Tai Koo Station
|MTR rapid transit station|
|Location||King's Road, Quarry Bay
Eastern District, Hong Kong
|Operated by||MTR Corporation|
|Platforms||2 (island platform)|
|Connections||Bus, public light bus, tram|
Tai Koo (Chinese: 太古) is a station on the Island Line of the Hong Kong MTR system. The station is located in Kornhill, Quarry Bay on Hong Kong Island and serves the area of Kornhill, including Kornhill Gardens, and Taikoo Shing. Tai Koo has a unique colour scheme; its livery is crimson. Tai Koo station is one of the busiest stations in the system.
The Island Line opening ceremony was held in this station in May 1985 and was officiated by then-MTR chairman Sir Wilfrid Newton and Governor of Hong Kong Sir Edward Youde, who unveiled the commemorative plaques at the concourse level. The station is built in what was, at the time of its construction, the largest man-made cavern in Asia.
|Line||Destination||First train||Last train|
|Island Line||Chai Wan||06:22||01:13|
Tai Koo adheres to the general layout of most MTR stations. At ground level, there are numerous alphanumerically-named entrances and exits.
Platforms 1 and 2 are arranged in the simple island platform layout. Unlike most of the other underground stations on the Island Line, Tai Koo does not have separate tubes for each track and platform as the station was built in the cut and cover method. This means that although there are escalators and stairs in the middle of the platform, it has an open design and the platforms are not separated. Each platform is equipped with platform screen doors for safety and ventilation reasons.
|Concourse||customer service, MTRShops|
|vending machines, ATM|
|Octopus promotion machine|
|Platform 1||Island Line towards Chai Wan (Sai Wan Ho) →|
|Platform 2||← Island Line towards Kennedy Town (Quarry Bay)|
There are five groups of entrances and exits at Tai Koo station labeled A to E. In certain circumstances, there are subsets of these exit groups; these are marked with numbers.
- A: at the northeast corner of King's Road and Kornhill Road
- B: opposite the intersection of King's Road and Kornhill Road, for Kornhill blocks N-R
- C: between Kornhill Road and Hong On Street, for Kornhill blocks A-M and Kornhill Plaza South
- D: between King's Road and Taikoo Shing Road
- D1: for Cityplaza, One Island East and East Hong Kong
- D2: for Cityplaza
- E: at northeastern corner of Kornhill Gardens at King's Road
- E1: for Cityplaza
- E2: for Kornhill Gardens blocks 5-6
- E3: for Kornhill Gardens blocks 7-10
- To Kornhill
- 33M (at exit B or C)
- To Mount Parker Lodge
- 32A (at exit B, E2 or E3)
- To Nam Fung Sun Chuen
- 32 (at exit B)
- To Tsz Wan Shan (Central)
- 116 (at exit B)
- Forsyth, Neil, dir. Underground Pride. Mass Transit Railway Corporation, 1990. Film. 21 Nov 2013. Watch on YouTube.
- "Tai Koo Station timetable" (PDF). MTR Corporation. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- "Tai Koo Station layout" (PDF). MTR Corporation. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
- "Tai Koo Station street map" (PDF). MTR Corporation. Retrieved 31 July 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tai Koo Station.|