T. V. Rao
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Dr. T. V. Rao|
|Born||14 March 1946
Andhra Pradesh, India
|Occupation||Professor,management consultant, author, speaker|
T.V. Rao was born on 14 March 1946, in Andhra Pradesh, India. A new Human Resource Development system emerged in India in 1974 with Dr. T.V. Rao and Dr. Udai Pareek heading the movement. It was started as a "Review Exercise of the Performance Appraisal System" for Larsen & Toubro by the duo from the Indian Institutes of Management, Ahmedabad (IIMA) which resulted in the development of a new function - The Human Resources Development Function. Dr. Rao and Dr Udai Pareek were instrumental in setting up the HRD Department for L&T and making it the first company in this part of the world to have fully Dedicated HRD Department.
Dr. Rao is also the founder president of the National HRD Network and the Indian Society for Applied Behavioural Sciences (ISABS). Dr. Rao had worked as a professor at the premier management institute of India - the IIM, Ahmedabad from 1973 - 1994. After leaving the IIMA, he started working for the Academy of Human Resources Development which was set up with support from RMCEI of IIMA. He worked as its Honorary Director for some time. As HRD started growing Larsen & Toubro instituted a HRD Chair Professorship at XLRI, Jamshedpur. Dr. T.V. Rao moved to XLRI as L&T Professor to set up the Centre for HRD. Dr. Rao has also contributed majorly in the field of competency mapping and defines competency mapping as the process of identification of the competencies required to perform successfully at a given point of time.
During the last few years, Dr. Rao has been popularizing the methodology of "Developing Leadership through Feedback by Known People" (DLFKP), which he developed in the mid 1980s at IIMA and worked on it along with Prof. P. N. Khandwalla, J.P. Singh and S. Ramnarayan. This methodology is now termed by other specialists as 360 degree feedback methodology. To popularize this methodology as a development tool, he has started a 360 degree feedback club and has also conducted over 50 workshops in the last five years in India, Thailand, Philippines, Nigeria and Egypt. Currently, he is developing HRD Auditors and Trainers of Development Centers and creating manuals for HRD Audit in an effort to make HRD Audit like ISO certification. The HR Score Card as known today was created by him much before it was published from the US. Dr. Rao is a visiting faculty at IIM Ranchi now.
Dr.T. V. Rao is currently Chairman, of TVRLS, Ahmedabad. He was Professor at the Indian Institute of Management,Ahmedabad for over 20 years beginning 1973. While at IIMA he was Chairman of the Post Graduate Program, Fellow Program, Public Systems Group, Ravi Matthai Centerand also coordinated the PGP review. He left in 1994 to serve as HonoraryDirector of the Academy of Human Resources Development. He set up TVRLS in1996, two years after he left IIMA.
He was a Visiting Professor since then and Adjunct Professor at IIMA since 2006 and until 2014. Currently on the Board of IIMA. Dr.Rao has also worked as L&T Professor of HRD at XLRI, Jamshedpur during 1983-85. Dr. Rao is the Founder and First President of the National HRD Network, and the First Honorary Director of the Academy of HRD,India.He was also President of the Indian Society for Applied Behavioral Science(ISABS). He worked with David McClelland of Harvard University(the initiator of the competency movement) and had joint research projects with him in seventies. Dr. Rao was a Visiting Faculty at the Indian Business School,Hyderabad and as HRD Advisor to the Reserve Bank of India. Dr Rao assisted the Administrative Reforms Commission in reviewing the personnel management practices for civil services, and also served as member of the HRM Review Committee of Nationalised Banks set up by the Ministry of Finance in 2009-2010.
Dr. Rao’s consulting work is in the areas of designing and managing HRD systems of various corporations in India and other Asian countries. He assisted a number of Organizations on various HR themes. Dr.Rao’s consulting experience includes agencies like the USAID, UNESCO, UNIDO, UNICEF,FAO, Commonwealth Secretariat, London; World Bank, Action Aid, Swiss Agency for Development Cooperation, ICOMP etc. and various corporations like Alexandria Carbon Black, Gulfar, CHR Oman, Commercial Bank, Kewalram Chanrai Group,Indorama Synthetics, Thai Carbon Black, etc. and covers countries including the USA, Mexico, UK, Netherlands,Egypt, Nigeria, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia,Thailand, Philippines, Gulf countries, South Africa etc.
The organizations with which Dr. Rao assisted include: SAIL, NTPC, Indian Oil Corporation, HPCL, Bharat Petroleum, NALCO, SBI, Bank of Baroda, Neyveli Lignite,MRL, BEML, Reserve Bank of India; Larsen& Toubro, Voltas, Sundram Fasteners, EID Parry, TI Group, Crompton Greaves,Transpek Industries, BILT, NOCIL, IL&FS, Mahindra and Mahindra, Escorts, Tata Finance, Titan, Taj Group of Hotels, Tata Cummins, KPMG, ICI, Hindustan Levers, Pfizer, Chanrai Group (Nigeria), Indorama, Indonesia, Godfrey Phillips India, Amway, Nestle, Wockhardt, Wyeth, Fulford, Hemas group Sri Lanka, and several of the Tata Group and Aditya Birla Group companies.
Dr. Rao and Dr. Udai Pareek are credited to have established the first dedicated department of Human Resources Development at L&T in mid seventies much before HRD was known and made it popular. Dr.Rao has been working on HRD field for the last forty years. Dr. Rao is the first to start in India Leadership Development methodology in mid-eighties using what is later termed in the USA as 360 Degree Feedback. Dr. Rao’s HRD audit methodology is fist of its kind across the world and he started it and created a HRD Score card abed on the same. Dr. Rao has authored or coauthored or edited over 50 books dealing with HRD, Education Management, Health and Population Management, Entrepreneurship Development etc. Dr. Rao has won several awards for his outstanding contributions to HRD. Most Recent Publication Managers who Make a Difference: New Delhi: IIMA Books, Random House, And October 2010. Hurconomics: for Talent Management: New Delhi: Pearson Education, 2011 Nurturing Institutional Excellence: Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad. (edited by Vijaya Sherry Chand and T. V. Rao), New Delhi: MacMillan India, 2011 100 Managers in Action: New Delhi: Tata McGraw-Hill, 2012
Books by Rao
1. 100 Managers in Action: New Delhi: Tata McGraw-hill, 2012 (with Charu Sharma)
2. Entrepreneurship: A South Asian Perspective by D. F. Kuratko and T. V. Rao: New Delhi: Cengage Learning, 2012
3. Nurturing Excellence: Indian Institute of Management, New Delhi: Macmillan, (Co-authored with Vijaya Sherry Chand, 2011)
4. Managers who Make a Difference: New Delhi: IIMA Book Series, 2010 Random House.
5. Life after 360 Degree Feedback and Assessment and Development Centres; Editors T. V. Rao, Nandini Chawla and S. Ramnarayan): New Delhi: Excel Books, 2010.
6. HR Best Practices; New Delhi: Steel Authority of India (jointly with Nisha Nair, Neharika Vohra, and Atul Srivastava), 2009.
7. HRD Score Card 2500; New Delhi: Sage, Response Books, 2008
8. Hurconomics; New Delhi: Oxford & IBH, 2008 Republished by Pearson Education: New Delhi, 2011..
9. The Power of 360 Degree Feedback; (Jointly with Mr. Raju Rao), New Delhi: Response Books, Sage, 2005. (Won Two awards as best Management book of the Year: DMA and ISTD)
10. The Future of HRD; New Delhi: Macmillan India, 2003
11. HRD in Asia: First Asian Research Conference on HRD; (jointly with Ramnarayan, Udai Pareek, AAhad Usman Gani) Academy of HRD, New Delhi: Oxford and IBH, 2003.
12. HRD Audit; New Delhi, Response Books, Sage Publications, 1999
13. Institutionalization of Innovations in Education; Ahmedabad: Swiss Agency for Development Cooperation & TVRLS, 1999 (With Jaya Indiresan and M G Jomon)
14. Changing Teacher Behaviour through Feedback; Hyderabad: ICFAI, 2006, (With Udai Pareek)
15. Training for Education Managers; New Delhi: Macmillan, 2005 (With Udai Pareek)
16. 360 Degree Feedback and Assessment & Development Centers; (edited by T V Rao and Nandini Chawla) New Delhi: Excel Publications, 2005
17. Performance Planning and Review Manuals; Ahmedabad: TVRLS, 2005
18. HR @ Heart of Business; (edited by TV Rao, A Gangopadhyay, RSS Mani), New Delhi: Excel Publications, 2002.
19. Performance Management and Appraisal Systems; New Delhi: Response Books, 2004
20. 360 Degree Feedback and Performance Management Systems; (Editors T V Rao, Gopal Mahapatra, Raju Rao and Nandini Chawla) Volume 2, Excel Publications: New Delhi 2002.
21. 360 degree Feedback and Performance Management systems Volume 1; (Editors: T V Rao and Raju Rao), Excel Publications: New Delhi, 2000.
22. Organizational Renewal in NGOs: Experiences and Cases; (Co-author with Uma Jain), Hyderabad: Academy of HRD, 1996
23. Organization Development: Interventions and Strategies; (Co edited with S Ramnaryan and Kuldeep Singh), New Delhi: 1998, New Delhi: Response Books
24. Pioneering Human Resources Development: The L&T System; Ahmedabad, Academy of HRD, 1998 (Co-author)
25. Redesigning Performance Appraisal System; 1996, Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi
26. Human Resources Development: Experiences, Interventions Strategies; 1996, Sage Publications, New Delhi
27. Performance Appraisal and Review: Trainers Manual, Operating Manual and Skills Workbook; Learning Systems, New Delhi, 1978
28. Designing and Managing Human Resources Systems; Oxford & IBH Publications, New Delhi, 1981, 1991, 2003 (Co-author) (This book has won ESCORTS award as best management book in 1982)
29. Performance Appraisal: Theory and Practice; AIMA-Vikas Management Series, New Delhi, 1984 (Also translated into Bhasha Indonesia by PPM, Jakarta).
30. Recent Experiences in Human Resources Development; Oxford and IBH, New Delhi (edited by T.V. Rao and D.F. Pereira)
31. Alternative Approaches and Strategies of HRD; (edited by T.V. Rao, K.K. Verma, E. Abraham and A. Khandelwal), Rawat Publications, Jaipur, 1987
32. Excellence Through Human Resource Development; (editors M.R.R. Nair and T.V. Rao), New Delhi, Tata McGraw Hill, 1990
33. Designing Entrepreneurial Skills Development Programmes; London, Commonwealth Secretariat, 1990 (co-author)
34. The HRD Missionary; New Delhi, Oxford and IBH, 1990 (Second edition: 2009 TVRLS)
35. Readings in HRD; New Delhi, Oxford and IBH, 1991
36. Career Planning and Promotion Policies; Ahmedabad, Academy of HRD, 1982 (co-author)
37. Appraising & Developing Managerial Performance; AHRD Publication, 1996, reprinted at New Delhi: Excel Books, 1999
38. Institution Building in Education and Research: From Stagnation to Self-Renewal; (Eds. R.J. Matthai, Udai Pareek and T.V. Rao), All Indian Management Association, New Delhi, 1977
39. Adult Education for Social Change; Manohar Publications, New Delhi, 1980 (co-author)
40. Handbook for Trainers in Educational Management with special reference to Asia and Pacific; UNESCO, Bangkok (Co-author) 1981
41. Management Processes in Universities; New Delhi: Oxford & IBH (PSG Monograph 1, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad 1978, co-author with R.J. Matthai and Udai Pareek)
42. Behavioural Sciences Research in Family Planning; Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 1974 (co-author)
43. Doctors in Making; Sahitya Mudranalaya, Ahmedabad, 1976
44. Managing Family Planning Clinics; Asian and Pacific Development Administration Centre, Kaula Lumpur, Malaysia, 1977 (co-author)
45. Change Agents in Family Welfare: An Action Research in Organized Industry; Academic Book Centre, Ahmedabad, 1978 (co-author with Pramod Verma
46. Developing Entrepreneurship: A Handbook for Policy Makers, Entrepreneurs, Trainers and Development Personnel; Learning Systems, New Delhi, 1978 (co-author)
47. Identification and selection of Entrepreneurs; (Eds. T.V. Rao and T.K. Moulik), Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad, 1979
48. Developing Motivation Through Experiencing; Oxford and IBH Publications, 1982 (co-author with Udai Pareek)
49. Entrepreneurial Skill Development Programmes in Fifteen Commonwealth Countries: An Overview; Commonwealth Secretariat, London, 1991
50. Handbook of Psychological and Instruments; Samasthi Publications, Baroda, 1974 (co-author)
51. Stewart Maturity Scale: Indian Adaptation; Manasayan, New Delhi, 1976
52. Sales Styles Diagnosis Exercises; Learning Systems, New Delhi, 1976
53. Behaviour Processes in Organizations; Oxford and IBH Publications, New Delhi, 1981 (Co-author with Udai Pareek and D M Pestonjee)
54. Measuring and Managing Organizational Climate; Ahmadabad: Academy of HRD, 1996 (With Dalpat Sarupriya and Dr. Sethumadhavan)
55. Selected Readings in HRD; New Delhi: Tata McGraw Hill, 1998 ( with Singh, Kuldeep & Nair, Baburaj)
56. HRD Philosophies and Concepts: The Indian Perspective; Ahmedabad: Academy of HRD, 1994 (with Abraham, E & Nair, Baburaj V. Eds.)
57. HRD in the New economic Environment; New Delhi: Tata McGraw Hill, 1994 (co-edited with Silveira, D. M., Srivastava, C. M. and Vidyasagar, Rajesh)