|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Thanks for merging the two articles on André Franquin last night, Zoe! Sorry that I didn't do it myself, but I had to go to bed. :) I do have one quibble with what you did, though. Why put him at Andre Franquin, rather than at André Franquin?
I had a similar dilemma recently about whether to put the singer Sinéad O'Connor at Sinead O'Connor or at Sinéad O'Connor, but was convinced that the former was better as she comes from a predominantly English-speaking country, where most people spell her name without the accent. However, this is not the case for Franquin, who comes from a largely French-speaking country. I know that we are supposed to transliterate names into the Roman alphabet, but the official Wikipedia page on anglicisation says that "[l]anguages like Spanish or French should need no transliteration". I know of no offline encyclopaedia that has a policy of removing accents from French language names, so I don't think we should here. Don't you agree? :) -- Oliver Pereira (originally written on Sun 10 Nov 2002)
- I know this comment was made seven years ago, but I'd like to point that she's from [[Republic of Ireland|Ireland]. Yes, it is primarily English speaking, but Gaelic is also an official language. Also, many Irish people with accents in their names keep the accents in their name. Saying "most people spell [their] names without the accents" is completely wrong. Thanks ~ TheSun (talk) 13:53, 30 April 2009 (UTC) ~
- Okay, you haven't objected, so I take it you're happy with my arguments. :) I'm moving his entry to André Franquin. Anyone wishing to debate this point, please add your arguments below. I'm also having second thoughts about where Sinéad O'Connor should be, so if anyone wishes to discuss this point, please add to the Talk page for her. Thanks! -- Oliver Pereira (Mon 11 Nov 2002)
Warning: Note that there is some disagreement about the date of Franquin's death. In this article, the date is given as "January 5, 1997", which seems to be the date given on most websites. However, this chronology of Franquin's life and work, which is part of what claims to be the Official site of Gaston Lagaffe (one of Franquin's creations), gives his date of death as "January 4, 1997". I'm calling attention to the discrepancy here in the hope that some dedicated researcher will be able to clear up the matter by finding a definitive date in a more reliable source than some random webpage! -- Oliver Pereira
- According to the "Dictionnaire mondial de la bandes dessinée, Larousse (ed.)", one of the best references available, the date of Franquin's death is in fact January 5th 1997. I have also checked in a few January 1997 newspapers and...yes Franquin died in southern France (Saint-Laurent du Var) on Jan 5th. Part of the confusion may stem from the fact the he had a heart attack on the night from the 4th to the 5th. He was transported to a clinic where he died on the 5th.
- I guess that pretty much settles it : the Wikipedia article is correct and that "official" Gaston web page is off by one day ;-) -- sarch
Largely French speaking
Please note that 60% of the Belgians are Flemish and speak therefor Dutch (of Flemish, the Dutch dailect). The remainder speaks largely French and a small minority German.
Should the cleanup tag be removed now? David t 19:17, 26 October 2005 (UTC)
- Since there doesn't seem to be any objections, I have gone ahead & removed the cleanup tag. David t 06:25, 27 October 2005 (UTC)
WikiProject Comics B-Class Assesment required
This article needs the B-Class checklist filled in to remain a B-Class article for the Comics WikiProject. If the checklist is not filled in by 7th August this article will be re-assessed as C-Class. The checklist should be filled out referencing the guidance given at Wikipedia:Version 1.0 Editorial Team/Assessment/B-Class criteria. For further details please contact the Comics WikiProject. Hiding T 15:17, 31 July 2008 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on André Franquin. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20081117130925/http://www.dupuis.com/servlet/jpecat?pgm=VIEW_AUTHOR&lang=UK&AUTEUR_ID=85 to http://www.dupuis.com/servlet/jpecat?pgm=VIEW_AUTHOR&lang=UK&AUTEUR_ID=85
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20150118221449/http://www.2dgalleries.com/artist/andre-franquin-3670?order=10 to http://www.2dgalleries.com/artist/andre-franquin-3670?order=10
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.