Talk:Charles Sreeve Peterson
|A fact from Charles Sreeve Peterson appeared on Wikipedia's Main Page in the Did you know? column on 29 April 2007. The text of the entry was as follows: "Did you know
Spelling of Middle Name - Sreeve or Shreeve
I am new to Wikipedia and edited this page to change the spelling of the middle name from Shreeve to Sreeve. I had a member contact me that I should have discussed this on a talk page before I did so. I apologize if I did not follow the right procedure. I would like to clarify why I changed the spelling.
Charles Sreeve Peterson was my great, great grandfather. My great grandfather was Charles' last son, Sreeve Peterson, who I knew before he died in 1976. My grandfather is Robert Sreeve Peterson and my brother is Benjamin Sreeve Peterson. The name has been handed down for 4 generations and I am fairly confident it was originally spelled Sreeve. I think the confusion comes from the pronunciation of the name, which does sound like Shreeve. If there is another data point on the spelling to be considered, I would love to see the information. I only posted information that I thought was factually correct based on family spellings. Cp riverwoods 19:12, 11 November 2007 (UTC)
- Don't worry about it, and welcome to Wikipedia. My opinion on the spelling only comes from reading third-party histories that mention him, most of which spell it "Shreeve", for example:
- It's quite possible that "Sreeve" is the proper spelling; it's also possible that the spelling was standardized to Sreeve in a subsequent generation, and that Peterson spelled it either way. I guess the only way to know for sure would be to look at something he wrote and note how he wrote his own name. --TrustTruth 03:24, 12 November 2007 (UTC)
I am curious about some of the other information you have posted in the Charles Sreeve Peterson article. I believe you were the one who wrote he came to Utah in 1849. Where did you find this information. I have been unable to locate his name on any of the pioneer company's manifests. Do you know who we came with? Also, I am curious if you are a descendant of Charles Sreeve Peterson? Cp riverwoods 04:49, 12 November 2007 (UTC)
- Try http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=oakhurst&id=I0095. --TrustTruth 16:04, 12 November 2007 (UTC)
onlineutah.com as a reliable source
Regarding this removal of a ref, onlineutah.com is not eligible to be used as a reliable source. It is advertising for a realtor (not to mention adsense income), it's likely copyvio, and there is no indications of scholarship. There was also a discussion of this at Talk:Mantua Township, Portage County, Ohio#Mantua, Utah; if anything, the next place is probably to ask at WP:RSN. tedder (talk) 18:03, 3 November 2009 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Charles Sreeve Peterson. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20070627052701/http://www.whiteestate.org:80/books/pay/PAYC10.HTML to http://www.whiteestate.org/books/pay/PAYc10.html#sth2
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.