|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Note that Alexandra Robbins' book is called Secrets of the Tomb, not Secrets of the Tombs.... It's singular because it is one building. Still, if you insist on tombs, it's not worth an edit war. -- Someone else 06:40 Apr 11, 2003 (UTC)
I see there's been a brief edit war over whether or not the Bones building is called the tomb or the tombs. I can't speak for what it used to be called, but at least when I was at Yale, not too long ago, it was quite certainly the tomb. Like Someone Else, I don't want to start an edit war either, but I will go ahead and change it now. Remes 01:53, 9 Mar 2005 (UTC)
Mention should be made of his wives and companions, and his children. Catherine Hynmer and their 4 children, Hieronima(sp?) de Paiva and their son David, and perhaps others who were rumoured... and also of his children. +sj + 08:59, 18 Mar 2005 (UTC)
- Any decent text bio will suffice to improve on this; but see also a few online bits.
While Yale may have been born in Boston, MA, his family moved to Wales when he was two and he spent the rest of his entire childhood and youth growing up in Wales. He spent most of his working life in India and then spent his retirement back in Wales. He never once went to America. I do not know what he claimed to be but most people would not call him an "American". 18.104.22.168 (talk) 18:58, 23 April 2016 (UTC)
I propose editing the initial paragraph to "...was an English merchant..." And expanding the section about his early life: "Yale was born in Boston, MA, but his parents moved to England when he was two years old." To say he was an American would mean changing many other contemporary entries in Wikipedia - they were born in America (and some lived there for over 20 years) before living in England. They are called English. There was also no "American" country or concept of "American" citizenship at that time; but also - because of the important contribution they made to English society and English history; because they spent their adult lives in England; because they came from English families. He was certainly "a native of America". (22.214.171.124 (talk) 23:20, 23 April 2016 (UTC))
- Yeah, there was no warrant for that other IP editor to change it back. I added--as you may have seen--"American-born" since his birth is pretty important to his life and esp. his legacy. Thanks, Drmies (talk) 03:18, 1 December 2016 (UTC)
- "American-born" he may have been, but that's not the convention on Wikipedia. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wentworth_Miller - he was born in Britain (in England to be more specific) but is clearly considered an American. There are many other examples. How is "American-born" important to his birth - beyond (like all of us) simply being born?
Also - Britain didn't exist until way after his death so "British" is not applicable (we don't call Roman Emperors "Italian"). The "where he was born" and "his family background" can/should clearly be mentioned in the "Early Life / Life" section. Neither of the recent edits is warranted but the discussion is still open... 126.96.36.199 (talk) 22:36, 11 December 2016 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Elihu Yale. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20141108031612/http://histi3.commons.yale.edu/2014/11/01/elihu-yale-was-a-slave-trader/ to http://histi3.commons.yale.edu/2014/11/01/elihu-yale-was-a-slave-trader/
When you have finished reviewing my changes, please set the checked parameter below to true or failed to let others know (documentation at
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.