Photo Hreinn Gudlaugsson
2 April 1979 |
Stian Westerhus (born 2 April 1979 in Jådåren near Steinkjer, Norway) is a Norwegian guitarist known for his experimental style, exposed with keyboardist Øystein Moen in the bands Jaga Jazzist and Puma and in collaborations with musicians like Sidsel Endresen, Nils Petter Molvær, Arve Henriksen, Jan Bang and Ingar Zach.
He was first recognised by a broader audience within the experimental jazz band Puma, with whom he released four albums. The soloalbum Pitch Black Star Spangled (2010) on Rune Grammofon got some attention in reviews.
The album Didymoi Dreams (2012) is his debut as a duo with experimental jazz singer Sidsel Endresen, a meeting of experience insane guitar rhythms with a gibberish vocal world. They have been of great inspiration to new experimental Norwegian musicians like Natalie Sandtorv and Torgeir Standal in The Jist duo.
Photos: Hreinn Gudlaugsson
- Spellemannprisen 2012, in the class Jazz together witn Sidsel Endresen, for the album Didymoi Dreams
- 2009: Galore (Rune Grammofon/The Last Record Company)
- 2010: Pitch Black Star Spangled (Rune Grammofon)
- 2012: The Matriarch and the Wrong Kind of Flowers (Rune Grammofon)
- 2014: Maelstrom (Rune Grammofon), as S.W. & Pale Horses
- 2016: Amputation (House of Mythology)
- With Puma
- 2007: Isolationism (Bolage Records)
- 2008: Discotheque Bitpunching (Bolage Records)
- 2009: Fist Full of Knuckles with Lasse Marhaug (Knuckleman Records)
- 2010: Half Nelson Courtship (Rune Grammofon)
- With Fraud
- 2007: Fraud (The Babel Labell UK)
- With Terje Isungset
- With Monolithic
- 2009: Black Science (RoggBif/Vendlus)
- With Bladed
- 2009: Mangled Dreams (Crispin Glover Records)
- 2009: From Frozen Feet Heat Came (MyRecordings)
- With Sidsel Endresen
- 2012: Didymoi Dreams (Rune Grammofon)
- With BOL
- 2012: Numb, Number (Gigafon)
- With Ulver
- 2017: The Assassination of Julius Caesar (House of Mythology)
- 2010: Eldbjørg Raknes - Sense (MyRecordings)
- 2011: PELbO - Days of Transcendence (Riot Factory)
- 2012: Nils Petter Molvær - Baboon Moon (Sula Records)
Awards and scholarships
- 2010 - Sparebank 1 SNM's jazz scholarship awarded at Moldejazz.
- 2008 - BBC’s Award for Innovation in Jazz with Fraud (UK)
- 2007 - Sparebank 1 SNM's jazz talent scholarship awarded at Moldejazz
- 2007 - Ronnie Scott's Award for Best Newcomer 2007 (UK) with Fraud
- 2006 - Trondheim Jazz Festival's talent prize with Bladed
- 2006 - Moldejazz's young jazz musician of the year with Puma
- Kelman, John (2012-06-27). "Stian Westerhus: Pitch Black Star Spangled (2010)". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2014-11-05.
- "Jazzlinja". Norges Teknisk-Naturvitenskapelige Universitet. Archived from the original on September 21, 2013. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- Furu, Svein Magnus (2012-06-28). "Vennlig holmgang". Music Reviews (in Norwegian). Morgenbladet. Retrieved 2013-11-17.
- Hareuveni, Eyal (2014-05-02). "The Jist: The Jist (2014)". All About Jazz. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Jazznytt". Jazznytt.no. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
- "WebCite query result". Webcitation.org. Retrieved 6 January 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stian Westerhus.|
|Recipient of the Jazz Spellemannprisen
Karin Krog & John Surman