|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Breed standard article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|WikiProject Agriculture||(Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)|
Proposed merging sections of this article to another page
Ok here's my dilema. I'm working on articles that reference various pigeon breeds. In these articles I will be refering to a Breed standard and require an internal link so viewers of the article can understand what I mean by a "standard". Trouble is the internal link I've been using links to this article which goes on to reference "Dogs". It starts off just how I need it to i.e. "A breed standard (also called bench standard) in animal fancy and animal husbandry is a set of guidelines which is used to insure that the animals produced by a breeding facility conform to the specifics of the breed. It is also used in competition to judge a given animal against the hypothetical ideal specimen of that breed." but then it goes completely over to discussing the term and how it relates to dogs. This is unfortunate because there are so many other "breeds" of animals besides dogs. (pigeons for example) and many a Breed article will no doubt need to refer to a Standard. I propose that sections of this Breed Standard page be merged to a page such as Breed standard (Dogs) and then the dog info on this page can be changed to refer to any/all domesticated animals so that editors working on breed articles can refer to it please. Sting_au | Talk 20:56, 11 November 2007 (UTC)
- Sting_au: Sorry I've just seen the note you left at my talk page now. Your concern is valid and I agree in theory; had to do the same thing at breed registry, as I recall. The solution there was to make one large article with sections for different domestic species.
- My only problem here is that I think you should have moved this talk page as well. Now the discussion, which most centres on dogs, is divorced from the new talk page at Breed standard (Dogs). Otherwise, I think you've done right.
- Regards, Quill (talk) 22:11, 6 January 2008 (UTC)
- This works for me. Quill (talk) 22:52, 18 January 2008 (UTC)
The comment(s) below were originally left at several discussions in past years, these subpages are now deprecated. The comments may be irrelevant or outdated; if so, please feel free to remove this section., and are posted here for posterity. Following
|==Proposed change of use of page== The page is referenceing breed standards for Dogs. This article page would be better served as a reference page to explain what a breed standard is as it pertains to all domesticated animal breeds. The dog references should be redirected to a Breed standard (Dogs) page. Sting_au|
Substituted at 21:13, 19 March 2016 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified 2 external links on Breed standard. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20090415004027/http://www.alpacas-4-sale.com:80/breed_standard.htm to http://www.alpacas-4-sale.com/breed_standard.htm
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20090203171334/http://highlandcattle.org.au:80/standard.htm to http://www.highlandcattle.org.au/standard.htm
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.