhibition toured globally.
Testino's personal art collection has been the subject of two exhibitions. The first, Somos Libres in 2013 was at MATE - Museo Mario Testino in Lima, Peru. The second installation in 2014, Somos Libres II took place at the Pinacoteca Giovanni e Marella Agnelli in Turin, Italy. His relationship with fine art developed through frequent visits to galleries and artists studios, and he has collaborated to create works with artists such as Keith Haring, Vik Muniz, John Currin and Julian Schnabel.
In 2011, he was awarded an Honorary Fellowship by The Royal Photographic Society. These are awarded to distinguished persons having, from their position or attainments, an intimate connection with the science or fine art of photography or the application thereof. In this same year GQ also awarded Testino the Man of the Year Inspiration Award.
Within the fashion and entertainment industry, he received the Walpole Ward for services to the luxury industry (2009), the Rodeo Drive Walk of Style Award (2005) and the British Style Award (2003).
Allure, Burberry, Calvin Klein, Carolina Herrera, Roberto Cavalli, Chanel, Cîroc, Dolce & Gabbana, Estée Lauder, Etro, Fabergé, Ferragamo, Furla, Gap, GQ, Gucci, Givenchy, Harper's Bazaar, Hugo Boss, Iguatemi, Lancôme, Loewe, The Macallan, Massimo Dutti, Mercedes Benz, Michael Kors, Missoni, Ochirly, Ralph Lauren, Revlon, Stefanel, St John, Stuart Weitzman, Shiseido, Shanghai Tang, Sonia Rykiel, Tod's, Trussardi, V Magazine, Valentino, Vanity Fair, Versace, VMAN, Vogue (American, Brazilian, British, Chinese, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian and Spanish editions), Wolford.
Works and exhibitions
Sexual harassment accusations
In January 2018, Testino was accused by 13 male assistants and models who worked with him of sexual harassment. Models Roman Barrett, Jason Fedele and Ryan Locke complained about his behaviour during campaigns in the 1990s.
More allegations against Mario Testino came to light on March 3rd, 2018. Four of the five new allegations described their incidents occurring during or after 2010. Testino has denied all allegations. The total number of people publicly accusing Testino of sexual assault rose to 18.
Testino has been honoured for his contributions to many non-profit causes and charitable organizations through various awards and recognitions. In 2010, he was appointed one of the highest honours in his native country, The Grand Cross Order of Merit in Peru, and became President of the Board of World Monuments Fund Peru in 2014.
In his role as a Save the Children ambassador he helped to raise funds to build the El Salvador Clinic in the Pueblo Nuevo District, Chincha in his native Peru. The clinic was built for children with tuberculosis in the area badly affected by the devastating earthquake, which hit the coast of Peru in August 2007. The El Salvador Clinic was entirely funded from the sale of a single print from his portraits of Princess Diana, auctioned for £100,000.
He helped to raise funds for Natalia Vodianova's Naked Heart Foundation to build a playground in a Moscow children’s hospital specializing in cancer. It is a cause close to his heart since his brother died from the disease at the age of 10.
In July 2013, Testino opened his first non-profit association in Barranco, Lima. Museo Mario Testino was established to act as a dynamic platform for Peruvian art through the cultivation and promotion of culture and heritage.
Recognition and awards
|Year||Award or event||Notes||Location|
|2017||Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur||for services to culture, French residences||Lima, Peru|
|2016||Clio Fashion & Beauty Lifetime Achievement Award||57th Annual Award Show||New York City, US|
|2016||Business of Fashion Global VOICES Award||for outstanding achievement in fashion and exemplary impact on the wider world, Business of Fashion VOICES||Oxfordshire, UK|
|2015||International Center of Photography Infinity Award||Special Presentation||New York City, US|
|2014||Honorary Officer of the Order of the British Empire||in recognition of services to photography and charity||London, UK|
|2014||Best Photographer in the World Award||Spanish Vogue||Madrid, Spain|
|2012||AmfAR Inspiration Award||São Paulo, Brazil|
|2011||British GQ Man of the Year||Inspiration Award||London, UK|
|2011||El Museo del Barrio Lifetime Achievement Award||New York City, US|
|2011||Honorary Fellowship of The Royal Photographic Society||Bath, UK|
|2011||Moët & Chandon Étoile Award||London, UK|
|2011||Queen Sofía Spanish Institute Gold Medal||New York City, US|
|2010||The Grand Cross rank of the Order of Merit for Distinguished Service in Peru||Lima, Peru|
|2009||Walpole Award for services to the luxury industry||London, UK|
|2008||ASME National Magazine Award||“Best Fashion Cover” for the September 2007 edition of Vanity Fair||New York City, US|
|2008||Commitment Award||United Nations and Women Together||New York City, US|
|2008||Hero Award||Aid for Aids||New York City|
|2007||The Tiradentes Medal||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|2005||Rodeo Drive Walk of Style Award||Los Angeles, California|
|2004||Doctor Emeritus of the University of the Arts London||London, UK|
|2003||British Style Award||London, UK|
|2003||Elle Style Award||London, UK|
- "Biography". mariotestino.com. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Testino's World: A Revealing Look Inside a Photographer's Private Art Collection - Artphaire". Artphaire. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- "Mario Testino | The Business of Fashion". Retrieved 22 September 2015.
- "Super Mario World". Retrieved 22 September 2015.
- Hicklin, Aaron. "Mario Testino interview: the man who makes models super". The Observer. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- Hicklin, Aaron (21 October 2012). "Mario Testino interview: the man who makes models super". The Observer. Retrieved 21 October 2012.
- "Mario Testino biography". Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- Farndale, Nigel (24 February 2009). "Mario Testino: 'it's not all glamour'". Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- Sayej, Nadja. "Mario Testino: 'I was always better at photographing men'". the Guardian. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Mario Testino on Cecil Beaton's portraits of the Queen at the V&A". Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- Hicklin, Aaron. "Mario Testino interview: the man who makes models super". the Guardian. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- Collyns, Dan. "Mario Testino returns home to focus on the beauty of Peru". the Guardian. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Mario Testino". Retrieved 2015-09-01.
- Menkes, Suzy (2 October 2011). "Mario Testino: 30 Years Behind the Camera". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- Friend, David. "Masters of Photography: Mario Testino". Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "Mario Testino". The Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "Picture of Happiness: Mario Testino on Photographing the Royal Engagement Portrait". Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "Mario Testino awarded honorary OBE". BBC News.
- "Tendances de Mode - Actualité, Tendances et Conseils de mode". tendances-de-mode.com. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "YouTube.com". Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- "Press Release - Omnibus". bbc.co.uk. 8 January 2002.
- "National Portrait Gallery - Mario Testino: Portraits". npg.org.uk. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "Mario Testino's shrewd eye for art-Telegraph". Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "Biography". mariotestino.com. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "The secret diary of Mario Testino: What the world's most glamorous". The Independent. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- "The Face/Keith Haring And Mario Testino Fashion Spread". testpressing.org. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- "VikMuniz". vikmuniz.net. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- "John Currin". www.sadiecoles.com. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- Christmann, Von Holger. "Spaß am Set ist wichtig". ZEIT.de (in German). Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- "World-renowned photographer Mario Testino awarded honorary OBE". UK Department for Culture, Media & Sport. 14 January 2014. Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- "Honorary Fellowships". Royal Photographic Society. Retrieved 29 April 2015.
- "Video: Mario Testino's speech". Retrieved 18 September 2015.
- "Super Mario World". Retrieved 18 September 2015.
- "IN YOUR FACE . Mario Testino". faap.br. Retrieved 18 September 2015.
- "Testino Honoured". 17 November 2009. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Rodeo Drive Walk of Style Highlights". lovebeverlyhills.com. Retrieved 18 September 2015.
- "Mario Testino And Alek Wek, The Lycra British Style Awards 2003, Held..." Retrieved 18 September 2015.
- "Mario Testino CV". mariotestino.com. Retrieved 30 October 2015.
- "Male Models Say Mario Testino and Bruce Weber Sexually Exploited Them", The New York Times, 13 January 2018.
- "Mario Testino and Bruce Weber 'sexually exploited models'", The Guardian, 11 January 2018.
- "Vogue publisher drops Bruce Weber and Mario Testino over misconduct allegations", CNN, 15 January 2018.
- Sexual harassment in fashion The New York Times, March 3, 2018
- "Mario Testino: Peru and me, World Update". BBC. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- Collyns, Dan. "Mario Testino returns home to focus on the beauty of Peru". the Guardian. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "Museo Mario Testino". www.mariotestino.com. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- "Art Gallery Find: MATE Museo Mario Testino Lima". Melting Butter. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- "British Vogue". 14 June 2016.
- "Clio Awards". Retrieved 1 November 2016.
- "The Business of Fashion". Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- "Infinity Awards". Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "World-renowned photographer Mario Testino awarded honorary OBE". gov.uk. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Mario Testino awarded Best Photographer of the World – Madrid". Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "amfAR: Inspiration Gala São Paulo 2012: The Foundation for AIDS Research: HIV/AIDS Research". amfar.org. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Video: Mario Testino's speech". Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "El Museo Del Barrio Honors Mario Testino". ninunina. 29 May 2011. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Honorary Fellowships - RPS". rps.org. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Moët & Chandon Etoile Awards". Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Gold Medal Gala | Queen Sofía Spanish Institute - New York". spanishinstitute.org. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Super Mario World". Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Best Cover Contest 2008 Winners & Finalists". magazine.org. 2008. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Mario Testino. Todo o Nada | Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza". museothyssen.org. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "IN YOUR FACE: Mario Testino". faap.br. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Rodeo Drive Walk of Style Highlights". lovebeverlyhills.com. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Mario Testino - Deckchair Dream Artist - Royal Parks Foundation". supporttheroyalparks.org. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Mario Testino And Alek Wek, The Lycra British Style Awards 2003, Held..." Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- "Italian photographer Mario Testino attends the 'Lycra British Style ..." Retrieved 1 September 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mario Testino.|