Superman: The Wedding Album
|Superman: The Wedding Album|
|Publication date||December 1996|
|No. of issues||1|
Superman: The Wedding Album is an American comic book published in 1996 by DC Comics. It is notable in that it features the long-awaited wedding of Superman/Clark Kent and Lois Lane in DC Comics continuity, an event that was nearly 60 years in the making. Bearing a cover date of December 1996, the issue was published during the week of October 6, 1996, coinciding with an episode of the television series Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman which also featured the wedding of the two characters. The story was written by the five principal writers for the Superman titles at the time: Dan Jurgens, Karl Kesel, David Michelinie, Louise Simonson, and Roger Stern.
The story follows after a yearlong breakup between Lois and Clark. Lois returns to Metropolis from her job as a foreign correspondent and agrees to marry Clark. The wedding is put together quickly, but no corners are cut. During this storyline, Clark is without his powers as Superman, having lost them during the previous Final Night crossover. There are brief cameos by many DC superheroes and a short passage with Batman, who offers an apartment owned by him to the couple and gets the superheroes of the DC Universe to look after Metropolis while Clark goes on his honeymoon.
Jimmy Olsen serves as best man, with Lucy Lane serving as maid of honor. The wedding is a traditional Christian variety in a big church (the Metropolis Chapel of United Faiths) although Lois, who is estranged with her father Sam Lane at the time and refuses to be walked down the aisle by him. Despite this, Sam attends his daughter's wedding as a witness, refusing to miss this moment. The priest that presides over the wedding is drawn to look like Jerry Siegel, one of the creators of Superman. The pews are also filled up with the writers and artists that have contributed to the Superman comic books over the years, including Joe Shuster, Superman's other creator.
After The Wedding Album, The Adventures of Superman #541, Action Comics #728 and Superman: The Man of Steel #63 featured Lois and Clark's honeymoon in Hawaii. Clark is captured by Rajiv Naga and needs Lois' help to escape since he does not have any powers, having lost them during The Final Night crossover story arc.
In 2015, building on the Convergence mini-series, DC Comics released an eight-issue comic book series Superman: Lois and Clark, re-introducing the characters and events of this story, which was erased from the New 52 relaunch in 2011. Despite the rebirth of their universe as a part of the new multiverse following the conclusion of Convergence, married Lois and Clark are stranded in the New 52 reality. Living and working behind the scenes in the new universe, avoiding contact with their counterparts as they raise their son, Jonathan Samuel Kent.
In 2016, DC Comics relaunched its entire line of comic book titles with DC Rebirth. DC Comics re-established Lois and Clark's relationship and marriage in DC continuity, along with their son Jonathan, who eventually becomes the newest Superboy in the DC Universe.
- Superman The Wedding and Beyond - the wedding and honeymoon of Lois and Clark are collected in one volume, includes Superman #118, Adventures of Superman #541, Action Comic #728, Superman: The Man of Steel #63 and Superman: The Wedding Album, released in November 1997.
- DC Comics Presents: Superman: Lois & Clark 100 Page Super Spectacular - reprint of Superman: The Wedding Album, released in November 2015, with cover art by Ryan Sook.
The book was a top vote getter for the Comics Buyer's Guide Fan Award for Favorite Comic-Book Story for 1997.
Previous weddings involving the two characters had all been hoaxes, dreams, or imaginary tales. The notable exception is the wedding depicted in Action Comics #484 (June 1978), between the Golden Age Superman and Lois Lane which inhabitants Earth-Two.
- Dimino, Russ. The Many Faces Of... Super-Weddings! KryptonSite.com.
- John McNamara (writer); Michael Lange (director) (1996-10-06). "Swear to God, This Time We're Not Kidding". Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. Season 4. Episode 3. ABC.
- Manning, Matthew K.; Dolan, Hannah, ed. (2010). "1990s". DC Comics Year By Year A Visual Chronicle. Dorling Kindersley. p. 275. ISBN 978-0-7566-6742-9.
The behind-the-scenes talent on the monumental issue appropriately spanned several generations of the Man of Tomorrow's career. Written by Dan Jurgens, Karl Kesel, David Michelinie, Louise Simonson, and Roger Stern, the one-shot featured the pencils of John Byrne, Gil Kane, Stuart Immonen, Paul Ryan, Jon Bogdanove, Kieron Dwyer, Tom Grummett, Dick Giordano, Jim Mooney, Curt Swan, Nick Cardy, Al Plastino, Barry Kitson, Ron Frenz, and Dan Jurgens.
- Jurgens, Dan; Kesel, Karl; Michelinie, David; Simonson, Louise; Stern, Roger (w), Byrne, John; Gammill, Kerry; Kane, Gil; Immonen, Stuart; Ryan, Paul; Bogdanove, Jon; Dwyer, Kieron; Grummett, Tom; Giordano, Dick; Mooney, Jim; Swan, Curt; Cardy, Nick; Plastino, Al; Kitson, Barry; Frenz, Ron; Jurgens, Dan (p), Austin, Terry; Anderson, Murphy; McLeod, Bob; Marzan, Jr., Jose; Breeding, Brett; Janke, Dennis; Hazelwood, Doug; Rodier, Denis; Thibert, Art; Pérez, George; Guice, Jackson; Cardy, Nick; Plastino, Al; McCarthy, Ray; Rubinstein, Joe; Ordway, Jerry (i). "The Wedding Album" Superman: The Wedding Album 1 (December 1996)
- Pérez, George (w), Pérez, George (p), Merino, Jesus (i). "What Price Tomorrow?" Superman v3, 1 (November 2011)
- Dan Jurgens (w), Lee Weeks (p), Scott Hanna (i). "Arrival Part 1" Superman: Lois and Clark 1 (December 2015)
- Dan Jurgens (w), Patrick Zirche (p). "Path to Doom: Part 1" Action Comics v3, 957 (August 2016)
- Peter J. Tomasi. (w), Patrick Gleason, Mick Gray (p). "THE SON OF SUPERMAN: chapter one" Superman v4, 1 (August 2016)
- Superman The Wedding and Beyond. DC Comics. November 1997. p. 192. ISBN 1-56389-392-4.
- DC Comics Presents: Superman: Lois & Clark 100 Page Super Spectacular. DC Comics. November 2015.