Strategic Response Group
|Strategic Response Group|
|Branch||New York City Police Department|
|Part of||Special Operations Bureau|
The Strategic Response Group (SRG) is a rapid reaction force of the New York City Police Department (NYPD) tasked with immediate intervention duties during periods of civil unrest, terrorist incidents, or other citywide emergencies. It was established in 2015.
Prior to 2015, situations in New York City that required the rapid response of police forces in a certain section of the city would be handled through a system of mobilization and redistribution of specially designated patrol units from the city's precincts. In 2014, New York City Police Commissioner William Bratton determined this was an inefficient system and that a special force of dedicated police officers would offer certain advantages, including the ability to operate and train as a cohesive unit. The NYPD announced plans to create the Strategic Response Group in January 2015, and the unit became active in May of that year.
Initial plans called for 350 officers in the SRG, but by the end of 2015 the number of officers had increased to 800. Funding has been provided both by city appropriation and grants from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
The Strategic Response Group is designed to provide a large, rapidly deployable force of police for situations such as civil unrest, large-scale terrorist attacks, and special high-profile events such as the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade or meetings of the United Nations General Assembly. When not otherwise responding to one of these critical incidents, the SRG is used to conduct emphasis patrols in neighborhoods which have experienced recent spikes in crime.
The Strategic Response Group operates 119 Ford Police Interceptor Utility SUVs. Its officers are equipped with ballistic helmets, M4 carbines, and riot shields in addition to standard police equipment.
Comparable units in other countries:
- Mobile Gendarmerie, France.
- Police Support Unit & Territorial Support Group, UK.
- Units for the Reinstatement of Order, Greece.
- Police Tactical Unit, Hong Kong (China).
- (Intervention Group), Montreal (Canada)
- Destefano, Anthony (January 30, 2015). "NYPD to Create Strategic Response Group". Officer. Retrieved February 3, 2017.
- "Meet Strategic Response Group Police Officer Mariana Diaz". NYPD News. New York Police Department. Retrieved February 3, 2017.
- Heins, Scott (December 17, 2015). "A Visit With The "Goon Squad": Meet The NYPD's Specially Trained Protest Police". Gothamist. Archived from the original on February 8, 2017. Retrieved February 3, 2017.
- "Commissioner Bratton Unveils Plans For New High-Tech Anti-Terror Police Unit". WCBS-TV. January 29, 2015. Retrieved February 3, 2017.
- "Special Operations". nyc.gov. New York Police Department. Retrieved January 19, 2018.
- Meminger, Dean (December 22, 2015). "Heavily Armed Police Unit, Focused on Terror Attacks, Fans Out Across All Boroughs". New York 1. Retrieved February 3, 2017.