Talk:Great Eastern Railway
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
Could the content from the "archived page" be copied into this article? Could someone who knows about copyright stuff look into this?
Fair use rationale for Image:Great Eastern Railway.gif
Image:Great Eastern Railway.gif is being used on this article. I notice the image page specifies that the image is being used under fair use but there is no explanation or rationale as to why its use in this Wikipedia article constitutes fair use. In addition to the boilerplate fair use template, you must also write out on the image description page a specific explanation or rationale for why using this image in each article is consistent with fair use.
Please go to the image description page and edit it to include a fair use rationale. Using one of the templates at Wikipedia:Fair use rationale guideline is an easy way to insure that your image is in compliance with Wikipedia policy, but remember that you must complete the template. Do not simply insert a blank template on an image page.
If there is other other fair use media, consider checking that you have specified the fair use rationale on the other images used on this page. Note that any fair use images uploaded after 4 May, 2006, and lacking such an explanation will be deleted one week after they have been uploaded, as described on criteria for speedy deletion. If you have any questions please ask them at the Media copyright questions page. Thank you.BetacommandBot 22:16, 5 June 2007 (UTC)
This is a very good article, and I would like to grade it B and nominate for GA. But it still needs more in-line refs for that, Most sections are entirely unreferenced. I don't think it is unfactual, just not Wikipedia:Verifiability compliant. Wikipedia:Manual of Style/Lead section and When and why to create sources are jolly helpful too.
Thank you - I have recently joined the Great Eastern Railway Society (a very good source of infromation via the journal)and intend to further update, expand and improve this article as time and opportunity allow.--Davidvaughanwells (talk) 14:16, 23 March 2013 (UTC)
Could someone with more expertise enhance the write up to this uniique GER photo, of an unrebuilt B-12 class loco http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandy1000/8630100349/ please — Preceding unsigned comment added by Terry nyorks (talk • contribs) 11:12, 15 April 2013 (UTC)
- No, because its license is incompatible with Wikipedia. It's "© All rights reserved", which we don't permit - see Wikipedia:Upload/Flickr. --Redrose64 (talk) 11:37, 15 April 2013 (UTC)
Hello fellow Wikipedians,
I have just modified one external link on Great Eastern Railway. Please take a moment to review my edit. If you have any questions, or need the bot to ignore the links, or the page altogether, please visit this simple FaQ for additional information. I made the following changes:
- Added archive https://web.archive.org/web/20091231142723/http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/feeders.html to http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/feeders.html
When you have finished reviewing my changes, you may follow the instructions on the template below to fix any issues with the URLs.
You may set the
|checked=, on this template, to true or failed to let other editors know you reviewed the change. If you find any errors, please use the tools below to fix them or call an editor by setting
|needhelp= to your help request.
- If you have discovered URLs which were erroneously considered dead by the bot, you can report them with this tool.
- If you found an error with any archives or the URLs themselves, you can fix them with this tool.
If you are unable to use these tools, you may set
|needhelp=<your help request> on this template to request help from an experienced user. Please include details about your problem, to help other editors.
Overview and History
I have moved some of the general overview facts from that section to the into and renamed overview as history. It is my intention to expand the hsitry over the next few months. Comments, advice and help appreciated.--Davidvaughanwells (talk) 23:20, 7 December 2017 (UTC)
- Badly needed, go for it. This is an important article, but it is daunting for a newcomer to read (and that is who Wiki articles should be written for). There is too much obsessive detail early on; for example the second sentence in the entire article is that the GE was grouped into the LNER in 1923. That is true, but maybe not the second most urgent fact to put before a seeker after information.
- And for example (2) the caption to the war memorial is "Memorial at Liverpool Street station... unveiled in 1922 by Sir Henry Wilson, who was assassinated by Irish Republican Army gunmen on his way home from the unveiling ceremony." Again, true (I presume) but too much information too early.
- The "Constituent Companies" section is awful; "The history and exact status of many of these railways is quite complex." Well, clarify it, Dear Lisa. There are several non sequiturs in it. I think (it doesn't actually explain) that its purpose is to show the companies that were absorbed in 1862. But it is confused about whether to include companies that had already ceased to exist, shell companies that had already leased their entire operation to the ECR, etc etc. There are several apparent mistakes in this section.