Talk:Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings article.|
|Archives: 1, 2|
|Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings is a featured article; it (or a previous version of it) has been identified as one of the best articles produced by the Wikipedia community. Even so, if you can update or improve it, please do so.|
|Current status: Featured article|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
- 1 Extra Space
- 2 'Burning Oil' my left foot! =
- 3 Compatability problems and 'burning oil'
- 4 Idle Unit Button?
- 5 Release date
- 6 AOE 2 Civilisations.
- 7 Campagin Summary
- 8 Characters
- 9 Compatibility Problems section, keep or not? Give opinions please.
- 10 Aztec and Mayan architectural set.
- 11 elite unit
- 12 Population limit
- 13 Gameplay Reference to a civilization only in the Conquerors.
- 14 "Forgotten Empires" Addon
- 15 Not keen on the whole Sequels section
- 16 This article may not meet the FA criteria
- 17 Discussion about merging with Age of Empires II HD
- 18 Mac OS release date
- 19 New redirect (for now) for the soon to be new expansion article
'Burning Oil' my left foot! =
This is in the article: "Towers are equipped with the ability to fire arrows and drop burning oil on unfriendly units, and are often used in conjunction with the wall in defense mechanisms."
Compatability problems and 'burning oil'
The 'toxic grass' and the graphic issues with grass, trees and water is very common on most PCs, regardless of operating system. It sometimes occurs if you play on an older system or if the graphic drivers are not installed or outdated ones are installed. It can also occur if you are overclocking your CPU and the overclock is unstable. To fix this, all you need to do is press ALT-TAB on windows computers to switch back and forth then this problem will be solved.
That is incorrect information as this trick does not work consistently under Vista and not at all under Windows 7. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 22.214.171.124 (talk) 21:17, 4 August 2009 (UTC)
Seems like someone is unable to use google but is very happy to deface wikipedia articles. Let me google that for you: http://www.google.com/search?q=age+of+empires+toxic+grass —Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk) 18:55, 6 August 2009 (UTC)
As for the 'burning oil' from the towers, some towers if the units get too close to the tower for it to attack, you can research a technology (I think at the university building) that will allow the towers to attack units even if they are at the base of the tower by dumping hot black tar or oil over the units causing damage to them. 188.8.131.52 (talk) 14:37, 25 March 2009 (UTC)
Idle Unit Button?
AOE 2 Civilisations.
If I have one problem, there's no civilisations. There's no table showing the four types of civilisations at all so it's hard to know the kinds that are available when someone decides to play this game. I'll be happy if someone resolves my concern because there's a puzzle that seriously needs to be solved. Its not hard but at least it's not to dull or boring to read this article. Johnnyauau2000 (talk) 14:21, 28 June 2009 (UTC)
- Civilisation lists/tables are not needed in wikipedia articles, see the WP:VGSCOPE guidelines. They are already adequately summed up in prose in the gameplay section. QueenCake (talk) 14:55, 28 June 2009 (UTC)
- In that case, will anyone do the same with AOE 2 Expansion Pack? The other page still has it. Sometimes, the rules will go as far as make the article as generic as possible. Johnnyauau2000 (talk) 03:53, 30 June 2009 (UTC)
- Should we at least make mention to the fact that there are four different types of civs? Gloryify (talk) 09:56, 23 July 2009 (UTC)
- I disagree. The Conquerors expansion lists the civilizations and links to them without further elucidation, and I think it is OK to list the names of the civs here. I do agree that they should not be expanded upon, other than links to the wikipedia articles of those civilizations themselves. This article mentions "the civilizations" several times within the article, but the User never gets a list of which civs they are? I will add them. // Mark Renier (talk) 06:26, 4 September 2009 (UTC)
Compatibility Problems section, keep or not? Give opinions please.
http://www.google.com/search?q=age+of+empires+%22toxic+grass%22&hl=en&start=80&sa=N Google has 51 results when I check for Age of Empire and "toxic grass". The game was released before Vista existed(before XP was even out even), and Windows 7 isn't even out yet! Is listing its problems for those two operating systems necessary? Don't most old games have trouble running on Vista, unless you select the option to run them in Windows XP mode? And why mention there is no patch from Microsoft yet? A game that was released 10 years ago, isn't going to get a patch, no one expecting that. Everyone please give your opinion. Should the section called Compatibility Problems be kept? Dream Focus 19:10, 6 August 2009 (UTC)
- Defiantly not needed, as was noted the game is a decade old hence the problems are to be expected. The google results seem to be mainly forum posts from users asking about the problem, no results from any reliable source, my feeling is this is just a minor issue by the few users who still play the game. Delete QueenCake (talk) 20:15, 11 August 2009 (UTC)
- Definitely needed - it's an issue with this game for these two operating systems.Otherwise please provide a link to a patch or a fix for the issue. Just because you cannot use google obviously (by using different search terms you easily get 1mm hits for the problem), this problem doesn't go away! SO STOP DEFACING THE ARTICLE OR PROVIDE A FIX FOR THIS ISSUE!!!!!! —Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk) 20:21, 17 August 2009 (UTC)
I agree with the OP that this should be included. Asking for "reliable sources" or "official sources" is ridiculous. Looking through online forums, it is clear that this is a widespread issue that seems to affect everyone running the game on Vista and Windows 7. I doubt that MS is going to post on the website for the game that it does not run properly under these operating systems. Even if the OP is posting this issue because he is experiencing the issue (highly likely IMO), it appears to me that the others don't even have the game or run it under Vista/Windows 7. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 220.127.116.11 (talk) 01:59, 18 August 2009 (UTC)
- Non-notable issue. As pointed out above, it's an old game and it's expected that it has problems to run in newest operative systems. Also, no sources. --Enric Naval (talk) 20:39, 26 August 2009 (UTC)
- The OP is not saying that the section should be included. He is asking for opinions, read his comment again. --Enric Naval (talk) 07:48, 28 August 2009 (UTC)
- The only two that seem to want it, are similar IP addresses, both with almost no edits among them other than trying to put back in the same material into this article. One of them has been blocked for three months do to their constant adding of information everyone else keeps reverting. Dream Focus 11:54, 28 August 2009 (UTC)
- The other IP address has now been blocked as well, for obviously being the same person. Dream Focus 18:04, 28 August 2009 (UTC)
Aztec and Mayan architectural set.
New World is official name of new architectural style, NOT Central American, South American, or Mesoamerican...
Do not believe? See: http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/screenshots/gs/feature_previews/age2_aztecs/age2_aztecs_790screen002.jpg http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/ageofempires2thece/images/0/54/?tag=thumbs_below;thumb;54
It said that the smallest population limit is 75. In Age of Conquerors it is 25, and as it is an expansion pack to the Age of Kings, I assume the same applies for the Age of Kings. So I changed it from 75 to 25. —Preceding unsigned comment added by 18.104.22.168 (talk) 00:04, 30 August 2010 (UTC) I'm changing it back. This is about the Age of Kings, and not the Conquerors.McBenjamin (talk) 17:01, 20 November 2012 (UTC)
Gameplay Reference to a civilization only in the Conquerors.
When I was reading this article, a sentence read, "The population capacity, which can be capped at anywhere between 75-200, is based on the number of houses, Castles, or Town centers-the main building in a player's town-which have been built (except for the nomadic Huns who don't require houses.)" I removed the "(except for the nomadic Huns who don't require houses)" twice because this is about the Age of Kings, not the Conquerors. McBenjamin (talk) 03:53, 23 November 2012 (UTC)
"Forgotten Empires" Addon
This new freeware addon needs to be mentioned in the article, as it expands the game just as significantly as "Conquerors" did before. I also would restructure the article, giving each game/addon a different paragraph and headline (AoEII, Conquerors, Forgotten Empires, ...). See here - http://www.forgottenempires.net/ -- Alexey Topol (talk) 08:20, 2 May 2013 (UTC)
Not keen on the whole Sequels section
The whole section doesn't really pertain to AOE2 itself. May I suggest it be replaced with a "Releases" section discussion the expansion packs, ports and complete collections instead? --Lenin and McCarthy | (Complain here) 02:13, 15 December 2013 (UTC)
This article may not meet the FA criteria
Hi, I'm just letting readers and possible past contributors know; this article may be nominated for an FAR before too long. Among the problems I have found with the article and placed on WP:VG:
"Gameplay overly long and divided into too many subsections; too many short paragraphs in Development and Sequels; intro a little too detailed (e.g. does it really need to list all 13 civilizations?); Reception a little long (perhaps a Legacy subsection is in order); some awkward wording and sentence structure" Tezero (talk) 19:59, 16 February 2014 (UTC)
Discussion about merging with Age of Empires II HD
I'm opening discussion on merging Age of Empires II HD into this article. Due to a lack of distinct information and there being very few changes between the HD and the original version. There are some reviews for an adequate reception section but there is nothing to write about development or design. I don't think a reception section is enough to warrant a separate article. The1337gamer (talk) 21:51, 3 March 2015 (UTC)
- Yeah, there's really nothing different between the expansion pack and the actual game, and the Hd article really isn't an article. It would make total sense to just make a small section for it in the main article. Possibly put it in the Development or Sequel section? To me that's the only problem we're facing here: where are we going to merge it? Thatguytestw 19:11, 11 March 2015 (UTC)
- Actually, now that I think about it, this is a FEATURED ARTICLE we're dealing with here. We'll/you'll need to be extremely careful to make sure that the new section looks featured-article worthy. Thatguytestw 19:16, 11 March 2015 (UTC) — Preceding unsigned comment added by Thatguytestw (talk • contribs)
Mac OS release date
According to an old Macworld article, the Mac OS version was in beta in 2001 and the porter's website says it hit final by November 1, 2001, so how could it have been released in 1999? -Logan (talk) 01:48, 29 April 2015 (UTC)
New redirect (for now) for the soon to be new expansion article
As new details and a tease was released for The African Kingdoms expansion, I decided to make a redirect of it to this article, as a redirect for now, until even more details are released so we can begin working on that article as a whole. The redirect is Age of Empires II: The African Kingdoms. As its slated for a fall release, we can expect to be able to work on this article sometime in the coming months. —Mythdon 20:16, 24 June 2015 (UTC)