Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Publicly traded Aktiebolag|
|Traded as||Nasdaq Stockholm: SCA B|
|Pär Boman (Chairman), Magnus Groth (President and CEO)|
Personal care products
Sawn wood products
|Revenue||SEK 115.316 billion (2015)|
|SEK 10.947 billion (2015)|
|Profit||SEK 7.452 billion (2015)|
|Total assets||SEK 152.372 billion (end 2015)|
|Total equity||SEK 75.691 billion (end 2015)|
Number of employees
|44,000 (December 2015)|
Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget (SCA, English: Swedish Cellulose Company) is a Swedish consumer goods company and pulp and paper manufacturer with headquarters in Stockholm. It has approximately 44,000 employees and a turnover of approximately SEK 104 billion (€11,1 billion). Its main products include personal care products (incontinence products, baby nappies and feminine hygiene products), tissue (toilet tissue, kitchen towels, handkerchiefs, napkins etc.), publication papers, solid-wood products and forest-based biofuel. The company's ten largest markets are Germany, United Kingdom, United States, France, Sweden, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Denmark, Australia, Mexico and Belgium. SCA is Europe's largest private owner of forest land, with 2.6 million hectares, the size of Macedonia. (Sweden's largest forest owner is the governmental Sveaskog with 3.3 million hectares, an area slightly larger than Moldova.)
SCA was founded by Ivar Kreuger in 1929 as a holding company for ten Swedish forest industry companies. Following Kreuger's bankruptcy in 1932, the company came to be controlled by the bank Handelsbanken, who along with associated funds and companies continue to control SCA. Axel Gustaf Torbjörn Enström was the managing director from 1950 to 1960 and chairman of the board from 1960 to 1965.
In 1975 SCA acquired Mölnlycke Health Care, a leading western European producer of disposable hygiene products, and in 1990 SCA acquired transport packaging company Reedpack. In 1995 the Germany-based paper and packaging company PWA was acquired. In 2001 the division Wisconsin Tissue of the United States company Georgia-Pacific Tissue was acquired. In 2004 SCA acquired the tissue and hygiene products businesses of Carter Holt Harvey from International Paper.
In 2007 SCA announced it was acquiring the European tissue operations of Procter & Gamble for €512 million. This was agreed by the European Commission in September 2007. SCA will own Tempo, Bess and Bluemia brands plus 5 plants in Europe and Hong Kong, and own European rights to Bounty and Charmin. SCA will need to divest Softis in Germany and Austria.
In 2009 closed its tissue mill in Pratovecchio, Italy, upgraded the energy plant at the liner mill in Aschaffenburg, Germany  and acquired the Argentinian hygiene products brands Calipso, Plissé, Plissé bebé and Master. In December 2009 SCA further invested in personal care products in Russia and in reduced emissions at the Östrand pulp mill, Sweden.
In 2010 SCA initiated a project to close its personal care factory in Linselles, France and divested its Asian packaging operations. In July 2010 SCA bought the Tessy Babies and DryKids baby diaper brands in Mexico and Central America. During the autumn 2010 SCA started the production of TENA incontinence care products and Libero baby diapers in Veniov, Russia  and entered a R&D co-operation with BioGaia. SCA also celebrated 60 years on the NASDAQ OMX.
In 2011 SCA invested EUR 290m in expanded tissue capacity in Russia and Germany as well as the Bollsta sawmill in Sweden. SCA and the Norwegian company Fred.Olsen Renewables have formed a jointly owned company to construct a wind farm in Västernorrland in northern Sweden. SCA has acquired 50 percent of the Turkish hygiene products company Komili from Yıldız Holding with diaper brand Baby Star and feminine care brand Rozi, as well as 95 percent of the Turkish hygiene products company San Saglik with incontinence care brands Glory and Rinacare. SCA also acquired the Brazilian hygiene products company Pro Descart with incontinence care brands BioCare Geriátrica and Biofral, as well as the baby diaper brands BabyFral, BioCare Baby Plus and DryBaby. SCA delivered a binding offer to acquire the European tissue operations of pulp and paper company Georgia-Pacific.
SCA has a series of sustainability targets for both nature and people. Nature targets:
- Code of Conduct 
- Sustainable innovations 
- Employee health & safety 
- Hygiene solutions 
SCA was cited as the best Swedish company for carbon dioxide reporting in the global CDP survey 2010. In 2010 SCA was ranked for the sixth consecutive year as one of the world’s 100 most sustainable companies by business magazine Canadian Corporate Knights. For the fourth consecutive year, SCA was named in 2011 one of the world’s most ethical companies by the Ethisphere Institute in New York, US. SCA has been listed on the FTSE4Good global sustainability index since 2001. SCA is included in the Dow Jones Sustainability Europe Index.
Contrary to its public business principles SCA's top management has been involved in a scandal of serious misuse of corporate resources. The company built a hunting lodge in the Northern part of Sweden worth of 100m SEK (7.7m GBP) according to media estimates. The lodge was used as a venue to entertain potential business partners. The top management also used SCA's private jet to transport family members and even pets to such occasions as a Formula-1 Grand Prix. One time the jet was used empty to bring back a wallet forgotten at the lodge by one management member. 
Products and brands
- Consumer tissue: Cosy, Cushelle, Danke, Deeko, Edet, familia, Favorita, feh, Flen, Handee, Handee ULTRA, Lovly, Lady, Nevax, Orchid, Opción Verde, Plenty, Purex, Regio, Scottis, Sorbent, Tempo, Tessy, Top, Handee TuffMate, Velvet, Viti, Vinda and Zewa
- Away from home tissue: Tork, familia – Productos Tork and Pisa
- Feminine hygiene products: Bodyform, Calipso, Donnasept, Libresse, Libresse Lifestyle, Libra, Nana, Nuvenia, Nosotras, Rozi, Plissé, Saba and Ladyfree
- Baby nappies/diapers and other baby care products: Libero, Drypers Wee Wee DRY, DryKids, Drypers DRYPantz, Hey Baby!, Cuddlers, Plissé Bebé, Libero Peaudouce, Tessy babies, Treasures, Pequeñin, Libero Up&Go, Cushi Tush, BabyFral, BioCare Baby Plus, DryBaby, BabySens and Baby Star
- Incontinence care products: TENA, Glory, Rinacare, BioCare Geriátrica, Biofral and Master
- Recovered papers: LWC paper, SC paper, uncoated offset and newsprint
- Pulp: Star, Celeste and Luna
- Solid-wood products
- Forest-based biofuel and wind power: unrefined fuels (slash, bark, sawdust, peat), refined fuels (pellets under the bionorr pellets brand and briquettes) and wind energy
- "Annual Report 2015". Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget. Retrieved 23 May 2016.
- "Addresses." (Search "Headquarters" and "Sweden"). Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget. Retrieved on November 15, 2013. "Headquarters SVENSKA CELLULOSA AKTIEBOLAGET SCA (publ) Box 200 SE -101 23 STOCKHOLM Sweden Klarabergsviadukten 63"
- "Svenska Cellulosa Aktiebolaget (SCA)". Hoovers. 2008. Retrieved 2008-10-13.
That year Axel Enstrom became the president of SCA and began to consolidate the operations of its subsidiaries, creating a single forest company by 1954.
-  Archived November 18, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- "2008-02-20: SCA increases ownership in Chinese tissue company Vinda - SCA Corporate". Sca.com. 2008-02-20. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "2008-09-05: SCA to invest USD 240 million in Mexico - SCA Corporate". Sca.com. 2008-09-05. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "2008-06-18: SCA divests parts of its UK packaging operations and closes New Hythe mill – focus on value added packaging - SCA Corporate". Sca.com. 2008-06-18. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "2009-03-27: SCA initiates actions to restore competitiveness of its tissue supply chain operations in Italy and France - SCA Corporate". Sca.com. 2009-03-27. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA upgrading energy plant at liner mill in Aschaffenburg, Germany - SCA Corporate". Sca.com. 2009-04-28. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA breaks new ground with hygiene acquisition in Argentina - SCA Corporate". Sca.com. 2009-10-27. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA to further invest in personal care products in Russia". Sca.com. 2009-12-17. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA to invest in increased efficiency and reduced emissions". Sca.com. 2009-12-17. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "2010-03-25: More efficient production structure increases profitability within baby diapers - SCA Corporate". Sca.com. 2010-03-25. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA divests Asian packaging operation". Sca.com. 2010-04-26. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "Baby diapers acquisition strengthens SCA´s presence in Mexico and Central America - SCA Corporate". Sca.com. 2010-07-21. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "New SCA facility to meet Russian demand for hygiene products - SCA Corporate". Sca.com. 2010-09-20. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA enters into R&D cooperation - SCA Corporate". Sca.com. 2010-09-23. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "NASDAQ OMX congratulates SCA on 60 years on the exchange (NASDAQ:NDAQ)". Ir.nasdaq.com. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA investing in expanded capacity for tissue and solid wood products". Sca.com. 2011-04-29. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA and Fred.Olsen wind power joint venture". Sca.com. 2011-05-12. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA acquires 50 percent of Turkish hygiene products company - SCA Corporate". Sca.com. 2011-06-29. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
-  Archived September 7, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "SCA acquires hygiene products company in Brazil - SCA Corporate". Sca.com. 2011-09-01. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA binding offer to acquire European Georgia-Pacific tissue". Sca.com. 2011-11-10. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA divests its packaging operations - SCA Corporate". Sca.com. 2012-01-17. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA´s acquisition of Georgia-Pacific´s European tissue business has been closed". Sca.com. 2012-07-19. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA sustainability target for climate & energy". Sca.com. 2012-03-20. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA sustainability target: Reduce water consumption". Sca.com. 2012-03-14. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA sustainability target - Fibre sourcing & biodiversity". Sca.com. 2013-10-14. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA sustainability target - Code of Conduct compliance". Sca.com. 2014-01-31. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA sustainability target: To deliver sustainable innovations". Sca.com. 2012-01-25. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA sustainability target: Employee health & safety". Sca.com. 2008-10-09. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "Hygiene - SCA's hygiene products & how hygiene matters". SCA. 2013-11-28. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA sustainability awards, ratings and index". Sca.com. 2013-09-13. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
-  Archived October 15, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Parker, Olivia (2014-06-26). "Volvo Ocean Race 2014-15: Team SCA's triumph". The Daily Telegraph. Telegraph Media Group. Retrieved 2015-12-19.
- "Swedish private jet scandal claims seventh scalp". theguardian.com. 2015-02-11. Retrieved 2016-05-17.
- "SCA sells Zewa, Edet, Regio, Tempo consumer tissue". Sca.com. 2014-02-13. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "Away-from-home hygiene solutions & tissue products SCA". Sca.com. 2014-02-13. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA sells Libresse, Saba, Nosotras & Libra tampons, liners and towels". Sca.com. 2012-01-12. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "SCA sells Libero, Pequeñin, Treasures & Drypers baby diapers". Sca.com. 2013-10-04. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "TENA - The no. 1 bladder weakness & incontinence care expert". SCA. 2013-11-28. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "Containerboard - Made from Kraftlinear paper & recycled paper". SCA. 2011-02-25. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
-  Archived June 18, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Pulp - SCA produces chlorine-free, softwood sulphate pulp". SCA. 2008-10-09. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "Solid-wood products - House building, home furnishing and more". SCA. 2013-10-06. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "Forest-based biofuel, peat, pellets & wind power". SCA. 2013-11-18. Retrieved 2014-02-17.
- "Forests - Forest products & forest management at SCA". Sca.com. 2013-10-06. Retrieved 2014-02-17.