Sugarcreek Township, Greene County, Ohio
|Sugarcreek Township, Greene County, Ohio|
The Berryhill-Morris House, built 1832
Location of Sugarcreek Township in Greene County
|• Total||26.6 sq mi (68.9 km2)|
|• Land||26.4 sq mi (68.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2)|
|Elevation||807 ft (246 m)|
|• Density||305/sq mi (117.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086174|
Located in the southwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships and city:
- Beavercreek Township - north
- Spring Valley Township - east
- Wayne Township, Warren County - south
- Washington Township, Montgomery County - west
- Kettering - northwest
Name and history
Sugarcreek Township was established in 1803. The township was named for its Sugar Creek, a tributary of the Little Miami River. It is the only Sugarcreek Township statewide, although there are five Sugar Creek Townships.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Sugarcreek township, Greene County, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved January 18, 2017.
- Greene County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- Greene County, Ohio, Greene County Auditor's Office, 2002. Accessed 2008-08-17.
- Broadstone, Michael A. (1918). History of Greene County, Ohio: Its People, Industries and Institutions, Volume 1. B.F. Bowen. p. 238.
- Dills, R. S. (1881). History of Greene County: Together with Historic Notes on the Northwest, and the State of Ohio ... Odell & Mayer. p. 627.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.