Talk:John M. Kelly (politician)
|WikiProject Ireland||(Rated Start-class, Mid-importance)|
|WikiProject Biography / Politics and Government||(Rated Start-class)|
||It is requested that an image or photograph be included in this article to improve its quality.
The Free Image Search Tool may be able to locate suitable images on Flickr and other web sites.
We absolutely need a John Kelly disambiguation page. Right now, five different people are linked to the John Kelly page:
- the Irish politician
- the Admiral of the Fleet Sir John Kelly (see HMS Victory, 1931-1936)
- the "established fiddler" (see Music of Ireland)
- the author of the 2003 novel Checkmate
- the U.S. baseball umpire referred to in the Baseball Hall of Fame balloting, 1946 article.
<KF> 10:07, Feb 28, 2005 (UTC)
- Possibly a sixth as well - there was a John Kelly who was a member of the Northern Ireland Assembly between 1998 and 2003 for Sinn Fein. I'd be surprised if this is the same man as the Republic politician (who had by then retired). Timrollpickering 11:45, 16 Mar 2005 (UTC)
I am the brother of John Kelly the Irish politician and can absolutely confirm that he is not the John Kelly who was a member of the Northern Ireland Assembly between 1998 and 2003--in fact my brother died in 1991. He was, however, an author--of several legal works, but also of a novel ("Matters of Honour") and a second novel published posthumously, "The Polling of the Dead".
The admiral, fiddler, author of "Checkmate", and baseball umpire are certainly four distinct John Kellys.
Junior ministerial career
"He served in the Government of Liam Cosgrave (1973–77) as Parliamentary Secretary to the Taoiseach and while keeping that post also served as Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister for Defence until May 1977.."
Is there a good source for this? Kenny & Keane (1987) says he was PS to the Taoiseach 1973-77 and PS to the Minister for Foreign Affairs 1975-77. No mention of Defence (but then no mention of him being briefly Attorney General either, and other sources confirm he was that). Harfarhs (talk) 21:55, 23 July 2015 (UTC)