This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
T34 Calliope in France
|Type||Tank-mounted rocket launcher (Rocket-Artillery Tank)|
|Place of origin||United States|
|Wars||World War II|
|60 × 4.5 in (114 mm) rockets (T34),
64 × 4.5 in (114 mm) rockets (T34E1),
The Rocket Launcher T34 (Calliope) was a tank-mounted multiple rocket launcher used by the United States Army during World War II. The launcher was placed atop the M4 Sherman, with its prominent vertical side frames anchored to the turret's sides, and fired a barrage of 4.5 in (114 mm) M8 rockets from 60 launch tubes. It was developed in 1943; small numbers were produced and were used by various US armor units in 1944–45. It adopts its name from the musical instrument "Calliope", also known as the steam organ, which had similar parallel or clustered pipes, and which had historically existed on steamboats of the Mississippi River in the United States, or as is more commonly known and associated with traditional "circus music".
- Rocket Launcher T34 (Calliope) – Version carrying 60 4.5 in (114 mm) rockets in arrangement of a group of 36 tubes on the top, and a pair jettisonable groups of 12 tubes (24 tubes of jettisonable groups) on the bottom (Not jettisonable from M4A1 Sherman variant).
- Rocket Launcher T34E1 (Calliope) – Same as T34 but groups of 12 jettisonable tubes replaced by groups of 14 tubes.
- Rocket Launcher T34E2 (Calliope) – Caliber of rockets increased from 4.5 in (114 mm) to 7.2 in (183 mm), number of tubes remains at 60. Saw combat in 1944–1945.
- T40 Whizbang – a similar turret-mount MRL launcher for the Sherman, with larger calibre (183 mm) projectiles.
- Matilda "Hedgehog" – Australian armoured fighting vehicle using spigot mortars.
- Sherman Tulip – British Sherman with two "60 lb" 3-inch rockets mounted on turret.
- Mattress – British multiple 3-inch rocket launcher used by Canadian troops
- Katyusha – Soviet truck-mounted rocket launcher
- Panzerwerfer – German 15 cm Nebelwerfer barrage rocket system, on an armored half-track or its likely replacement
- List of U.S. Army Rocket Launchers By Model Number
- Hunting, David. The New Weapons of the World Encyclopedia. New York City: Diagram Visual Information Ltd., 2007. ISBN 0-312-36832-1
|This artillery-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This United States Army article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This military vehicle article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|