Swiss International Scientific School in Dubai
The school hosts more than 1,200 students across over 68 nationalities, and offers a multilingual curriculum in the form of the International Baccalaureate programme for Pre-KG to Grade 11. It includes boarding houses that cater to ages 11-16, offering full-time, weekly, and flexi-boarding options.
SISD was founded by Omar Danial, co-owner of Swiss hotel group Manotel and President and major shareholder of investment company Finial Capital SA. Danial had moved to Dubai in 2010 with his family, and originally intended to found a school for the hospitality industry.
However, upon arrival, Danial found that the overall educational presence of the International Baccalaureate programme in the area was lacking. As many European expatriates were starting to arrive and work in the region, he consulted contacts in the Swiss education field for advice in how to create an educational institution based on the Swiss educational system.
Danial founded the school in 2012 through personal investments, a local bank, and the backing of the prominent Seddiqi family, who are among the co-founders of the school.
SISD is Dubai’s first private school to offer multilingual education in French, English, German and Arabic. The school offers three different study streams: English with additional languages (Arabic and French or German), bilingual English-French, and English-German.
SISD features several facilities that are open to students and boarding house occupants, both during school and after school hours.
The Innovation Labs support STEM education and contain equipment for programming, robotics, app development, 3D printing, and design. There are also music and dance studios, as well as art and design rooms.
The school also provides access to sports facilities such as tennis and basketball courts, an Olympic swimming pool, soccer fields, and a gym.
- Masudi, Faisal. "UAE's own 'Geneva' a hit with international students". Gulf News. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- Coletti, Claudine. "Raising The Bar To Swiss Standards". Forbes Middle East. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "Swiss International Scientific School Dubai opens secondary school campus". Education Journal ME. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "Dubai's first school to offer multilingual education opens on Sunday". Gulf News. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "Exploring Digital Citizenship". Swiss International Scientific School in Dubai. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "Technology Innovation". Swiss International Scientific School in Dubai. Retrieved 28 September 2018.