Talk:Recurve bow

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

why is "riser" called that? (explain better please)[edit]

From the article, I get that the riser is the central, rigid section of the bow. A sentence tries to explain why the word "riser" is an appropriate name, but fails. The sentence is incomprehensible to me and perhaps many other readers. The sentence is currently:

The term 'riser' is used because, in a one-piece bow, the centre section rises from the limbs in a taper to spread the stress.

When first reading it, the reader has not yet encountered some of the terms used. Even after studying the definitions of terms further below, I don't know what it means for the centre section to "rise" from the limbs. The center section is between the limbs. With the bow vertical as in use, the center is above one limb (it would be reasonable to say that it rises from the lower limb) and it is below the upper limb (which rises from the center). Perhaps a diagram of this is needed, showing the bow horizontal, lying down with its "back" up or with its "belly" up. One of these ways, perhaps the center is higher than the limbs on each side. But then the other way, the center is lower (and what is called a "riser" could just as well be called a "dropper"???). And where is there any tapering? And what spreads stress, the tapering (whatever that is) or the rising? First of all, where does stress come from (i suppose from the bending of the bow, so basically the back of the bow is stressed in stretching and the belly is stressed in compression, I suppose. Why would tapering reduce stress? Or why would rising reduce stress? There is a lot packed into that sentence. --doncram 21:52, 2 July 2015 (UTC)