Talk:List of poets from the United States
|This is the talk page for discussing improvements to the List of poets from the United States article.
This is not a forum for general discussion of the article's subject.
|This article must adhere to the biographies of living persons (BLP) policy, even if it is not a biography, because it contains material about living persons. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately from the article and its talk page, especially if potentially libellous. If such material is repeatedly inserted, or if you have other concerns, please report the issue to . If you are a subject of this article, or acting on behalf of one, and you need help, please see this help page.|
|This article is of interest to the following WikiProjects:|
move to be multiculturally sensistive
- A wise move, and one I wish I'd thought of, lo, those many years ago when I first posted that insufficient list. :-) Thanks, Cromwell! Jwrosenzweig 05:04, 13 April 2006 (UTC)
I don't find this list very useful as it is. Looking in the history of the main page, one can see that many of the entries have been entered by the poets themselves. Someone deleted an entry because the poet, this person felt, wasn't "notable" -- there are many, many poets on the list who would not be considered "notable" by most people in the poetry biz.
Here are some possible criteria to consider:
1. Limit entries to poets whose work has been published (not just self-published) in book form.
2. Limit entries to poets whose work has been published in nationally distributed journals and magazines.
3. Limit entries to poets who have an entry already in Wikipedia.
I realize that placing limitations is, in a sense, anti-Wiki in attitude. If people want this to be an anything-goes list, that's OK, too. Right now, though, it's a very odd mix.
Explanation for my removal of non-notables
For each red link, I ran the following search in Google: "<full name in list>" poet -"The poets listed below". I included -"The poets listed below" so the search didn't return any of the many Wikipedia mirrors out there. If this searched return no relevant hits, I removed the name from the list. If I've removed any legitimately notable poets, my apologies. Feel free to re-insert the names. --sanfranman59 (talk) 02:01, 20 May 2009 (UTC)
- Good work. On the List of Indian poets a while back, we started demanding footnotes showing notability for red links, but there's been backsliding, since. Reconsideration (talk) 13:06, 20 May 2009 (UTC)