|Founder||Zhao Jianjun and Zhao Jiaxing|
|Headquarters||Shenzhen, Guangdong, China|
|Products||Computer networking devices|
|Revenue||$1.9 Billion (2013) |
Number of employees
|21,849 Worldwide (as of Dec，2013)|
TP-LINK Technologies Co., Ltd. (Chinese: 普联技术), stylized, trademarked and marketed as TP-LINK, is a Chinese manufacturer of computer networking products based in Shenzhen, Guangdong province, China. TP-LINK is the largest Small Office and Home Office (SOHO) networking market share holder in China. TP-LINK was the leader in global shipments of wireless LAN products as of the first quarter of 2013.
TP-LINK was founded in 1996 by two brothers, Zhao Jianjun (Cliff Chao) and Zhao Jiaxing (Jeffrey Chao), with a network card they had developed. The company name was based on the concept of “twisted pair link”, a kind of electromagnetic cabling.
TP-LINK sells through multiple sales channels globally, including traditional retailers, online retailers, wholesale distributors, direct market resellers (“DMRs”), value-added resellers (“VARs”) and broadband service providers. Its main competition includes companies such as NETGEAR, Belkin, Linksys, D-Link and Asus.
TP-LINK began its first international expansion in 2005. In 2007, the company moved into its new 100,000 square meters headquarters and facilities at Shenzhen’s Hi-Tech Industry Park. TP-LINK USA was established in 2008.
Since entering the international market in 2005, TP-Link products have been deployed in over 120 countries. In the first quarter of 2013, TP-Link was the largest market share holder in the world for WLAN equipment with a 42.2% global market share.
TP-LINK products include wireless networking, portable routers, 3G/4G routers, switches, routers, HomePlug Powerline adapters, IP cameras and print servers.
- Wireless technology
- TP-LINK markets a range of wireless networking products, including the Archer line of dual-band wireless routers using the new “802.11ac” wireless standard, along with other dual-band wireless routers using the 802.11n wireless standard.
- Portable routers
- TP-LINK’s line of portable “travel” routers are smaller in size than typical home devices, targeting business travelers or families that travel and need to share one Internet connection in a hotel for multiple devices.
- 3G/4G routers share Internet connections deriving from modems accessing various wireless broadband technology standards such as LTE, HSPA+/HSUPA/HSDPA, UMTS, and EVDO.
- TP-LINK markets a range of L2 gigabit managed switches under the “JetStream” brand along with “smart” switches and unmanaged switches.
- TP-LINK markets VPN routers under the “SafeStream” brand along with load balance broadband routers.
- TP-LINK sells a range of adapters and starter kits using the HomePlug Powerline Alliance networking standard.
TP-LINK is one of the few major wireless networking companies to manufacture its products in-house as opposed to outsourcing to “ODMs” (original design manufacturers). The company claims this control over components and the supply chain is a key competitive differentiator.
- "About TP-LINK - Welcome to TP-LINK". Tp-link.com. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "TP-LINK Continues To Dominate WLAN Market Share". Mobilitytechzone.com. 2013-08-09. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- TP-LINK ranked 32nd on an annual ranking by Computer Partner magazine of the top 100 IT suppliers in China, and No.1 in SOHO networking companies.
- "Network-gear firm TP-Link thinks big in US market|Across Americas|chinadaily.com.cn". Usa.chinadaily.com.cn. 2013-04-05. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- Richard Xu (2013-09-15). "Richard Xu, Vice President - TP-Link". Businessinterviews.com. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "About TP-LINK - Welcome to TP-LINK". Tp-link.us. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- Lynn, Samara. "TP-Link 150 Mbps Wireless N Nano Router TL-WR702N Review & Rating". PCMag.com. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "TP-LINK Gigabit Jetstream 24-Port Switches Introduced | News, Manufacturer News, TP-LINK Gigabit Jetstream 24-Port Switches IntroducedTP-LINK Gigabit Jetstream 24-Port Switches Introduced". Archive.benchmarkreviews.com. 2013-04-23. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "TP-LINK TL-ER6020 SafeStream Gigabit Dual-WAN VPN Router Reviewed". SmallNetBuilder. 2013-01-03. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- "Networking News". CRN. Retrieved 2014-03-07.