Talk:Cearl of Mercia
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Ceorl and Penda
David Nash Ford (http://www.earlybritishkingdoms.com/adversaries/bios/penda.html) states that Ceorl was Penda's cousin. Brian Tompsett (http://www3.dcs.hull.ac.uk/cgi-bin/gedlkup/n=royal?royal07005) states that Ceorl was a kinsman of Pybba. Britannia.com (http://www.britannia.com/history/monarchs/mercia.html) states that Ceorl was a kinsman of Creoda. All three of these sites are expressing the same idea in a different way: he was an Icling (contrary to this article's statement that nothing is known of his ancestry). (I know original research is verboten, but I reckon the most plausible solution, given the way succession seemed to work at the time, is that Ceorl/Cearl was a brother of Pybba.) Where have they all got this information from? 18.104.22.168 14:18, 13 September 2005 (UTC)
- They guessed. It's not actually recorded in any of the sources what their relationship was (if any). Everyking 18:56, 13 September 2005 (UTC)
- OK, well Henry of Huntingdon, who wrote centuries later, calls him a "kinsman" of Pybba. Presumably he too was guessing, but that seems like a notable thing to mention, so I added it. Everyking 03:58, 16 September 2005 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Cearl of Mercia. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20110110054848/http://www.mun.ca/mst/heroicage/issues/2/ha2pen.htm to http://www.mun.ca/mst/heroicage/issues/2/ha2pen.htm
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.