TELE Greenland A/S
TELE Greenland A/S or TELE Greenland Group (formerly Greenland Technical Organization) is a Greenlandic telecommunications company dating back to 1879. TELE Greenland is the largest telecommunications company in Greenland. The company's headquarters are located in Nuuk.
The company is divided into three business areas: Postal service, Commercial and Technology and IT TELE-POST is the collective name for the three business units.
- TELE Greenland runs telecommunications activities according to a concession granted by the Greenland Home Rule.
- POST Greenland runs the Greenland postal service pursuant to parliamentary regulations on postal services.
- TELE-POST Coastal Radio Service handles maritime safety and emergency communications, along with commercial communications for shipping.
The subsidiary TELE Greenland International A/S with headquarters in Albertslund, Denmark provides telecom operator services including VSAT services, equipment maintenance for customers and telehousing.
TELE Greenland A/S was created in 1997, by the merging of TELE Greenland and Kalaallit Allakkeriviat (Greenland Postal Service). After the merger, Kalaallit Allakkeriviat became a business unit and was renamed as POST Greenland. The common designation "TELE-POST" for both business came into being.
TELE Greenland announced in July 2013 a partnership with Nokia Siemens Networks to build a 4G network in Nuuk. The service launched 1 December 2013. Sisimiut was the second town to get 4G, it was launched on 28 March 2014. Later in 2014 the 4G network launched in Ilulissat, Kangerlussuaq and Qaqortoq. The 4G network was expanded to Maniitsoq in February 2015, and to Aasiaat in June the same year.
In November 2017 TELE-POST announced a partnership with Ericsson to modernise the entire mobile network in Greenland, as part of Tele Greenland's "Mobile First" strategy of bringing 4G high-speed internet to every city, town and settlement in Greenland.
TELE-POST provides internet connections to towns and settlements using three different technologies: underwater sea cable (zone 1), radio chains (zone 2), and via satellite (zone 3).
Places in zone 1 are landing points for the Greenland Connect and Greenland Connect North submarine cables. In 2016 it was decided to deploy an extension to the Greenland Connect cable, called Greenland Connect North - as well as upgrading the existing cable. Products based on these upgrades launched on 11 December 2017, and introduced 30 Mbit/s as the top speed.
TELE-POST operates several radio chains. The main chain is approx. 1500 km long and consists of 48 radio chain stations. The radio chain is connected to the Greenland Connect and Connect North cables. The radio chain provides telephony, internet, radio and television.
In 2016 it was announced the radio chain would be upgraded and expanded, enabling faster internet speeds as well as moving several towns and settlements from zone 3 to zone 2. This work is expected to be completed in 2018.
Current internet tiers
Sea cable and radio chain
|Download speed||Upload speed||Included data|
|2 Mbit/s||1 Mbit/s||Unlimited|
|10 Mbit/s||2 Mbit/s||Unlimited|
|30 Mbit/s||2 Mbit/s||Unlimited|
Zone 3 - Satelllite
|Download speed||Upload speed||Included data|
|2 Mbit/s||0.2 Mbit/s||9 GB|
|4 Mbit/s||0.7 Mbit/s||20 GB|
- Internet Top Level Domain for Greenland .gl
- "Mobilt bredbånd – 3G til på vej til Nuuk". Sermitsiaq. 27 August 2009. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "Tele klar med 4G i Nuuk inden årsskiftet". Sermitsiaq. 12 July 2013. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "Endelig: 4G kommer til Nuuk". Sermitsiaq. 27 November 2013. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "4G kommer til Sisimiut". Sermitsiaq. 24 March 2014. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "Landets hurtigste internet rykker mod nord". 12 November 2014. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "Grønlands hurtigste internet kommer nu til…". Sermitsiaq. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "Flere mobilkunder får hurtigere internet". Sermitsiaq. 5 February 2015. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "4G kommer til Aasiaat". Sermitsiaq. 19 June 2015. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "Mobilnetværket skal gennem større moderniseringsproces". Sermitsiaq. 3 November 2017. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "Det nye zonekoncept". Tele-Post. Retrieved 5 November 2017.
- "Søkabel forlænges mod nord". 15 April 2016. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "Hurtigere internet til 80% af landet". TELE-POST. Retrieved 11 December 2017.
- "Tele vil kickstarte landet med internet-motorvej". KNR. 15 April 2016. Retrieved 5 November 2017.
- "Stærkere radiokæde". Tele-Post. Retrieved 5 November 2017.
- "Tele Greenland switches to Intelsat 35e". telecompaper. 4 September 2017. Retrieved 5 November 2017.
- "Internet". Tele-Post. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "Tusass". Tusass. Retrieved 11 December 2017.