Sun Way Flight 4412
An Ilyushin Il-76TD similar to the crashed aircraft
|Date||28 November 2010|
|Fatalities||12 (8 on board + 4 on the ground)|
|Aircraft type||Ilyushin Il-76TD|
|Flight origin||Jinnah International Airport, Karachi, Pakistan|
|Destination||Khartoum International Airport, Sudan|
Sun Way Flight 4412 was an international scheduled cargo flight from Jinnah International Airport in Karachi, Pakistan to Khartoum International Airport in Sudan. On 28 November 2010, the Sun Way Ilyushin Il-76 operating the flight crashed while attempting to go back to Jinnah International Airport after one of the starboard engines caught fire. Twelve people were killed in the crash, including everyone on board the aircraft and four people on the ground.
The aircraft involved was an Ilyushin Il-76TD, registration 4L-GNI, that was being operated by Sun Way, a Georgian cargo airline. The aircraft was reported as having undergone a thorough technical inspection in the two weeks prior to the accident.
Sun Way Flight 4412 departed Jinnah International Airport at 01:48 local time (20:48 UTC, 27 November) bound for Khartoum International Airport. The Ilyushin Il-76TD was carrying 31 tonnes of relief supplies for Sudan, reported to be a cargo of tents. Eyewitnesses saw that one of the starboard engines was on fire as the aircraft climbed out of Jinnah. The crew attempted to return to Jinnah, but the aircraft crashed on approach to runway 07R. The aircraft crashed into buildings under construction at a housing complex for the Pakistan Navy, setting several of them on fire. Rescue authorities confirmed that four people were killed that were not on board the aircraft. The pilot was a Russian, whilst the other seven crew were Ukrainian. The short wreckage trail is indicative of a stall, with the aircraft crashing with little forward speed.
The force of the explosion was so great that local residents thought that a bomb had exploded. The ground casualties were reported to be construction workers. The site of the crash was near where a Pakistani twin-engine turboprop crashed after take-off from Karachi three weeks previously, killing all 21 people on board.
Nationalities of victims
- Hradecky, Simon. "Crash: Sun Way IL76 at Karachi on Nov 28th 2010, engine fire". The Aviation Herald. Retrieved 28 November 2010.
- "Sun Way." Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 29 November 2010.
- Авиакатастрофа в Пакистане унесла жизни россиянина и 7 украинцев (in Russian). Rian. Retrieved 28 November 2010.
- "Cargo plane crashes in Karachi residential area". Reuters. 28 November 2010. Retrieved 28 November 2010.
- "Vrachtvliegtuig crasht in woonwijk Pakistan". De Telegraaf (in Dutch). Retrieved 28 November 2010.
- "Plane from Karachi crashes with eight people on board". BBC News. 28 November 2010. Retrieved 28 November 2010.
- "Cargo plane crashes in Karachi". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 28 November 2010.