Talk:Lists of Muslims
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the Lists of Muslims article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|While the biographies of living persons policy does not apply directly to the subject of this article, it may contain material that relates to living persons, such as friends and family of persons no longer living, or living persons involved in the subject matter. Unsourced or poorly sourced contentious material about living persons must be removed immediately. If such material is re-inserted repeatedly, or if there are other concerns related to this policy, please see .|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
I have created a proposal for the reorganization of the lists of Muslims. It can be found at List of Muslims/Proposed Organization A. I have included comments about moves, merges, and deletions, but, of course, they wouldn't appear on the final page. joturner 22:46, 21 February 2006 (UTC)
- List of Muslim converts is no good for List of converts to Islam. The way it is now is good. Your proposal leaves too much ambiguity. Is it a list of Muslims who converted, or a list of people who converted and are now Muslims? I know what you mean in this instance, but if I'm reading this where there is no context explaining it to me, I would certainly be puzzled. Besides that, on a glance, your proposed setup is more manageable and looks aesthetically nicer. Pepsidrinka 23:03, 21 February 2006 (UTC)
- I do agree with that ambiguity, but I presumed it wouldn't be too bad considering we have the category w:Category:Muslim converts. To be consistent, I may just request a move to w:Category:Converts to Islam. joturner 23:10, 21 February 2006 (UTC)
Lets keep this article being a "List of (all) Muslims". --Striver 02:55, 22 February 2006 (UTC)
- Welcome back Striver! I think that the convert list is very large and really should be kept a separate page, but linked to the main list of Muslims article. Also the Islamic scholars article should be done the same way. We should do that for large lists. --a.n.o.n.y.m t 03:04, 22 February 2006 (UTC)
- Thank you brother Anonym. I started a dialog with Joturner in Talk:List of Muslims/Proposed Organization A, but he didnt respond to my objections and just went to do as he pleased. I dont aprove of his proposal, so im reverting him. Peace! --Striver 11:07, 23 February 2006 (UTC)
- That's not true; see Talk:List of Muslims/Proposed Organization A#Thanks for what I mean. joturner 11:26, 23 February 2006 (UTC)
Lists versus categories
A list has to be manually updated every time a new article that might be relevant is added, but categories are self-maintaining. I've seen a lot of opinions in the policy userspace (the metawiki) arguing for deprecating lists and stressing categories. Zora 03:39, 22 February 2006 (UTC)
- There's no reason it has to be updated that often. It can be sure, but it doesn't kill a list if it's not. Lists can also have criteria and add extra information.--T. Anthony 04:34, 22 February 2006 (UTC)
- It would be more than 1.3 billion. That is only the number of living Muslims. And then there is the question of whether or not we include fictional characters.Cryo921 17:12, 4 November 2007 (UTC)
I had the same concern, and am pleased to find it voiced already. --jholman, whose account will not let him in, and whose password wikipedia will not mail him
Where does Mohamed Atta fit in?
Thats the big question. With all these lists of scholars and scientists and what not, there should be a place where people like Mohamed Atta also fit in. Any suggestions? Or should we make a new list List of Muslim criminals? When you have these lists:
Why not have a List of Muslim criminals? Or is that going to be a POV issue now? Please provide your suggestions as to where Mohamed Atta should be placed. --Matt57 (talk•contribs) 15:37, 12 May 2007 (UTC)