Talk:LGBT in the Middle East
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
|This article was created or improved during Wiki Loves Pride, 2014.|
German versions of Klauda works
It's important to have these, so that in case someone wants to write about this in French, Arabic, etc. they can translate directly from the original German.
We have the German version of one:
- Klauda, Georg. "With Islamophobia against Homophobia?" (Archive). MRZine, Monthly Review. 12/11/07. Originally published in German in: Arranca! (Für eine linke Strömung, DE) 37 (October 2007) as "Mit Islamophobie contra Homophobie?" (Archive).
- Klauda, Georg (English translation by Angelus Novus). "Globalizing Homophobia" (Archive). MRZine, Monthly Review. 08.12.10. Previous version appeared in Phase 2 No. 10 (December 2003). Also published as the first chapter of Die Vertreibung aus dem Serail: Europa und die Heteronormalisierung der islamischen Welt (Berlin: Männerschwarm-Verlag, 2008). Start page 15.
Start text: "Nach dem 11. September 2001 war eine der liberalen Rechtfertigungen für die militärische Intervention gegen Afghanistan die Unterdrückung der Frauen, aber" (and the title of the chapter is "Postkoloniale begegnungen") WhisperToMe (talk) 06:38, 26 June 2014 (UTC)
Old profile page of Before Homosexuality
http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/158218.ctl - See archives on Wayback Machine: http://wayback.archive.org/*/http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/158218.ctl WhisperToMe (talk) 23:40, 25 June 2014 (UTC)
I found a book review of this book, so it may be a good idea to gather more book reviews and write a Wikipedia article on the book itself!!!
- Eich, Thomas. "Before Homosexuality in the Arab-Islamic World, 1500-1800 by Khaled el-Rouayheb (book review)." Die Welt des Islams New Series, Vol. 46, Issue 2 (2006), pp. 226-228. Published by: BRILL.
Sabine Schmidtke on Europeans in the 19th Century and the Arab world
- Schmidtke, Sabine. "Before Homosexuality in the Arab-Islamic World, 1500-1800 (Book Review)" Bulletin of the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London, 2006, Vol.69(2), pp. 319–321. ISSN: 0041977X ; E-ISSN: 14740699. On JSTOR. p. 319 says:
- "In poetry the masculine beloved was as a rule translated into feminine, and sensitive passages were often rendered into Latin rather than French or German. [My note: It means homoerotic Muslim poetry was changed to target the female instead of the male, and Klauda talks about this in his works] By the same token, representatives of the homosexual liberation movement that emerged during the nineteenth century incorporated Arabic and Persian love poetry with homosexual connotations into their literary canon. Translations of the Arabian Nights, of Shaykh Nafzawrī’s Perfumed Garden and of poetry by Abū Nuwās or Sa‘dī are even now among the titles to be found in virtually every list of gay literature."
She stated that in history European travelers and scholars "were astonished, often disgusted" (from same page!) to encounter the same-sex poetry and actions in the eastern world.
I wonder where more information on this can be found, and even if there is a way to write an article on 19th Century European interactions with the Arab-Muslim world in regards to homosexuality WhisperToMe (talk) 16:37, 7 July 2014 (UTC)
- There was a time, everyone(except eastern world) shared same view. OccultZone (Talk • Contributions • Log) 17:02, 7 July 2014 (UTC)
On Samar Habib's book
So far I have one review:
- Stockdale, Nancy L. "Female Homosexuality in the Middle East: histories and representations SAMAR HABIB" (review). Women's History Review, 2012, Vol.21(3), p.501-503 [Peer Reviewed Journal]
- With 2-3 reliable sources we can make a page about the book. OccultZone (Talk • Contributions • Log) 07:37, 8 July 2014 (UTC)
I'm afraid I don't understand this statement: "Furthermore the reports of official and social discrimination on sexual orientation remains unfounded because of social pressure of not to discuss LGBT matters". Contaldo80 (talk) 11:00, 27 February 2015 (UTC)
Dearth of references
There is not a single inline citation provided for any of the statements made in the lead. Obviously, this is unacceptable and should be corrected immediately.220.127.116.11 (talk) 07:26, 15 June 2016 (UTC)