This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (December 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Opening his first New York City retail store and showroom in 1994 to curate and sell the works of other designers, by 1999 Alan launched his own line of ready-to-wear standards, including his now-signature "Reverse Seam" button-down, chinos, and cotton dresses in colorful plaids, stripes and chambray. New York described the collection as catering to those "looking for edgier versions of traditional garb."
Having expanded to six eponymous New York locations, in 2008 the brand opened three shops in Southern California. On November 11, 2011, its first San Francisco, CA boutique opened in Hayes Valley. Alan has also designed collections for Urban Outfitters, Uniqlo, Keds , and a collection of khakis and sportswear for Dockers.
On April 29, 2011, Women's Wear Daily reported that Steven Alan had sold a minority share in his company to Fossil, Inc. and Shinola Detroit founder Tom Kartsotis. Kartsotis and a group of investors are acquiring American-made fashion brands under the name Bedrock Manufacturing Corp. In 2016, Steven Alan split from Bedrock.
Alan's designs and collections have gained critical attention from British Vogue, Teen Vogue, Nylon, New York magazine, the New York Times, Los Angeles Times, and others. The fashion-industry trade journal Women's Wear Daily reported "Steven Alan has become a household name for hip consumers, including actresses Mary-Kate Olsen and Natalie Portman."
- Kendall Herbst, Steven Alan, New York Magazine
- Katie Hintz-Zambrano, refinery29, November 10, 2011, First Look: Steven Alan's First-Ever S.F. Shop!
- Naomi Nevitt, March 18, 2009, Ready, Set, Style! Uniqlo Launches Steven Alan and Opening Ceremony Designer Collections Tomorrow
- Nick Grant, July 26, 2011, Steven Alan x Keds "Anchor" Collection Complex magazine
- Eric Wilson, September 1, 2010, Fast Forward for Strides in Khaki New York Times
- David Lipke, April 29, 2011, Steven Alan Sells Minority Stake, Women's Wear Daily
- "The Real History of America's Most Authentic Fake Brand". Inc.com. 2017-03-31. Retrieved 2017-01-24.
- Stores stevenalan.com
- Steven Alan Downsizing: Exits Wholesale, Closing Stores Women’s Wear Daily, Jean E. Palmieri, April 25, 2018
- "Steven Alan Spring/Summer 2012". British Vogue. Retrieved December 23, 2011.
- Baume, Gloria. "editors' pick: steven alan's seventies trip". Teen Vogue. Retrieved December 23, 2011.
- Davis, Rebecca Willa. "spring preview: steven alan". Nylon. Retrieved December 23, 2011.
- Kendall Herbst, Steven Alan
- Eric Wilson, September 2, 2010, "Fast Forward for Strides in Khaki
- Magsaysay, Melissa. "Steven Alan's take on the perfect travel bag". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved December 23, 2011.
- Otey, Anne-Marie. "Retail Profile: Steven Alan". review. Women's Wear Daily. Retrieved December 23, 2011.