Streets of Rage 4
|Streets of Rage 4|
Guard Crush Games
|Series||Streets of Rage|
|Genre(s)||Beat 'em up|
Streets of Rage 4 is an upcoming side-scrolling beat 'em up video game in development by Lizardcube and Guard Crush Games and published by DotEmu in association with Sega. The game is the fourth installment in Sega's Streets of Rage series that appeared on the Sega Genesis and the sequel to the 1994 game Streets of Rage 3. The game was announced in August 2018 and is scheduled for release in 2019, with platforms yet to be announced.
Carrying on the style of gameplay from previous entries, Streets of Rage 4 is a side-scrolling beat 'em up in which players fight against waves of enemies using an array of attacks and special moves. New to the gameplay formula is the ability to recover health spent using a special attack by performing successive follow-up attacks. Players are also able to juggle opponents against each other and walls for extended combos. Returning characters Axel Stone and Blaze Fielding appear, with other characters yet to be announced.
Rumors of a fourth entry in the Streets of Rage series being in development have circulated since the 1990s. Following the success of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, a 2017 remake of 1989's Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap, publisher DotEmu and developer Lizardcube approached Sega about creating a sequel in the Streets of Rage series. Sega agreed and production on the game began in the beginning of 2018, with the game publicly announced on August 27, 2018. The game is being co-developed by Guard Crush Games, using a modified engine from their Streets of Fury video game. It is yet to be confirmed if series composer Yuzo Koshiro will return for the game's soundtrack.
- Fillari, Alessandro (2018-09-11). "Streets Of Rage 4 Is A Nostalgic Trip Back To A Classic Series". GameSpot. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- "PAX hands-on: Retro sequels Streets of Rage 4, Windjammers 2 take us back to '94". Ars Technica. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- "Streets of Rage 4 interview with Lizardcube, Dotemu and Guard Crush Game". The Gaming Ground. 2018-11-22. Retrieved 2018-11-22.
- "Retrospective: Sega's Streets of Rage Series". Nintendo Life. 2015-04-05. Retrieved 2018-11-14.
- "Streets of Rage 4 is giving beat-em-ups a new lease on life". Polygon. Retrieved 2018-11-03.
- TgamesFR, INTERVIEW 2018 YUZO KOSHIRO (STREETS OF RAGE 4 ?) IN PARIS MUSICS CONCERT SUBTITLES ENGLISH & FRENCH, retrieved 2019-01-23
- 古代祐三 (2018-08-27). "Thanks guys. I think I understand what you are expecting. But currently I can say nothing about the SOR4 things right here. I hope you guys understand..." @yuzokoshiro. Retrieved 2019-01-23.